Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Knights of the Chalice 2 Thread - Augury of Chaos

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Fundraiser is up. Hopefully Pierre knows how to accept PayPals money unlike the last mob who still haven't gotten theirs yet amirite.

almondblight

Arcane
You'll have the option to play with the old sprites of KOTC1 and there are stretch goals for improved sprites

He should definitely include some screenshots with the old sprites on the Kickstater page. That might convince some of the people who are on the fence.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
Fuck the system Pierre. We're going to make you king of the second Golden age of RPGs. Your vassels will be owl cat, solasta, black geyser, realms beyond. Larian will be the jester and we'll drive them out because they have no business existing.

ralphonzo

Novice
No, that stretch goal is for better art for all sprites in general. He has also mentioned he will try for better art over all, and the ability for the community to easily replace art if wanted.

Yeah, I have a feeling a lot of that stuff is going to happen no matter the results of the KS. Like there won't be a spell shortcut system with icons regardless? I think this is going to be the ultimate extensible 3.5E framework regardless of stretch goals met.

But I wish him much money since he's been shooting himself in the foot for years prior to getting KotC1 on Steam. And still does by not putting it on massive sale for exposure for the KS. Even Vogel eventually recognized big discounts are the way to make more money, right?

Grimlorn

Arcane
Fundraiser is up. Hopefully Pierre knows how to accept PayPals money unlike the last mob who still haven't gotten theirs yet amirite.
Don't fundraisers typically show up on the main forums page? No one visits the main page anymore.

Grimlorn

Arcane
Don't fundraisers typically show up on the main forums page? No one visits the main page anymore.
What do you mean "any more"? Are you saying they used to?
Thought I saw them once in the upper right corner of the forum page. Or at least they were visible at some point. May be remembering wrong. Was just trying to get as many eyes on it as possible.

Last edited:

Serus

Arcane
Patron
I honestly don't mind the tokens, I'm rather more concerned about UI, story, gameplay, game balance, etc. Those are the things that matter most.
I agree about tokens but being "concerned" about story in a Pierre Begue game? Really? What was the story in KotC 1 again? I think it was about going from one great encounter to another choosing your feats, spells and equipment in between. If there was another one i honestly don't remember it. And I don't need to in KotC 2.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Dear friends, acquaintances and video game enthusiasts,

I apologise for this bit of self-promotion. I have just launched the Kickstarter fundraising campaign for my new computer role-playing game Knights of the Chalice 2. The base funding goal was reached in the first 23 hours.

Here is the campaign: https://www.kickstarter.com/project...-the-chalice-2-revolutionise-old-school-crpgs.

Backers will receive the game and the integrated adventure-creation toolset as soon as the campaign ends.

Knights of the Chalice 2 is a party-based epic computer role-playing game with turn-based combat for Windows and Mac OS. KotC 2 is inspired by Baldur's Gate 2, Neverwinter Nights 2, Temple of Elemental Evil and Planescape: Torment. Just like KotC 1, KotC 2 uses the OGL 3.5, the ruleset at the root of Dungeons & Dragons 3.5.

The Kickstarter campaign will support the creation of at least three new KotC 2 adventure modules: The Dark Arena, Forces of Chaos and Heart of Evil. The campaign will also be used to improve the game's graphics and facilitate the addition of new character classes and other features.

In KotC 2: Augury of Chaos, your Heroic Party confronts a group of Evil Fanatics allied with various Demons and Fiendish Dragons. Blast your enemies with more than 700 spells, bull-rush them into spike pits, trick them with your superior guile, or crush them with your enchanted greatsword!

Following the Kickstarter, the game is planned to be released on the developer's website, http://www.heroicfantasygames.com, and on Steam / GOG after a relatively short period of time dedicated to the improvement of the game. A Reddit Ask Me Anything session is planned at r/Games on 11 June from 8 am Central time (3 pm Paris time).

I hope that you will join the campaign! If you like the project, please share this message with your friends and social networks!

Main Features of Knights of the Chalice 2:

• Turn-based, party-based tactical combat similar to that found in the old Dark Sun Shattered Lands game made by SSI and in Troika's Temple of Elemental Evil.
  • User-friendly interface. Launch a charge, full-attack or coup-de-grace with a single click - the computer will automatically look for the best option available. Out of combat, move the party with a single click or by keeping the mouse button pushed. Also see the KotC 1 How to Play webpage for more information.
  • A well-developed emergent Artificial Intelligence. Enemies act as a group and support each other. They can use special actions like Grapple, Trip, Ready Versus Spell or Swallow Whole and tactics like taking a Five-Foot step before casting Maximised Fireball. They might use a Wind spell to dissipate the player's Acid Fog or Incendiary Cloud.
  • Omnipresent help files and clear in-game feedback (a feature also found in Temple of Elemental Evil) on the results of each dice roll, saving throw, attack roll, modifiers and so on.
  • More than 700 Spells and Psionic Powers (see the list of Wizard spells). The game also features 22 Classes, 10 Races, 36 Subraces, 478 Feats, 41 Cleric Domains, 71 Weapon enchantments and 51 Armour and Shield enchantments. Click here for more information about the Classes, Feats and other topics.
  • With the right materials and sufficient gold and experience points, craft your own weapons and armour and apply enchantments like Vorpal, Life Stealing, Wounding, Swift, Dispelling or Flaming Burst (see the complete list).
  • Multiple-choice dialogue options offering real choices and real in-game consequences to the player. Use your party's unique skills and consider your own preferences and playing style in order to resolve situations in the most suitable manner.
  • Enjoy a variety of engrossing puzzles and riddles. Use your intuition and logical thinking to decrypt mysterious coded messages. The game's cryptography interface, inspired by Broken Sword Shadow of the Templars, makes decoding a captivating activity. Do not worry about the difficulty of puzzles and riddles though, as the game frequently provides Hints designed to help you resolve this type of challenge.
  • KotC 2 Augury of Chaos allows you to create your level-1 characters and take them all the way to level 21 or so. There is no limit on character level.
  • Use the powerful integrated toolset to create new modules and campaigns easily. Easily swap monster tokens and sprites or create new ones. Create new monsters, new dialogues and new maps easily. The best adventure modules may also generate an income stream for you.
  • Enjoy fast Saved-Game loading and saving and various game options designed to accelerate gameplay. Enjoy various convenience features, such as the Saved-Game preview image display, Tab key press to highlight objects that may be interacted with, or the Inventory Screen highlighting of spell scrolls that may be learned by a character.
Thank you! Best regards everyone! :)

Pierre Begue (enquiries@heroicfantasygames.com)
HeroicFantasyGames.Com KotC 1 Features KotC 1 Screenshots
Steam Page Facebook Page Twitter Profile Youtube Channel
KotC 2 Features KotC 2 Screenshots Kickstarter Page KS FAQ Instagram

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Which version of animated sprites did KOTC1 have? 4 directions?

2 directions, i think, they're egyptian sprites, never looking up or down.

Favim.com-8096.jpg

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...-revolutionise-old-school-crpgs/posts/2849414

Update #6: Six-Minute Trailer for KotC 2!

Hello everyone! :)

I have just uploaded the third video in support of the KotC 2 Kickstarter campaign. The new video is the six-minute trailer of KotC 2 Augury of Chaos. The link on Youtube is: https://youtu.be/CqVWrotL6lE

Special thanks to Pergola LLC for supporting the KotC 2 Kickstarter campaign! Have a look at Pergola's Kickstarter campaign at https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/pergoladice/pergola-dice-solar-series-relaunch! They are going to make swirling dice for D&D and other tabletop games and their campaign ends in just ten days.

The next video in support of the KotC 2 Kickstarter campaign will be published on 3 June. It will be the first combat video in a series of five combat videos.

In a short while, I will post another update here about the use of special combat situations to increase the challenge level of encounters! :)

Thank you everyone for supporting the campaign!

Keep Spreading the Word, Fearless Heroes!! ^^

Mortmal

Arcane
I honestly don't mind the tokens, I'm rather more concerned about UI, story, gameplay, game balance, etc. Those are the things that matter most.
I agree about tokens but being "concerned" about story in a Pierre Begue game? Really? What was the story in KotC 1 again? I think it was about going from one great encounter to another choosing your feats, spells and equipment in between. If there was another one i honestly don't remember it. And I don't need to in KotC 2.
Story was pretty much a copy of against the giants, pierre is oldschool, still wearing a suit and tie, so it's not surprising. Not the most original story but better sometime to not reinvent the wheel and use something known to work.Purpose is just goign agaisnt encounters of increasing difficulty and have the players fail or ignore the puzzles, like classical D&D.
G1-3_Against_the_Giants.jpg

covr

Prophet
Patron
BlueSalamander - Does your game supports scaling resolution or full-screen mode? I've been watching trailers and I suspect that they've been recorded using some small, windowed mode.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom