Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

"Alisa", PS1-style RE-clone set inside a doll house

Momock

Augur
Just to not be misunderstood: I am more than happy with tank controls + fixed cameras, just don't ask me to do cartoon platformer things with it, even less so in a survival horror.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
The less limitations/rules there are the dumber and less skillful the game is, ie all those modern open world sores that barely qualify as "games"

Depends on the type what kind of experience the dev are trying to make.
I mean one of the core features of Deus Ex is how open ended it's challenges are. DMC combat is good due to how limitless it is.
And open world games and sandboxes all about freedom. Unless you want to argue that open world is an inherently shit design for this reason.

those are some fine mental gymnastics to defend shitty tank controls.

RE4 and God Hand both have tank controls, and they are still some of the best action games.
You need to understand that old RE games were designed around those controls, and as such they are never cheap because of them and their challenges, and the overall experience, would lose impact without them.

Repressed Homosexual
PS1 horror games worked better because the primitive 3D and limited graphics made everything look ghostly and nightmarish.

Try to play Silent Hill Homecoming or Downpour for instance and the original one on PS1 and you will see that it really is true. When you can see all enemies too clearly it stops being an horror game, it becomes an action game.

Last edited:

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
PS1 horror games worked better because the primitive 3D and limited graphics made everything look ghostly and nightmarish.
When you can see all enemies too clearly it stops being an horror game, it becomes an action game.

:hmmm:

HHR I'm sorry to be the one to inform you of this, but uh... due the ps1 poor graphics you could see every enemy in RE1 quite clearly.

Repressed Homosexual
When you can see all enemies too clearly it stops being an horror game, it becomes an action game.

:hmmm:

HHR I'm sorry to be the one to inform you of this, but uh... due the ps1 poor graphics you could see every enemy in RE1 quite clearly.

Take levels in Silent Hill on PS1 like the school or just outside town, where it was foggy and monsters often had no facial features. It greatly added to the atmosphere.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
DMC combat is good due to how limitless it is.
And open world games and sandboxes all about freedom. Unless you want to argue that open world is an inherently shit design for this reason.

DMC combat is entirely constructed around "limitations".

A combo is only a combo because specific requirements are met, i.e. "limitations". You can't just press medium punch 5 times in Street Fighter and get a 5 hit combo (well you can in SF5 lol), you have to time the hits in order for the requirements of the combo to be met, in this example linking the hits in specific frames.

In SF5 you don't have to do that, you can just mash medium punch 5 times and you will get a 5 hit combo, and this is why lack of limitations = lower skill ceiling. This philosophy applies to all kinds of video game design.

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire

A combo is only a combo because specific requirements are met, i.e. "limitations". You can't just press medium punch 5 times in Street Fighter and get a 5 hit combo (well you can in SF5 lol), you have to time the hits in order for the requirements of the combo to be met, in this example linking the hits in specific frames.

In SF5 you don't have to do that, you can just mash medium punch 5 times and you will get a 5 hit combo, and this is why lack of limitations = lower skill ceiling. This philosophy applies to all kinds of video game design.
doing a combo in dmc3 is literally mashing triangle 7 times in less than a second

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
People on the codex: 2d graphics age so much better than early 3d!

Also people on the codex: Excuse me while I spooge over this game that was made to look like shit on purpose to be kind of like the ps1

How did they make it look so pixelated and shitty anyway? Is it running at 640x480 or something?

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Also, everyone on the codex holds the same opinion

except GhostCow, he's the one unique person not part of the Hivemind

image.png

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
You are implying that I implied some shit that I didn't, thus you are a dumbfuck with bad reading comprehension

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
You are implying that I implied some shit that I didn't, thus you are a dumbfuck with bad reading comprehension

You don't even know your own mind, you not only lack reading comprehension, you lack basic knowledge of yourself, did you by any chance eat paint chips as a kid?

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
I don't have the time or energy for your snarky faggotry and love of drama. Stay on topic

Viata

Arcane
To be fair, the combos in DMC comes from you breaking the limitations. A jump cancel is a big example of doing that, which is the most important thing to make crazy combos in DMC 3 and 4(can't say about 5, didn't play it).

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Depends on the type what kind of experience the dev are trying to make.
I mean one of the core features of Deus Ex is how open ended it's challenges are.
You totally get the genre wrong if you think limitations aren't part of it.
The core design of that type of game is to have to pick what you can really have as options to tackle. Of course, developers fail to deliver a good balance, the more complex the game (not complexity as in user complexity but complexity of development because of loads of diverse mechanics and interactions) the worst balanced and broken they tend to be in practice and developer intent isn't delivered. An example of a spectacular failure in that respect in recent times was Prey, and I loved playing Prey, but the skill system really is broken because it didn't deliver developer intent, being too easy to max too many skills, while some of those skills were also not very useful to upgrade to max because of certain game engine quirks (you don't need to max leverage because collisions of an item of lower mass that you can carry against something heavier will move the object for eg).
Ultimately the more complex games tend to fail as actual games but can deliver some other forms of entertainment value. (here, I use the term game broadly. Video games are just the electronic form of gaming. And yes, video game developers often miss the soul of what makes a game, well, a game. The part that appeals to the human desire to get better at something, even when it's a pointless thing. Chess, soccer, puzzle solving like rubik's cubes, pool, poker, these are all more like actual games than much of present times video games.)

Yet it's not a rule-free game. The rule here is to execute as diverse attacks as you can while keeping up pressure and avoiding damage. If you don't play with the scoring system in mind (which, admittedly, is not "required" if you just want to "reach the ending") the game is pretty pointless and becomes a boring hack and slash of not much challenge since the meat of the game is in learning all the moves and being able to do them well. In fact because a lot of people just outright ignore the scoring part they tend to dismiss DMC as just that weird animu hack n slash of little value. It is only those who pay attention who find the fun. A first playthrough at the baseline accessible difficulty modes if you're not even trying to learn how to get good scores is going to be perceived as boring as watching paint dry. "I'm randomly mashing buttans and things die and that's it. This game is shit!11!"

Open sores are inherently soporific, pointless, empty games devoid of value.

Last edited:

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
You totally get the genre wrong if you think limitations aren't part of it.

I didn't mean that.
But that more limitations isn't a recipe for good game design and that some game experiences fare better by being fairly unrestrained. Again it all depends on what kind of game the devs intend it to be.
The use of Deus Ex as an example is because one of it's most important aspects was how open-ended the player could tackle the game challenges compared to other RPG's. And while yes, how you solved it was tied to your character's build you where still given an incredible amount of freedom and the game didn't suffer for it, in fact it only enhanced the game.

Yet it's not a rule-free game. The rule here is to execute as diverse attacks as you can while keeping up pressure and avoiding damage.

I know.
I was talking on more superficial level of design. A very common mistake in far too many action games is giving the player all these tools, but then completely chaining him and say "oh no no, you can only use ability in this specific context".
And in DMC, and good action games in general, they seem to make a point of all abilities/weapons to have a certain situation that they are more suited for but at the same time being versatile enough that they can be used elsewhere and in conjunction with the remaining tools.

Open sores are inherently soporific, pointless, empty games devoid of value.

Come on, you can't say that of games like Morrowind.
I get the dislike for open-world games, and I agree that the vast majority of them are boring and lifeless.
The problem with that design choice it that making a singular, open, connected game world that feels believable and at the same can support meaningful content is something really difficult to pull off.
So of course most devs just don't have the talent or simply don't want to spend too much time/money on it. And that's why most are trite while only a handful are great

Last edited:
This looks great! I really like the PS1 style of graphics with those CGI graphic backgrounds. I think the odd voice acting lends to the weird overall aesthetic of the game, but the typos in the text should definitely be fixed, as those just show pure laziness and take the player out of the experience. Also, in regards to weird aiming with no feedback, the devs could consider a quick "bip" noise whenever you are "on-target". Make the sound very quick and easy on the ears. This way you are not staring at the corner of your screen when you could be absorbed in whatever is happening in game. Unless they do not want any additional feedback on aiming, in which case just ignore what I said and continue as before.

Momock

Augur
This looks great! I really like the PS1 style of graphics with those CGI graphic backgrounds. I think the odd voice acting lends to the weird overall aesthetic of the game, but the typos in the text should definitely be fixed, as those just show pure laziness and take the player out of the experience. Also, in regards to weird aiming with no feedback, the devs could consider a quick "bip" noise whenever you are "on-target". Make the sound very quick and easy on the ears. This way you are not staring at the corner of your screen when you could be absorbed in whatever is happening in game. Unless they do not want any additional feedback on aiming, in which case just ignore what I said and continue as before.
Aren't the typos as much part of the intended experience than the weird voice acting, PS1 graphics, etc?

Scarlet Lilith

Learned
"limitations of controls is a bad thing"

"why are there rules in a soccer game, why can't I pick up the ball with my hands instead of my feet it's dumb"

Games are defined by their limitations and how you overcome them within their framework dimwit

The less limitations/rules there are the dumber and less skillful the game is, ie all those modern open world sores that barely qualify as "games"
those are some fine mental gymnastics to defend shitty tank controls. i can see why you have a dumbfuck tag.
Tank controls are super important for this genre, without them you have a completely different type of game on your hands.
"Alisa" that sounds like "Alice", in a doll house?

Hopefully it could surpass the creepyness and atmosphere of Madness Returns dollhouse, which they would probably reach with PS1 style. Though tbh the creepyness of Alice's dollhouse is way off the chart with its themes and meanings
latest
Madness Returns is so underrated, loved it to bits.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom