Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Best Pirate Game of All Time?

Best Pirate Game of All Time?

• Sid Meier's Pirates!

Votes: 38 50.7%
  • Black Flag

Votes: 3 4.0%
  • Sea Dogs

Votes: 6 8.0%
  • Pirates of the Caribbean

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Sea of Thieves

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (list it below and I will add it to the poll. Voters can change their vote)

Votes: 9 12.0%
  • Age of Pirates 2: City of Abandoned Ships

Votes: 3 4.0%
  • Sea Legends

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • Port Royale

• Uncharted Waters 2

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • Pirates of the Caribbean: New Horizons mod

• Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag

Votes: 5 6.7%
  • Cutthroats: Terror on the High Seas

Votes: 4 5.3%

• Total voters

Gregz

Arcane
I think it's Sid Meier's Pirates!, but I haven't played the others in this poll, and I'm extremely biased because I played the original Pirates! as a kid.

So what is the official, no nostalgia, best pirate game ever?

Votes are anonymous.

Last edited:

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Pirates of the Caribbean is garbage

Its either Pirates! or Sea Dogs. Though the gameplay of Pirates! can get old fast.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Assuming Pirates of the Caribbean is the overly difficult trash that was the PC version, not that. Had interesting ideas, but not very good.
Both of the two Pirates for DOS had some issues regarding controls that I can remember. Gold in particular had horrible mouse usage.
My answer is Gold fore Genesis, because I am a scrub who enjoys being able to control his ship without having the planets aligned.

Gregz

Arcane
My answer is Gold fore Genesis, because I am a scrub who enjoys being able to control his ship without having the planets aligned.

For the purposes of this poll, any version or platform differences between the various releases of Sid Meier's Pirates! are disregarded, because they are negligible.

Tigranes

Arcane
Perhaps not strictly pirate, but

ss_0c67c44c4b5c99f85cb6fff0ced646d0765b7bf5.600x338.jpg

ss_e378d699fb8ef0e282b6570c46b4ab32824df6a8.600x338.jpg

mondblut

Arcane
Blood & Gold is the only one with decent melee, being a Mount & Blade-based game.

The first Port Royale for economy and fleet battles.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Probably Pirates! yeah. Sea Dogs was pretty good, and I'd say it would be amazing if it weren't so incredibly buggy, basically to the point of unplayability (at least for me).

I'd say the poll also misses Tropico 2, but I'd never vote for it so. It was a large step down from Tropico 1.

Wunderbar

Arcane
I want to point out that Sea Dogs, Pirate of Caribbean and City of Abandoned ships are all parts of the same series developed by a russian dev Akella.

- Corsairs (Sea Dogs in the west);
- Corsairs 2 (Pirates of Caribbean in the west);
- Corsairs 3 (Age of Pirates - Caribbean Tales in the west);
- Corsairs 3 - Return of the Legend (standalone expansion, was never released in the west);
- Corsairs 3 - City of Abandoned Ships (second standalone expansion, was known as Age of Pirates 2: City of Abandoned Ships in the west and currently sold on steam under the name of Sea Dogs: City of Abandoned Ships);
- Corsairs - To Each his Own (third standalone expansion, known as Sea Dogs: To Each His Own in the west).

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
The Secret of Monkey Island.
This, but unironically.

Otherwise, I'd have to agree on Uncharted Waters 1 & 2. I had so much fun with them as a kid, even if I couldn't understand what I was doing. Also, I found most of the female characters extremely hot and, since I was VERY young, I think that may have scarred my sexuality forever.

Morkar Left

Sid Meier's Pirates!
For indeed the best manual (just a joy to read like almost all Micropose manuals) and relatively easy to catch up, fun sea battles, best worldmap with best map traveling (wind directions)

Blood & Gold
For best melee/firearms combat on land, unfortunately no first person travel on map

PotC with New Horizons mod
Best overall experience, best customization, has rpg elements, quests, good ship combat and customization, sail the Caribbean completely in first person (very relaxing experience for me), traveling on map has unfortunately no wind directions, your own logbook, partly still feels unfinished/unbalanced

Age of Pirates CoAS
Better graphics and a bit better melee combat than PotC, no first person sailing between islands, not as modded as PotC, more cartoon like graphics for characters (but not much). Overall good but I still prefer New Horizons instead.

Sea Dogs Teho

By far the best melee combat from the whole Sea Dogs series. Weapons feel really different in style and handling. It has the best graphics of the Sea Dogs series (but overall still lackluster compared to todays standards). It has a huge amount of content (especially quests) and a pretty good pirates story that feels like the classic novel ones but still fresh (but the translation is sub optimal). It has the best graphics from the Sea Dogs series, too.
The bad: only a fixed starting character (with 3 specializations to choose), can be atrociously grindy and frustrating (sometimes korean mmo-like levelscaling), horrible timed quests where you need a guide in which order and when and how you should take them (lots of dead ends or breaking the game otherwise).
Atm it's sometimes really enjoyable and sometimes just outright frustrating (the no fun kind of frustration where you have to game/exploit the systems instead of playing the game). If the game gets opened for modding and the modding community takes it up it will be the best Pirates game out there so far, by far. Oh btw. I even liked the tutorial. Feels like you earned your ship.

If I had to choose one it would still be New Horizons but the graphics are getting really old by now and melee combat is just boring. I dream of New Horizons for Sea Dogs Teho.

Last edited by a moderator:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom