Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

How feasible would it be to resurrect Ultima and Wizardry as modern franchises?

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
Wizardry is alive and well if you know where to look.

As for Ultima, who would be good at making a game with:

-Open world
-Party-based
-Non-linear story
-Simple but rewarding combat
-Detailed NPCs with schedules and backstories
-Extensive dungeons
-Deep dialogue and conversations
-Quirky, memorable party members
-Themes of morality and personal choice

:philosoraptor:

Hmm, nope, just can't think of anyone at all.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria

-Open world
-Party-based
-Non-linear story
-Extensive dungeons
Do you realise that if EA started to produce new Ultimas; they would give that job for Bioware?
Instead of any of those things there would be Iolo, Shamino & Dupre romances.

Azdul

Magister
Could a modern company acquire the licences and do it? Could they be Kickstarted as an indie?
Resurrecting Ultima could be done, but noone was stupid enough to do it yet.

Ultimas were innovative and progressive, while the fanbase is extremely conservative. Sequel that does not change anything will not be a true Ultima, but at the same time slightest changes will be seen as betrayal. Ultimas were also high budget titles, technically impressive at the time - so cheap indie remake just won't trigger the same response that Ultimas had at the time.

Mainstream name recognition and marketing potential is long gone - so there is no reason to trigger PTSD in the rabid fans by using Ultima name "in vain".

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Could a modern company acquire the licences and do it?

They could, but I hope not, since it would be a Wizardry or Ultima game in name only. The game mechanics and the things that made them Ultimas and Wizardries in the first place would be changed beyond recognition.
So then what's the point? Sell some more copies because of name recognition in the great Hollywood tradition?

Last edited:

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Ultimas were innovative and progressive, while the fanbase is extremely conservative.

Doesn’t this claim contradict itself on its face? What are you even trying to say?

Traditions are collections of innovations that worked. The widely acclaimed virtue system introduced in IV fits much more naturally into a trad way of looking at the world than the progtard.

cf. Haidt

Takamori

Learned
They could, but they would market it for the largest demographic for higher income. So you would only have a game in name, but a souless piece of shit appealing the current market that want instant gratification, zero reading and Hollywood VAs.
Monkey paw tier wish IMO.

Disciple

Savant
The Wizardry IP is owned by a Japanese company since forever and they have been releasing JRPG's like Wizardry Empire (which I don't like, but whatever). Though they probably do not have the rights to do a Wizardry 9. And considerung the legal swamp between Sir-Tech and Greenberg, I doubt that anyone has a clear idea on who owns all the rights to do a sequel.

As far as I know, the Wizardry IP was sold to a Japanese company (Aeria IPM, later absorbed by Gamepot/GMO) in late 2006. The Wizardry Empire games were made by a Japanese studio (Starfish, who later on would make the Elminage games) when the Wizardry IP was still in Sir-Tech Canada's hands.

Aeria/Gamepot is pretty much an MMO-only company development-wise, and Wizardry Online is the only Wizardry title they've developed themselves so far. The Labyrinth of Souls game for PS3, for instance, was made by an independent studio. To make things a bit more complicated, Sony bought a part of Gamepot before the acquisition of Aeria by Gamepot, so they could very well have a say in the future of the IP.

Last edited:

Hobo Elf

Arcane
There's no need. Wizardry and Ultima were the people who made them, not the title of the series. And if I was a new developer then I'd rather create my own legacy with my own series rather than add to someone elses fame. Only big corpos care about cashing out with a well known brand, smaller teams should be creating their own stuff because they have the freedom to do so.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
There's no need. Wizardry and Ultima were the people who made them, not the title of the series. And if I was a new developer then I'd rather create my own legacy with my own series rather than add to someone elses fame. Only big corpos care about cashing out with a well known brand, smaller teams should be creating their own stuff because they have the freedom to do so.

Both series also pretty much finished their main story arc, although Wizardry did it well and Ultima less so

Louis_Cypher

Arcane
For the love of God don't tempt EA

Fuck, I didn't know they had it.

:negative:

As others have said, Wizardry already has sequels, and nobody gives a toss.
But making a new Ultima is kind of like making a sequel to Wizard of Oz today. (more like Gold Diggers, but people know Wizard of Oz now) Sure someone can do that, but the deck is stacked against you because so many things went right for the first one. If you make a new one, well, the world has moved on. You've got the obvious bit, the underlying systems that were complex even back in the day. Well, those are still going to be complex, with the added bonus that you have to make them work in 3D. High-quality 3D, too. Then you've got the morality, nobody wants a video game about morality. Yeah, sure, journalists praised Spec Ops: The Line for its story, but that's journalists, it didn't sell well. Plus, work is bad isn't a hard sell among that crowd. Its basically Apocalypse Now for video games, except less interesting. Actually having to work at morality? The average player just wants to kill stuff and a journalist just wants to sound smart. You've got one hell of an uphill battle there. If such a thing happens, people will probably hate it at launch, and have mixed feelings afterward.
That said, I'm surprised Bioware never tried to get their hands on Ultima. I guess either everyone there when they got bought either never heard of it, or didn't want to risk such blasphemy.

BioWare eventually created their own IP so they didn't have to pay anyone Star Wars or D&D royalties, so they wouldn't have wanted it back then. Now that they have EA's hand up a hole in their back, I dunno. There have been rumors of Star Wars being given to them again. Aside from making something called Ultima X in name only, just to keep the franchise ticking over in public imagination, the way each modern Final Fantasy does not really have much in common with older entries, I can't see BioWare being a good fit, they make (made) their own genre. I dunno which current developer would really be suited to this. It might have to be a new studio.

I think you could make a good selling point out of those old features you mention. It could be a novelty. Maybe a revival series would be better as a small budget game with tons of depth.

kGXrR8b.png

I'm not sure morality and virtue would be an impossible sell, if you went straight to the gaming customer. People say that Star Trek is too old fashioned. That the old fashion humanism of the older series does not have a place in the modern world. (Aside from how a Star Trek parody is doing pretty well under just those moral strictures). But, like Tolkien, Star Trek was never morally simple to begin with, and precisely when we are overloaded with grim entertainment is kinda when the novelty of having principles is potentially most powerful. A game than leans into the old themes, and is about ethics? That could find a surprising audience. Superman or Captain America are admirable to many kids because their integrity and honor are virtues in any age, not just WW2.

I'm glad the series died rather than continue to live on in some frankenzombie form like Final Fantasy.

What's the point of resurrecting a series instead of making a new one other than for nostalgia scamming purposes?

They could, but I hope not, since it would be a Wizardry or Ultima game in name only. The game mechanics and the things that made them Ultimas and Wizardries in the first place would be changed beyond recognition.
So then what's the point? Sell some more copies because of name recognition in the great Hollywood tradition?

For me, I guess the main point would be to ensure that the old ones are not forgotten.

An ongoing franchise drums up interest in the early entries, and memorializes them, finding new players. If all of the Ultima/Wizardry generation die off, then there is no more Codex top 70 with Wizardry 7 and 8 highly placed. Hell, it's even potentially a franchise that would build bridges with Japanese fans; a western export. So the preservation of a franchise may not always be done for scamming purposes, but sometimes to try to build cross-generation preservation. Like sometimes a re-release is a scam by Sony to make money of a PS1 game they have already sold a customer 4 separate times. But sometimes having Final Fantasy IV released on 5 platforms, and modern entries coming out, means it is ultra-available in perpetuity. I'm very big on gaming preservation.

Wizardry is alive and well if you know where to look.

-Open world
-Party-based
-Non-linear story
-Extensive dungeons

:philosoraptor:

Hmm, nope, just can't think of anyone at all.

That guy who made Kenshi? :D

Resurrecting Ultima could be done, but noone was stupid enough to do it yet.

Ultimas were innovative and progressive, while the fanbase is extremely conservative. Sequel that does not change anything will not be a true Ultima, but at the same time slightest changes will be seen as betrayal. Ultimas were also high budget titles, technically impressive at the time - so cheap indie remake just won't trigger the same response that Ultimas had at the time.

Mainstream name recognition and marketing potential is long gone - so there is no reason to trigger PTSD in the rabid fans by using Ultima name "in vain".

This is where we geeks can sometimes act against the interests of our games. Yes, we should object to shit adaptations of good things, like a revival of Star Trek that completely misses the tone. But we should not set the bar so high the standards are impossible to reach, and maybe forgive a few growing pains in the knowledge that life isn't perfect. After all, the original games were not perfect themselves, they were a 20-year work in progress. A good simulacrum, like The Mandalorian, that hews close to the intent of the original source material should be welcomed.

When you have the vision of an auteur guiding a franchise, like Richard Garriott or George Lucas or Gene Roddenberry or J Michael Straczynski, it can be difficult for new people to capture all the themes of the original. But with sufficient love of the material, you can hew pretty close to the original intent, making simulacra that are barely less faithful than the original, or even 'add' something. The entertainment industry, specifically Hollywood, had been working under the assumption born out of their origins in shoveling scripts like they are an artless commodity, that artistic vision didn't matter. But people are waking up to how important tone, themes, intent, etc are. How does that translate to gaming? I guess recent revivals and remakes of classic games have started to take their origins more seriously, like Sonic Mania or Streets of Rage 4.

V_K

Arcane
Has everyone already forgotten Ultima Forever? Well let me remind you:

Ultima Forever: Quest for the Avatar was a free-to-play, cross-platform, online, action role-playing game developed by Mythic Entertainment and Escalation Studios and published by Electronic Arts. It was formally a part of the Ultima series. Information was previously released by BioWare in mid-2011 and more information was released on July 11, 2011. It was officially announced at the San Diego Comic-Con International on July 12, 2012 and it was fully released for iOS on August 7, 2013.[1][2] The game was shut down on August 29, 2014.[3]

Gameplay[edit]
We took Ultima IV, with all of its ethical moral choice, which was innovative for its time, and updated it for the next generation.
—Kate Flack[4]

The game was based upon Ultima IV, but was considered by Mythic to be an "action role-playing game". Ultima Forever included both online play with a group, as well as a single-player mode. Unlike Ultima IV, there was a Lady British character instead of Lord British. This was due to Richard Garriott retaining the trademark rights after he left Electronic Arts. Mythic emphasized that the Virtues from the Ultima series would play an important part.

Ultima Forever featured a top-down isometric point of view, with "hand-painted backgrounds and 3D characters."[5]
Ultima_Forever_3.jpg

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Ultima recently had Underworld Ascendant which used the Ultima Underworld license and was godawfull. I say that IP is burned for all interested publishers in the near future.

Wizardry is an odd one because the license, and the entire gameplay style of the blobber, no longer exists in the public conscience of the west. Blobbers are exclusively Japanese or retro products.
Japan has a "Wizardry Brand Revitalisation Plan" recently which seems to have ended in 2016. Since I cant read Japanese I cant say how commercially successfull it has been.

So both are pretty unlikely and if we get a new Wizardry it will be a JRPG.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
When you have the vision of an auteur guiding a franchise, like Richard Garriott or George Lucas or Gene Roddenberry or J Michael Straczynski,

, you should be respectful towards that auteur's vision and not resurrect the franchise after it's been laid to rest and the auteur himself is either dead or no longer involved.

As dubious as Rhianna Pratchett's skill as an author is, at least she has shown wisdom in laying her father's Discworld series to rest instead of continuing to write books in them, as would be her right as his heir.

The greatest sign of respect towards a great author's work is to leave it some time to rest.

Mortmal

Arcane

Azdul

Magister
Doesn’t this claim contradict itself on its face? What are you even trying to say?
Traditions are collections of innovations that worked.
Every Ultima (except Serpent Isle) was running on new engine written from scratch to take advantage of latest and greatest hardware.

Current games copying the style of Ultima V, or Ultima Online (Legend of Aria) seem like sick cargo cult, worshipping artifacts of the past, without appreciation or understanding that Origin and Garriot were pushing the boundaries of technology available at the time to create believable worlds.

From lasers and spaceships of early Ultimas to synth rock soundtrack of UO2, Ultimas were always forward-looking - exact opposite of nostalgic revivals of good old days.

Louis_Cypher

Arcane
, you should be respectful towards that auteur's vision and not resurrect the franchise after it's been laid to rest and the auteur himself is either dead or no longer involved.

As dubious as Rhianna Pratchett's skill as an author is, at least she has shown wisdom in laying her father's Discworld series to rest instead of continuing to write books in them, as would be her right as his heir.

The greatest sign of respect towards a great author's work is to leave it some time to rest.

I'm coming from a perspective of preservation. For example, I would rather that Babylon 5 was not forgotten, because of how valuable it is to me, but wouldn't want it to go ahead without Staczynski's blessing and direction (Warner Bros hold it in aimless purgatory, while the man who made it great ages). I guess due to their historical importance to all gaming, it seems a nice fantasy to me, that one day there would be new releases. While I can't argue with your point, because there are many circumstances under which I would rather something remain dead than corrupted, the one thing I would point out is that we have both been speaking for these auteurs. How about we ask them? After all, some creators are glad to have others take the reins. Obviously most people don't have a hotline to the original developers, but does anyone, for example, recall Richard Garriott's opinion from interviews?

Desiderius

Patron
I'm not sure morality and virtue would be an impossible sell, if you went straight to the gaming customer. People say that Star Trek is too old fashioned. That the old fashion humanism of the older series does not have a place in the modern world. (Aside from how a Star Trek parody is doing pretty well under just those moral strictures). But, like Tolkien, Star Trek was never morally simple to begin with, and precisely when we are overloaded with grim entertainment is kinda when the novelty of having principles is potentially most powerful. A game than leans into the old themes, and is about ethics? That could find a surprising audience. Superman or Captain America are admirable to many kids because their integrity and honor are virtues in any age, not just WW2.

:d1p::brodex::bravo:

Desiderius

Patron
Traditions are collections of innovations that worked.
Every Ultima (except Serpent Isle) was running on new engine written from scratch to take advantage of latest and greatest hardware.

Current games copying the style of Ultima V, or Ultima Online (Legend of Aria) seem like sick cargo cult, worshipping artifacts of the past, without appreciation or understanding that Origin and Garriot were pushing the boundaries of technology available at the time to create believable worlds.

From lasers and spaceships of early Ultimas to synth rock soundtrack of UO2, Ultimas were always forward-looking - exact opposite of nostalgic revivals of good old days.

Not copying, not worshipping, not cargo cult, with appreciation and understanding. Can't look forward unless you know where you've been. Forward is defined by what you've left behind.

Only the Almighty does Creatio ex Nihilo. Best leave that to the big guy and try something more human-sized. The temporal chauvinism of always having to be original about everything and invent every wheel from scratch is why so many games suck and all y'all are so miserable.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom