Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Arx Fatalis updated for Arkane Studios 20th anniversary, free giveaway on Bethesda.net

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Arkane Studios; Arx Fatalis; Bethesda Softworks

Today is the 20th anniversary of immersive sim developer Arkane Studios. Bethesda have decided to mark the occasion by setting up an "Arkane 20" site where fans can sign up and get a free copy of the studio's first title, the 2002 Ultima Underworld homage Arx Fatalis, on the Bethesda.net store. It's clearly an attempt at doing some community building ahead of the imminent reveal of Arkane's next game Deathloop, but free stuff is always nice. The game has been updated on Steam and GOG as well, so you can play on Windows 10 now without having to use the Arx Libertatis source port. They even made a trailer:

Bethesda have published an article about Arx Fatalis' legacy on their website, and there are also some details about the game in Noclip's new documentary about Arkane. Did you know that Dark Messiah could have been Arx Fatalis 2 if Bethesda had published it instead of Ubisoft? Those were different times.

Don Peste

Arcane
They needed to be able to play themselves on Windows 10 in order to be able to develop the remake they are announcing tomorrow.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Honestly even in a AAA context a full dungeon crawler by Arkane sounds fun enough.

Ghulgothas

Arcane
Merry Birthday, Arkane. Arx and Messiah were diamonds-in-the-rough, Prey was neat and Dishonored's still the most worthy Thief Successor in the modern age. I hope to god Colantonio's departure won't be looked back on as the beginning of the end as I eagerly await seeing... whatever the hell Deathloop is supposed to be.

aratuk

Cipher
Alternatively, Arx Fatalis is available DRM-free for US$1.79 right now on GOG.

:nocountryforshitposters:

I would rather pay $1.79 than sign up for Yet Another Thing, but YMMV.

PrettyDeadman

If they announce Arx Fatalis 2, does that mean that they will stop developing Elder Scrolls 6? It doubt they are going to release 2 fantasy titles at the same (or close to the same) time.

Nyast

Cipher
So far I've been unsuccessful at getting that Arx free copy ( I already own an old physical copy ). Bethesda's launcher is a piece of crap - even more so than the other company's -, constantly freezes, and when it doesn't freeze the download never starts ( progress bar stayed at zero for 2 hours ). After I finally did a complete uninstall / reinstall, went on their website to get my copy, I found out you can only get that "free" copy by registering for their marketing emails. Want the game but not subscribe to their email spam ? No luck sherlock. I think I'll just get the GOG version, this shit is getting ridiculous.

Outmind

Augur
Ah, Arx Fatalis, the game where vegetable gardens can thrive underground and where making the best healing item in the game is literally following a recipe you could replicate at home.

It was OK I guess, a bit short though. The spell system was intriguing but clunky. It's cool you could experiment with the signs and discover hidden spells.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
A nuArkane developing an Arx Fatalis sequel, in the current year, published by current year Bethesda?

No thank you. It'd be some turbo woke garbage (fight responsibly, liches are people too...) full of MTX. I'd rather fuck a bear trap.

Codex Year of the Donut
Arx Fatalis source code was released publicly under the GPL, it has been independently developed and kept up to date for years as Arx Libertatis.
It has lots of bug fixes that aren't present in the base game.

What's the point? Arx Libertatis already does this and more.

Come on man, that's silly. "What's the point" in a game working out of the box after people have paid for it?
If they cared about that then they could have just provided Arx Libertatis by default.
Should we applaud a massive game developer for providing a worse experience to their customers?

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
So far I've been unsuccessful at getting that Arx free copy. Bethesda's launcher is a piece of crap and when it doesn't freeze the download never starts. After I finally did a complete uninstall/reinstall, went on their website to get my copy, I found out you can only get that "free" copy by registering for their marketing emails.

Same story as the Morrowind anniversary giveaway a few years back. They can go fuck themselves.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Does this “update” conflict with Arx Libertaties? I bet the unofficial mod has more bug fixes than this “update”... so why not contact the modders and have a proper updated Arx?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom