Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Is this still working?

tiagocc0

Arcane
Wow, I'm impressed DU! I thought it would be removed by now.

Postmortem of Starlife
Don't rely too much on others and don't make your first project heavy AI centered.

I finally got some time, some new ideas, programming experience and financially ready to start a new project. One which I'm not going to rely on anybody, anything I can't do I will commission later, be it art or text revision.

It is still a very.. very early prototype but I'm feeling confident, got a lot of user interface ready with the quality I want, got a lot of things written about what I want to do and finally, the most important, it's a very simple game idea, no complex AI necessary.

Ah, it is adult themed, don't follow the link kids.

If anybody reads this and is still interested in reading more, you can check it here
https://purplebones.itch.io/break-the-future

Scarlet Lilith

Learned
You should have said so at the top! At the thread title even! I thought you were making an RPG or something and clicked the link before reading the rest of your post. It's not nice to trick people like that. Thankfully it wasn't that bad, but it could have been!

You should have said so at the top! At the thread title even! I thought you were making an RPG or something and clicked the link before reading the rest of your post. It's not nice to trick people like that. Thankfully it wasn't that bad, but it could have been!

yYRvGX0.png

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture

Awfully prude for a demon innit?
:M

barker_s

Cipher
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Hey man, I remember following your project back in the day. Good to see you back.

About the new project - I love the premise, especially the timeline-altering part. Do you have any mechanics implemented though, or at least have an idea on how to implement them? Because it sounds like a pretty huge task if you ask me. There are so many questions, like, when do you consider one character's future broken? Let's say in one dungeon he kills a goblin and finds a health potion, which will save his life a few hours later in a difficult encounter. Let's also assume that a second character kills the same goblin in another playthrough. Is the future broken as soon as the goblin dies, or maybe later, during that difficult encounter where the first character dies?

Also, what happens if the world changes a lot for the first character (e.g. the second character kills the entire village that the first character was supposed to do some questing in)? Does the AI take over?

And what kind of data structure are you going to use to represent the character's actions which will be replayed during subsequent playthroughs?

So many questions, but that's a very interesting problem from the design perspective. I'm really curious how are you going to approach it.

Last edited:

Scarlet Lilith

Learned

Awfully prude for a demon innit?
:M
No I'm not! I'm from that circle with all the lawyers and stuff, lawful evil. Baator y'know, not the Abyss!

tiagocc0

Arcane
Hey man, I remember following your project back in the day. Good to see you back.

About the new project - I love the premise, especially the timeline-altering part. Do you have any mechanics implemented though, or at least have an idea on how to implement them? Because it sounds like a pretty huge task if you ask me. There are so many questions, like, when do you consider one character's future broken? Let's say in one dungeon he kills a goblin and finds a health potion, which will save his life a few hours later in a difficult encounter. Let's also assume that a second character kills the same goblin in another playthrough. Is the future broken as soon as the goblin dies, or maybe later, during that difficult encounter where the first character dies?

Also, what happens if the world changes a lot for the first character (e.g. the second character kills the entire village that the first character was supposed to do some questing in)? Does the AI take over?

And what kind of data structure are you going to use to represent the character's actions which will be replayed during subsequent playthroughs?

So many questions, but that's a very interesting problem from the design perspective. I'm really curious how are you going to approach it.

It's huge but I got it broken down in small parts which I'm currently developing. I'm basing the gameplay on a few simple games, so I got that part covered.

The part of breaking a characters future will come after the game loop is complete, so right now the focus is to make it an rpg, than a lewd rpg and then complete it with this feature.
At this point the game will have one world and one story, which then I might expand it to mix fantasy with sci-fi.

The future will break on a very specific way, the first character will play the game, let's say they will go until turn 100, then you start the second character.
You will be able to see the whole history of the first character if you want (or not if set this option off), so you can plan when to meet the first character, if you want to.
So let's say the first character arrived at the dungeon on turn 80, exploring the dungeon takes one turn, because a turn is a day, so the second character can arrive at that dungeon too and since they are both at the same location, the second character can choose to interact or not with the first, if they interact then the first character future is broken. Interact can be talk or fight.

The AI taking over could be a feature, but it would be really the last thing done in the game. For now it's simple to just erase the future of the character.

When we are talking about two characters it is simple enough, one character brings the other character turn back to where it is on the moment it happened.

Now when we talk about several characters, a third interaction for example, I have two options, break everyone's future by bringing the whole game back to that turn or verify only those affected and break their future when it was affected.

A example, character A goes to turn 100, character B break him on turn 80.
So A and B are now at 80.
B continues playing until turn 120.
A then also plays until turn 100.
Character C then breaks B on turn 60.
What happens here is that B goes back to 60 and A goes back to 80, when he/she first met B and they interacted.

The world won't change much, at least for now, so the history of one player might not be visible to another, only the places they went so they can be found there at that turn.

I think I know why it looks so complicated and for me it doesn't, because you might be thinking about a RPG like Baldur's Gate, but it is more like XCom.
You have one base, and random dungeons might pop up so you can explore them and they are gone.
Cities you visit are like visiting a dungeon, you select those of your chars that want to go somewhere, and press to run the day, then it shows you the consequences, visiting a city will bring the city menu, exploring a dungeon will bring the dungeon menu.

What I want to add later is like, cities getting bigger if you help them, or getting smaller if bandits run rampant or like kingdoms having war against one another, so you might have a way to help one or another but everything on a small scale, having like 6-10 characters at maximum, probably. At this point kind like Battle Brothers, but without physically walking the map.

Does it makes sense?

tiagocc0

Arcane
Regarding the structure, there are a few ways to do it.

Simply storing everything every turn so the save file will have all turn with all data relevant there. Each character has one save file.
The max one character will have about the other is, met that day and had a fight, for example. Which would break the future, but the player could then get that character and continue playing.

Another way is to make it incremental. Store all data on first turn and then from there just add what as added or modified.
To load a character at turn 80 I would have to read all turns, this saves storage but makes the loading process longer.

I could also make a very complete log system, which instead of separating it per turn, I would instead log all player actions which then would be replayed to get to that point, simple to save, complex to load.

I think the important bit here is that with a system like that will allow the player to break the future of his own character.

The way I wrote the idea is that at all times the player will have a "Go back one turn" button. If you press it then a "Go forward" button will appear.
So you can navigate between all turns you had, let's say you are at turn 100, then you go back to turn 96 to check something and then decide you wanted to do something different, at the moment you modify something at turn 96 the game will warn you that the characters future will be broken. So you can resume playing from turn 96.

Which will also allow one player to play the game, give the save to another player which then can watch how it was played.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom