Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Best Pirate Game of All Time?

Best Pirate Game of All Time?

• Sid Meier's Pirates!

Votes: 38 50.7%
  • Black Flag

Votes: 3 4.0%
  • Sea Dogs

Votes: 6 8.0%
  • Pirates of the Caribbean

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Sea of Thieves

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (list it below and I will add it to the poll. Voters can change their vote)

Votes: 9 12.0%
  • Age of Pirates 2: City of Abandoned Ships

Votes: 3 4.0%
  • Sea Legends

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • Port Royale

• Uncharted Waters 2

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • Pirates of the Caribbean: New Horizons mod

• Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag

Votes: 5 6.7%
  • Cutthroats: Terror on the High Seas

Votes: 4 5.3%

• Total voters

janior

Arcane
Patron
8g7s49z.jpg

Deleted member 7219

Action: Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag
Adventure: The Secret of Monkey Island
RPG: Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire

I haven't played Sid Meier's Pirates but it's on my list.

RuySan

Augur
For the purposes of this poll, any version or platform differences between the various releases of Sid Meier's Pirates! are disregarded, because they are negligible.
The console versions, including the amiga CD32 version of Gold had a very different aesthetic compared to the PC version.

For me my favourite was the Amiga version of the original Pirates!

Norfleet

To be truly meta, and truly a Dread Pirate, you had to pirate Pirates!...and then beat the manual-based copy protection purely from experience, without having ever seen the manual. Because real pirates don't read manuals.

Norfleet

We don't know if all of those fingers are real, though. Maybe he has a wooden peg-finger to disguise the missing one?

RuySan

Augur
To be truly meta, and truly a Dread Pirate, you had to pirate Pirates!...and then beat the manual-based copy protection purely from experience, without having ever seen the manual. Because real pirates don't read manuals.
Done and done (c64 era Poland, after all).

Ahhaha, also done here, but for the amiga. What was with this game copy protection? I don't recall having copies of the manual for any other game. All of them were cracked.

Risen 2, POE2 Deadfire and the Monkey Island series should be on the list.

AC Black Flag's basic pirate gameplay loop is heavily inspired by Pirates!, it's the AC story crap + ubiworld design that drags it down.

Sea of Thieves could've similarly been a good blueprint for ubi's canned multiplayer pirate game.

Norfleet

Ahhaha, also done here, but for the amiga. What was with this game copy protection? I don't recall having copies of the manual for any other game. All of them were cracked.
You had to answer various questions from the manual, depending on which edition you had, ranging from having to know the schedule of the Treasure Fleet to identifying pirate flags.

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath
Someone should make Cutthroats remake, but make it... you know... playable?
That game was pretty game ambitious.

Last edited:

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
You had to answer various questions from the manual, depending on which edition you had, ranging from having to know the schedule of the Treasure Fleet to identifying pirate flags.
If I remember it correctly at least on C64 version it was about Treasure Fleet and wrong answer gave you worse starting ship.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom