Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress [LP CYOA] Tower

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Stat boosts. Staaaaat booosts!

A. You accept Tlalli’s offer and pick two books.
III. Flora and Fauna of the Tower
IV. A Primer to Astras
B. Ranged combat. Although not as proficient as her melee skills, Tlalli is still far more adept than you at engaging a target from a distance.
C. The Cannibal Duke, John Bull.

I think mathematics would be overkill out in the wilds, and we could use something more relevant to our environment. Then again, perhaps we can learn about Astras anywhere, and there won't always be time to study...

I will get my SMG elves! And a revolver!

Tough choice about the topic. Association is definitely something I am curious about, but I want to hear more about Tlalli herself... or her nemesis, I suppose. Tell me who your friends are... or as the case may be, who are your enemies.

Baltika9

Arcane
A: II+III
A>B.
Grandma just got done giving a wedgie to a shapeshifter, and dropkicked Mr. Bull. That's pretty cool, I wanna do that.
D>A

treave, can we ask her for some chocolate?

Last edited:

hello friend

Arcane
IV. A Primer to Astras
VI. How to Make Friends. Cmon, we have to pick this. It's so dorky. Edit: > III. Flora and Fauna of the Tower.
A. Melee and unarmed combat. > E. Traps
A. The association that she belongs to, the Hunters. > C. The Cannibal Duke, John Bull.

Last edited:

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
You accept Tlalli’s offer and pick two books.

IV>III>II>I>V>VI

Tlalli has offered to train you on your journey. She will teach you a little of everything, but you would like to focus on improving:

C

While being trained, you can muster up the conversational energy to ask about a single topic of Tlalli. You ask about:

D>A>C>E

Last edited:

Absinthe

Arcane
Treave, does asking Tlalli about what the Cannibal Duke meant by us being marked count as a whole conversation or can we just ask her now? And can we ask whether it would've been a good idea to attack the Cannibal Duke?

Kipeci

Arcane
A IV C B

One of the great advanatges we have going for us is the wisdom to make good use of the fancy new Astras. I’d certainly like to get basic tips from Tlalli and a primer to refer to while we’re away from her, seems that our ability to map things is immediately of use even as unskilled as we are so that could go a ways toward securing some help. Also Tlalli seems to be an interesting character, wouldn’t mind knowing more about her and how she worked up to this point.

Baltika9

Arcane
Bros, I think we should learn Tlalli's greatest strengths from her, namely her melee and unarmed skills.

I dont think we should focus on melee.
I understand that we already did a martial-arts playthrough, but if we're going to be messing around with monsters, then we ought to be prepared for when they come in to melee range. All professional archers were also trained melee fighters, and while personal firearms made those skills much less relevant in our world, the same does not seem to hold true in this one.

Kipeci, you can choose two books for the first choice. Unless you want to take the same astra book twice.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
All professional archers were also trained melee fighters
Yes, but they were professional archers first.

I want to favor a ranged build. Let's take a lead here, then I will be fine with getting melee as a backup skill.

At our level it hardly matters what Tlalli's greatest strengths are, because we can only grasp the basics of what she could teach us.
Unless you want to take the same astra book twice.
Is there an option to read it seven times for the story? :M

Baltika9

Arcane
At our level it hardly matters what Tlalli's greatest strengths are, because we can only grasp the basics of what she could teach us.
While basics are indeed indeed basics, I would counter that by saying that, from personal experience, the quality of your fighting instructor matters a lot when laying down your foundations. I think that Tlalli can best help us by teaching us the basics of her area of greatest skills: martial and unarmed combat, though I'll take ranged over all other options right now.

Gentlemen, we are not yet home, and the upper reaches of the Tower are dark and full of danger. We need some combat skills to keep the girls safe.
I want to favor a ranged build. Let's take a lead here, then I will be fine with getting melee as a backup skill.
I can respect that.
Yes, but they were professional archers first.
Meh, I'd rather become a John Wick type of guy: equally comfortable at long range and up close. I don't see a need to specialize in one type of combat.
Is there an option to read it seven times for the story? :M
Only if it's shit.
+M

Orbit

Scholar
Bros, I think we should learn Tlalli's greatest strengths from her, namely her melee and unarmed skills.
Between being the embodiment of a fire god and doing a few martial arts tricks I'm not sure the latter can hold up. But maybe Tlalli is Zhang Jues long lost sister and we just need to dial up our wuxia.

Absinthe

Arcane
I guess I'll vote the following:

1 A I (Astrology) > IV (Astra lore) > V (Mathematics)
2 A > C
3 D > No real preference, so anything but E

Last edited:

Kalarion

Serial Ratist
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
A- II, III. In the space of less than a year we've been: fighting for our lives against creatures that are like nothing we've ever seen or heard of, unwillingly teleported SIX FLOORS, heard tantalizing hints of our calling to go to the White Wall and break through it (metaphorically speaking... :smug: )... we need to have some idea of the water that we swim in, so to speak. A hunter should always have at least a general idea of his environment and his potential encounters.

B > C- I want us to be the most terrifying, legendary sniper in existence. I WANT RANGED 10! I'd also like to start learning Astras though. Tough choice for me.

A > B- Either one is fine with me. Slight preference for knowledge of the organization that deals with stuff like the horror we fought in the woods (I hope).

Esquilax

Arcane
I III: Picking the loredump option, in this case, the book about Gods and Astras, is always a winner. On the other hand, I'm torn between the Alchemy book and the Primer on Astras. They are both really useful, and I could be persuaded to flop to the latter, but learning how to brew potions seems like an interesting focus for our budding witcher.

A>B: Guys, remember that our Astra is a book, not a weapon. Maybe with time, it might have capabilities that will allow us to defend ourselves, but for now, that's just not the case. That means that if we get into a violent situation, we still have to rely on our own wits and our mundane, non-Astra weapons. We've already got the sling, may as well hone those skills some more.

D: Baltika9, we don't deserve chocolate. Because Grandma risked her life to save us, yet we want to ask about anything but her. You're all bad, selfish grandchildren. Shame on you.

Last edited:

Baltika9

Arcane
Baltika9, we don't deserve chocolate. Because Grandma risked her life to save us, yet we want to ask about anything but her. You're all bad, selfish grandchildren. Shame on you.
You make a fantastic counterpoint. The Hunters are cool, but Grandma is the coolest. Flopping to 3: D>A to get to know our benefactor and future instructor (and grandmother) better.

Now, if only you could recognize that the best thing we can learn from her are her melee and MMA skills. I completely agree with this sentiment:
Guys, remember that our Astra is a book, not a weapon. Maybe with time, it might have capabilities that will allow us to defend ourselves, but for now, that's just not the case.
I have 2B as my second because of this, but jsut think about it: all two of our encounters so far have ended up in close quarters combat. Let's reinforce that and get Tlalli, one of the few people in the tower, to give us a solid foundation. It's outright stated that unarmed skills are extremely rare in this setting:
Unarmed
An art with few practitioners and even fewer masters, the skill to engage in combat without a weapon is exceedingly rare in the Tower. (STR + DEX)
Between being the embodiment of a fire god and doing a few martial arts tricks I'm not sure the latter can hold up. But maybe Tlalli is Zhang Jues long lost sister and we just need to dial up our wuxia.
She is a disciple of the Great Fist God, fucking confirmed.

Last edited:

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Planning ahead, learning more of astras from someone who can actually summon a god into herself sounds very much like something we want to know more of. Rather than how to apply force to another using a blunt/sharp implement. Which is a skill we can pick up from more mundane people as well.

Baltika9

Arcane
Planning ahead, learning more of astras from someone who can actually summon a god into herself sounds very much like something we want to know more of.
Indeed, but we won't become an Avatar of Khaine for some time yet, and all we have right now is a book whose loyalties are dubious at best. On the other hand, we will be fighting in the near future, and quite possibly during our trek through the other five floors on our way home. This is why I prioritize our combat skills right now.
Rather than how to apply force to another using a blunt/sharp implement. Which is a skill we can pick up from more mundane people as well.
Not to the extent that Tlalli can teach us, being an expert in both:
A. Melee and unarmed combat. This is Tlalli’s specialty, and being able to hold your ground in close quarters would be important in a fight.

Esquilax

Arcane
Flopped to 1 A>B, changed my original post to reflect it.

Indeed, but we won't become an Avatar of Khaine for some time yet, and all we have right now is a book whose loyalties are dubious at best. On the other hand, we will be fighting in the near future, and quite possibly during our trek through the other five floors on our way home. This is why I prioritize our combat skills right now.

Obviously it's long-term thinking, but I would imagine that powers like that take an insane toll on one's body - being possessed by the essence of a God can't be healthy:

“Hah, well, that’s the thing, girl. Back, oh, maybe two hundred years ago, the holders of the Eye would empower it with sacrifices. The hearts of three strong children like yourselves would grant the wielder supreme power for thirty years.” The old lady’s eyes twinkle with amusement as she watches Sophie draw back behind you in fright. “Oh, we can’t really do that anymore nowadays, you know. Child sacrifice and all that’s old tradition, it’s behind the times for we Azteca,” chuckles Tlalli. “After so many centuries, we’ve finally understood that the gods care not what you sacrifice, only that you pay the price.”

I think that our character, with his powerful constitution/willpower combo would really shine with a power like this, with the caveat that it's to be used sparingly. Even then, I wouldn't be surprised that even a single use without the appropriate Astra proficiency will weaken us - wouldn't be surprised if it would result in a stat hit too. But if we get cornered by Mr. Bull down the road again, might be the ace up our sleeve that we need to make it out without ending up on a spit roast.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
A =>
II. Towerspace: A Topological Study
IV. A Primer to Astras

B > C

Being able to defend ourselves while we go back home is a good idea

A. The association that she belongs to, the Hunters.

Last edited:

hello friend

Arcane
Baltika9, we don't deserve chocolate. Because Grandma risked her life to save us, yet we want to ask about anything but her. You're all bad, selfish grandchildren. Shame on you.
You make a fantastic counterpoint. The Hunters are cool, but Grandma is the coolest. Flopping to 3: D>A to get to know our benefactor and future instructor (and grandmother) better.

Now, if only you could recognize that the best thing we can learn from her are her melee and MMA skills. I completely agree with this sentiment:
Guys, remember that our Astra is a book, not a weapon. Maybe with time, it might have capabilities that will allow us to defend ourselves, but for now, that's just not the case.
I have 2B as my second because of this, but jsut think about it: all two of our encounters so far have ended up in close quarters combat. Let's reinforce that and get Tlalli, one of the few people in the tower, to give us a solid foundation. It's outright stated that unarmed skills are extremely rare in this setting:
Unarmed
An art with few practitioners and even fewer masters, the skill to engage in combat without a weapon is exceedingly rare in the Tower. (STR + DEX)
She is a disciple of the Great Fist God, fucking confirmed.
I agree with this. Hard flopping to D, let's get to know sensei some more.

Esquilax

Arcane
A thought: I think we are ignoring and glossing over the Towerspace book. Not understanding Towerspace is kinda what got us into this mess, and learning how to orient ourselves is critical if we want to come home back to Rain. Pulling an Odysseus and getting sidetracked for ten years doesn't seem like what we want. We have a map Astra, sure, but a knowledge of how Towerspace works and knowing the correct routes is pretty essential. It might actually be the most important book out of all of them.

Plus, it most likely would involve a loredump.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Great update, got to love all these choices.

A. Books

B. Skills

B. Ranged combat

C. Conversation

A. The association that she belongs to, the Hunters

I think we should go with Towerspace and Flora and Fauna because those are both vital to being able to navigate through the tower efficiently while being able to sustain ourselves and Rain. God knows what could happen and if we need to escape quickly from the village, it'd do us good to have books that can prepare us for it. Plus, since we have been doing a ton of book stuff, I think getting books related to our Hunter background will do us well. I think we should learn about Astras organically, letting it come to us slowly and instinctively, versus trying to rush it.

I lean towards the ranged combat for the same reason I'm for picking the practical books. We have a decent WIS score and hopefully we can raise it higher as we go along by experimenting and trying new things. I think it's important to develop a mastery of our body and mind before we dive too deep into Astras, because if we become too reliant on them it could definitely be problematic if we're unlucky with our drops or get separated somehow. And of course, I'm sure the quality and strength of our Astras scales upwards in some way in relation to how powerful or wise or skillful our other skills and body gets.

Finally, I'd say the Association is what we should ask about because this is a decent goal. If this Association is legit, and there's a way we can use it to establish ourselves and learn a ton, it's going to be our end goal. Either that, or one of those Knightly Orders, and I'd lean towards the Hunter's Association over them so we can avoid being tied down to a specific country and their goals. Asking about Grandma is nice and all, but there's a decent chance that we'll be seeing her again in the future when we're older, and I'd rather have such conversations when we're better equipped to participate. Also, there is a good chance that we might be able to learn more about her through other Hunters. When we get dropped off back in Scotsfield, who knows when we'll run into anyone else that can tell us about the Association.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Stat boosts. Staaaaat booosts!

IV. A Primer to Astras
B. Ranged combat. Although not as proficient as her melee skills, Tlalli is still far more adept than you at engaging a target from a distance.

I think mathematics would be overkill out in the wilds, and we could use something more relevant to our environment. Then again, perhaps we can learn about Astras anywhere, and there won't always be time to study...

I will get my SMG elves! And a revolver!

Tough choice about the topic. Association is definitely something I am curious about, but I want to hear more about Tlalli herself... or her nemesis, I suppose. Tell me who your friends are... or as the case may be, who are your enemies.
I make the same choice for the books. Knowledge of the astras is vital and knowledge of the flora may help our alchemy be a bit more useful.

A

But for combat, I think this is a rare opportunity to have a master in melee teach us. Especially since we seem to constantly use melee.
A>C

I also agree that we need to know more about John Bull and possibly why our mark interested him.
C

Last edited by a moderator:

Kz3r0

Arcane
I. Stars, Cosmos, Gods

III.
Flora and Fauna of the Tower

C. Astra usage.

A IV. A Primer to Astras

A V. Mathematics Part I

C. Astra usage.
Alternative: E. Traps.

A. The association

A IV + III, so that we can tell what Astra our enemies might be holding and also know a bit more about them.
C>B, I dont think we should focus on melee.
A, seems the most interesting.

1A
III.
>
>
IV. A Primer to Astras
>
I. Stars, Cosmos, Gods
>
V. Mathematics Part I
>
VI. How to Make Friends

D.
Alchemy
>
B. Ranged combat
>
E. Traps
>
C. Astra usage
>
A. Melee and unarmed combat

B.
The monsters that she hunts
>
>
D. Her personal history
>
C. The Cannibal Duke, John Bull
>
E. Nothing

I + V
C
A

IV. A Primer to Astras

A: I+IV
A>B.
Grandma just got done giving a wedgie to a shapeshifter, and dropkicked Mr. Bull. That's pretty cool, I wanna do that.
A
Flopping to 1 A: II+III

IV. A Primer to Astras
VI. How to Make Friends. Cmon, we have to pick this. It's so dorky. Edit: > III. Flora and Fauna of the Tower.

A. Melee and unarmed combat. > E. Traps

A. The association that she belongs to, the Hunters. > C. The Cannibal Duke, John Bull.

You accept Tlalli’s offer and pick two books.

IV>III>II>I>V>VI

Tlalli has offered to train you on your journey. She will teach you a little of everything, but you would like to focus on improving:

C>E>D>A>B

While being trained, you can muster up the conversational energy to ask about a single topic of Tlalli. You ask about:

A>D>C>E

I guess I'll vote the following:

1 A I (Astrology) > IV (Astra lore) > V (Mathematics)
2 A > C
3 No real preference, so anything but E

A- II, III.

B > C- I want us to be the most terrifying, legendary sniper in existence.

A > B- Either one is fine with me.

I III: Picking the loredump option

A>B: Guys, remember that our Astra is a book, not a weapon.

D: Because Grandma risked her life to save us, yet we want to ask about anything but her.

Flopped to 1 A>B, changed my original post to reflect it.

A =>
IV. A Primer to Astras

C. Astra usage. You would like to train in your ability to use an Astra more efficiently, and also to understand your current Astra better.

I'll flop on the skill and on the discussion subject.

A =>
IV. A Primer to Astras

B > C > A

Being able to defend ourselves while we go back home seems like a good idea. But I prefer learning about Astra rather than learning melee combat

D. Her personal history.

Hard flopping to D, let's get to know sensei some more.

Great update, got to love all these choices.

A. Books

B. Skills

B. Ranged combat

C. Conversation

I make the same choice for the books. Knowledge of the astras is vital and knowledge of the flora may help our alchemy be a bit more useful.

A

But for combat, I think this is a rare opportunity to have a master in melee teach us. Especially since we seem to constantly use melee.
A

I also agree that we need to know more about John Bull and possibly why our mark interested him.
C

AII, IV

B>E>C

A

Books
A
III.
IV. A Primer to Astras

Training: All of them are good.
E

Conversation:
A. The association that she belongs to, the Hunters. > D. Her personal history.

BOOKS

I. Stars, Cosmos, Gods
4 votes
2 conditionals

6 votes
1 conditionals

11 votes
1 conditionals

IV. A Primer to Astras
11 votes
1 conditionals

V. Mathematics Part I
2 votes
3 conditionals

VI. How to Make Friends
1 vote

B. You do not take any books –

SKILLS:
A.
Melee and unarmed combat.
5 votes
2 conditionals

B. Ranged combat.
5 votes
5 conditionals

C. Astra usage.
6 votes
6 conditionals

D. Alchemy.
1 vote
1 conditionals

E. Traps.
1 vote
5 conditionals

CONVERSATION:
9 votes
1 conditionals

B. The monsters that she hunts.
2 votes
2 conditionals

3 votes
2 conditionals

D. Her personal history.
3 votes
3 conditionals

E. Nothing.

Last edited:

a cut of domestic sheep prime

A thought: I think we are ignoring and glossing over the Towerspace book. Not understanding Towerspace is kinda what got us into this mess, and learning how to orient ourselves is critical if we want to come home back to Rain. Pulling an Odysseus and getting sidetracked for ten years doesn't seem like what we want. We have a map Astra, sure, but a knowledge of how Towerspace works and knowing the correct routes is pretty essential. It might actually be the most important book out of all of them.

Plus, it most likely would involve a loredump.
I don’t know, I think towerspace is kind of obvious: it’s unpredictable.

I doubt that going down always leads you up or vice versa. It’s more likely that caves or passages within the tower can lead you different and unpredictable places. John Bull’s Astra that supposedly lets him teleport between floors is another aspect of the unpredictable nature of towerspace.

When it comes to towerspace, I expect the only rule is that there are no rules, or at least none that there aren’t exceptions to.

While it’s possible the book might contain information on a shortcut or similar, but I would rather stick to a safer path. If our last shortcut was any indication, dangerous creatures live in the shortcuts.

And I’ll point out that I did warn that going down might lead us up to another floor. It’s not like we didn’t know about tower space, we just didn’t believe in it in sufficient numbers to affect the vote. That said, I think not facing the beast was the right choice.

Last edited by a moderator:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom