Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware What would a new MMO need to do to get you hooked?

J1M

Arcane
Whether you are addicted to WoW, wasting time on F2P garbage, or completely checked out, what would it take for a new MMO to get you to spend 100s of hours playing it. (As you have presumably done before if you are reading this forum.)

What would it need to do to win your attention?
What would it need to do differently than current releases?

ADL

Prophet
Emergent gameplay systems and meaningful player interactions that actually take advantage of the fact that you have hundreds or thousands of concurrent users on a single server.

Because as is... You currently have third rate questing games that are inherently held back by the limitations that come along with having hundreds of thousands of clients connected on a single server but you don't have anything taking advantage of all those players or meaningful interactions. It's all the same "go to X waypoint, kill 10 things and bring me Y item" tab target shit that would've at least had Dragon's Dogma quality combat if it were a 4 player co-op game.

Last edited:

Mortmal

Arcane
Emergent gameplay systems and meaningful player interactions that actually take advantage of the fact that you have hundreds or thousands of concurrent users on a single server.
Same, that will NEVER happen. Even on small scale lwith 20-30 look what happens, stuff like conan exile plenty of interactions good lore, but so unstable and so many bugs.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
deterministic system > RNG

Last edited:

J1M

Arcane
I thought the genre was more about providing the illusion of persistent growth for people in dead-end jobs. But none of your answers talk about that.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Well Vanguard had one giant world with no zones so I liked it. It didn't feel like some game you were playing it felt like a huge world. You could go and kill a noob in noob town if you wanted to. Then City of Heroes added a good degree of freedom in moving about the environment and making your character unique with powers. The whole point is to make you try to survive a harsh world, not be hand held the entire time. Becoming a Lich in Vanguard was the high point of my short MMO career. I had to travel to enemy territory to do quests which meant I would need to avoid the other factions that lived on that continent. I went over there with a friend to grind out the enemy faction quest that let you get a panther transformation and run real fast. We fought off multiple waves of whatever faction those guys were playing as while farming some mobs to get the points to get the reward. Why the game got so much hate I will never know. MMO's always have bugs. Vanguard offered freedom unparalleled in MMO's, but WoW existed so everyone went to playing it or Dark Ages of Camelot.

Ninjerk

Arcane
I thought the genre was more about providing the illusion of persistent growth for people in dead-end jobs. But none of your answers talk about that.
Not sure any game can stave off the imprending sense of doom anymore

Nito

Educated
Patron
I think the reason why MMOs as we knew them have/are ending is because the core of what made them special (social interaction, shared goals/cooperation, competition, a sense of discovery and progress) has fractured into other forms of online media or other games. MMOs were very much a fixture of the pre-social media age. I think in order to make an MMO (as we understood them before) you would have to enforce a sense of exclusivity and culture around their communities, as it's the communities, and the nature of the internet, that have changed.

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Real-life friends to play them with, like how it was in high school and college

I've never been able to get this to work in MMOs. Groups all start together then
  • 1 dude no-lifes and ends up 20 levels ahead of everyone else within like a week
  • 1 dude can't stick to a schedule
  • 1 dude gets bored and never shows up cuz the game sucks and he too busy getting laid constantly (this is me haha)

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Real-life friends to play them with, like how it was in high school and college

I've never been able to get this to work in MMOs. Groups all start together then
  • 1 dude no-lifes and ends up 20 levels ahead of everyone else within like a week
  • 1 dude can't stick to a schedule
  • 1 dude gets bored and never shows up cuz the game sucks and he too busy getting laid constantly (this is me haha)

Well it depends on the group of friends, but I really never have this issue. Usually, the no-lifes have some alts and he plays with us with his lower level alts to have fun together.

The schedule was not really an issue as well I guess, because we usually hangs after school or on Friday in an internet cafe playing together while ordering cheap sugary fruit juice and eating instant-ramen together. Now most of us barely have time to play game even on weekend, with work, families, and all that comes with joining the society :negative:

On the other hand I never enjoy MMO when playing with randos on the net. Like I just can't. There is grand total 1 MMO where I did well with randos, even then my friends also played that one. I just can't care about some other random people playing these games on the internet.

frajaq

Erudite
- interesting setting
- good class fantasy (they need to have their place in the world)
- good looking plate armor and transmog system
- people that actually play it lmao

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Really shat the bed with that one

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom