Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ring Fit Adventure is actually good

Bloodeyes

Arcane
I've been playing it for 85 days now. It's actually a good way to lose weight. I'm on world 15 (I think there are 23 worlds) and I'm way fitter than when I started. Apparently there are new game + and new game ++ modes so by the time I've finished both of those I should be fit enough to get into real exercise like the gym or something. I'm really surprised it's not getting the attention that Wii Fit got. It's an excellent tool for the non sporty person to get started with exercise.

I know most of you front as powerlifting ubermensch who don't need such things but I bet more than a few of you are actually quite fat and could benefit from this. As a game it's a very simple JRPG/platformer hybrid, but it really does gamify exercise in a way that makes it easy to stick with.

overly excitable young man

Good that you are more healthy now.
Everyone needs to find their own method.

Just remember that nobody owns a switch or should own a switch.

howlingFantods

Learned
I've been playing it for 85 days now. It's actually a good way to lose weight. I'm on world 15 (I think there are 23 worlds) and I'm way fitter than when I started. Apparently there are new game + and new game ++ modes so by the time I've finished both of those I should be fit enough to get into real exercise like the gym or something. I'm really surprised it's not getting the attention that Wii Fit got. It's an excellent tool for the non sporty person to get started with exercise.

I know most of you front as powerlifting ubermensch who don't need such things but I bet more than a few of you are actually quite fat and could benefit from this. As a game it's a very simple JRPG/platformer hybrid, but it really does gamify exercise in a way that makes it easy to stick with.

Glad it works for you OP. It does seem much more refined and effective than Wii fit from what I've seen.

Last time i checked gyms have treadmills.

Last time i checked the world basically is a treadmill.

He's saying it's cheaper than a treadmill AND more effective than one. The value in Ring Fit Adventure it to, like he said, "gamify" exercise so that you'll be motivated to stick with it. It seems like you're trying to make him feel bad about something that he feels good about for no reason.
I'd understand if he said he liked Oblivion's level scaling or something like that why you'd want to antagonize him and make him feel bad about that claim, but why do it for a game you haven't even played and that you don't even care about?
Maybe you were just running your default codexer script, but like pick your fights ya know?

overly excitable young man

Nah. It's good that he's more healthy and gets into sports.

But he should feel bad about giving Nintendo money.

but why do it for a game you haven't even played and that you don't even care about?
LOL. Where are we right now?

I've been giving it some playtime the past week or two. It's a great time and as an intense a workout as you allow it to be. The little ringcon avatar has infected me with a sensible chuckle more than once with his motivational one-liners.

The story mode is fun and charming enough, the face-offs vs the ripped dragon have had me sweating and pushing forward. Pulling or squeezing the ring is easy enough, less so while jogging or high-stepping after you've already gotten 30 minutes under your belt.

The real meat of the game for me are the challenge modes or build-a-workout modes. I'll usually clear a world in story mode and then jump into one of the two. Challenge mode particularly can put a hurting if you go through all of its sets, and it scoring you vs. the world is addictive in its own way.

All the little things like miscellaneous health tips,and measuring your heart rate over a course, putting you thru stretching routines after each session, it's all great and a surprising motivator. I tend to workout at home, always have, but this really does a good job motivating and keeping the pace. Will try to keep at it thru the summer and weightlift on days I'm not playing it.

Cerulean

Cipher
Thanks Gents. After lo these past couple of months, the quarantine has got me genuinely stir-crazy since exercise options are limited. If it rains I can't go riding, and there's no way I'm heading back into the gym again any time soon, even if they open my local one "in a limited capacity". Might have to stop by the ol' Costco and/or Target and finally pick up a Switch.

ultimanecat

Arcane
Might have to stop by the ol' Costco and/or Target and finally pick up a Switch.
Good luck (assuming you’re American). Everyone is stir crazy, and combined with free Trump bucks it’s been tough to find a Switch for a couple months now.

As for Ring Fit, I’d play it more but people live under me and the game has you stomping around a lot. If I can only use it during the day I may as well use the gym in my complex.

Cerulean

Cipher
Yeah you're right, trips today to Costco, Target, and Fry's today proved to be fruitless. As for online, the House of Jeff is only selling used via third-party, where it ships in 3 to 5 weeks. No thanks.

Guess that will have to wait. Oh well.

Bloodeyes

Arcane
As for Ring Fit, I’d play it more but people live under me and the game has you stomping around a lot. If I can only use it during the day I may as well use the gym in my complex.

Have you tried using quiet mode? You can activate it through settings. I've never used it but I think it's for apartment dwellers.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom