Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Dragon Age: Inquisition Thread

janior

Arcane
Patron
any nice waifus in this game?

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
a woman's worth is defined by her thigh gap:
Cassandra-thigh-gap.png

norolim

Arcane
There are many things you can say about Witcher 3. It has many imperfections but at least as many positive qualities. However the notion, that the game's combat is a mindless arcadey clickfest in the vein of Ass Creed or the Batman games is just pure nonsense. Anyone repeating this bullshit here either didn't play the game or played it on easy. On the two highest difficulty levels, if you try mindlessly clicking during fights, most opponents will swiftly hand your ass back to you. Because most of them have some kind of a break action designed to counter you, if you spam fast attack. This can often leave you stunned and vulnerable, and will result in your swift death.

Many opponents can assume a defensive stance and block your attacks as long as they have Stamina remaining. Theoretically, you can wear them down by continually attacking and thus cause them to drop their defence. Theoretically, because most of the time, they'll counter-stun you before their stamina runs out. Some enemies are also quite skilful at dodging your attacks. If you go straight at them, you'll most probably miss and give them an easy hit opportunity. So yeah, anyone claiming they can just mindlessly click through any fight in the game, go ahead and try that against a succubus at the same level you are. The first one, that lasts 20 seconds and strips it of at least half of its HP, gets a beer.

And that's just fighting one opponent. Because unlike Ass Creed and other games like it, groups of enemies in Witcher 3 don't wait for you to deal with them one by one (if you agro them and then stand a few meters away from them, they may rush you or just wait and taunt you). They'll often attack you simultaneously and from all directions. Packs of animals are the best at this. If you encounter 5 or 6 wolves (around your level) and you let all of them get close to you, 3 out of 5 times you're fucked. One of them will try and attack you and the others will circle around you. Once one of them gets you and the hit animation plays, you are helpless if the others decide to attack in quick succession. Your full Vitality goes to 0 in seconds.

Obviously, I'm not saying Witcher 3 combat system is flawless. There are problems with it, like bad controls. I love it when in the middle of a duel Geralt decides to turn his back to the enemy and swing at a tree or a wall (don't even start me on the lock on feature). And fighting in confined spaces is almost impossible due to the fucked up camera. It is also true, that sometimes you can "stun lock" some opponents in a perpetual hit animation by spamming fast attack. But in my experience this is very rare (happened 3-4 times in the 70 hours I played so far.

So, yeah. If you want to claim Witcher 3 combat is a mindless button masher, go get that succubus. And remember to record it, so we can all laugh at you hard.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I played Witcher 3 on hard mode... the one below the top difficulty, whatever that is... and I just rolled in, whacked, then rolled out. I always play agile rogues so I wore cat armor and just focused on not getting hit, and it all worked out fine. Only real challenges I remember were when I took on monsters a good bit higher level than I was. I'm not really attacking the game though, it seemed like fine whacky-whacky. Not the best I've played, but far from the worst. My point was I'm so much more into strategic combat that even bare-bones, stupidly simplified strategic combat like in DA:I is more fun for me than what Witcher 3 offered. This is just personal preference though, I don't think it would be more fun for everyone. Far from it actually.

norolim

Arcane
Sure, but you had to roll out, to make that work. You couldn't just spam fast attack to win any fight. Mind you though, I'm neither claiming Witcher 3 combat is strategic nor great in any way. It's a fine action system that requires you to do more than just sit there with your finger on LMB and eyes closed. Provided of course, you start at least on the 2nd hardest difficultly level and switch to the hardest after a while.

It's also true that fighting enemies 10 or more levels above yours is the biggest challenge. I defeated a lvl 25 Griffin when I was lvl 12. Took me half an hour, but it was fun.

Codex Year of the Donut
how to win at witcher 3 combat:
get the talent that makes you have iframes when you dodge(not roll)
get the whirl talent

goodjob, you have won at witcher 3 combat

sullynathan

Arcane
There are many things you can say about Witcher 3. It has many imperfections but at least as many positive qualities. However the notion, that the game's combat is a mindless arcadey clickfest in the vein of Ass Creed or the Batman games is just pure nonsense. Anyone repeating this bullshit here either didn't play the game or played it on easy. On the two highest difficulty levels, if you try mindlessly clicking during fights, most opponents will swiftly hand your ass back to you. Because most of them have some kind of a break action designed to counter you, if you spam fast attack. This can often leave you stunned and vulnerable, and will result in your swift death.

Many opponents can assume a defensive stance and block your attacks as long as they have Stamina remaining. Theoretically, you can wear them down by continually attacking and thus cause them to drop their defence. Theoretically, because most of the time, they'll counter-stun you before their stamina runs out. Some enemies are also quite skilful at dodging your attacks. If you go straight at them, you'll most probably miss and give them an easy hit opportunity. So yeah, anyone claiming they can just mindlessly click through any fight in the game, go ahead and try that against a succubus at the same level you are. The first one, that lasts 20 seconds and strips it of at least half of its HP, gets a beer.

And that's just fighting one opponent. Because unlike Ass Creed and other games like it, groups of enemies in Witcher 3 don't wait for you to deal with them one by one (if you agro them and then stand a few meters away from them, they may rush you or just wait and taunt you). They'll often attack you simultaneously and from all directions. Packs of animals are the best at this. If you encounter 5 or 6 wolves (around your level) and you let all of them get close to you, 3 out of 5 times you're fucked. One of them will try and attack you and the others will circle around you. Once one of them gets you and the hit animation plays, you are helpless if the others decide to attack in quick succession. Your full Vitality goes to 0 in seconds.

Obviously, I'm not saying Witcher 3 combat system is flawless. There are problems with it, like bad controls. I love it when in the middle of a duel Geralt decides to turn his back to the enemy and swing at a tree or a wall (don't even start me on the lock on feature). And fighting in confined spaces is almost impossible due to the fucked up camera. It is also true, that sometimes you can "stun lock" some opponents in a perpetual hit animation by spamming fast attack. But in my experience this is very rare (happened 3-4 times in the 70 hours I played so far.

So, yeah. If you want to claim Witcher 3 combat is a mindless button masher, go get that succubus. And remember to record it, so we can all laugh at you hard.
You're retarded and probably haven't played enough action games by typing this.

Rieser

Scholar
Tried playing this, but holy hell the UI is shit to the point that I'm struggling to think of other games with a budget in the genre doing it worse. I don't need a great UI to enjoy a game, but this is just laughable.

norolim

Arcane
Tried playing this, but holy hell the UI is shit to the point that I'm struggling to think of other games with a budget in the genre doing it worse. I don't need a great UI to enjoy a game, but this is just laughable.
The UI is very configurable. What exactly is your problem with it? Maybe you can adjust it in the settings.

norolim

Arcane
O shit, I thought we WERE talking about Witcher 3 UI. I forgot we are in DAI thread. Sorry Rieser, I have no idea, if DAI UI is configurable. Never played it.

jackofshadows

Magister
The worst I've seen was in Dragon's Dogma. Like I couldn't fucking beleive in that. It was clearly designed for console use as well. But I get used to and it didn't prevent me from having lots of fun in the end.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
played on death march twice - combat is a clickfest

What made you do so not once, but twice?
I like the game it is a nice game yes very much thank you
I am 100% it a third time. The combat is a clickfest but it is not easy lol,you have to prepare when fighting a hard enemy,and also needs player skillz. If you just stay in one place and just click you will die in seconds lol. It is not amazing but it is not as simple as people here make it out to be lol......it is serviceable,better than DAI.

how to win at witcher 3 combat:
get the talent that makes you have iframes when you dodge(not roll)
get the whirl talent

goodjob, you have won at witcher 3 combat
:nocountryforshitposters:
Are you retarded nigger??? In arcanum you just have to get harm,in gothic 2 you just have to master the block spam,in bg 2 you just need good weapons and fireball,etc etc. A bunch of authists finding a good strategy that allegedly brakes the game is not a flaw of the game lol. Go suck sawyer's perfectly balanced cock and stop bitching about stupid shit lol.

The same goes for Witcher 3's UI though, if we are being fair.
Does it? The witcher got upgrades and patches for 5 years now. They actually listened to fans and changed a lot of shit. The inventory now is really good,all the crafting and alchemy materials are weightless and you go freely on looting sprees :). While DOI was left and forgotten the moment the last DLC hit the empty floor.

I find it strange that the two games are compared lol,they have nothing in common outside of the lively graphics.
The combat is totaly different,one is a tactial shooter with pause where you kill bloated sponges,the other fast mobility and killing monsters fast.
The story of the witcher is very well written personal story with great side quests and monster hunting,while in DOI you chaise a guy that have dragon ball and want something lol.
While they both have a lot of collecataton shit in them and pointless loot,the witcher has a gorgeous level design and good side quests sprinkled amongst the collectables,on top of that the collectables made sense,like killing monsters or getting a skill point.

Soooo what do you see in them to compare ?

sullynathan

Arcane
The worst I've seen was in Dragon's Dogma. Like I couldn't fucking beleive in that. It was clearly designed for console use as well. But I get used to and it didn't prevent me from having lots of fun in the end.
Less of a problem if you played with a controller

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom