Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress [LP CYOA] Tower

Baltika9

Arcane
B-but think about the children!
We are the children.

Edit: but we want to be the cool kids, not the lame kids. That's why we're gotta take this challenge.

Last edited:

a cut of domestic sheep prime

So D is winning? Hmm.

Well, to be honest, I don’t mind it. I would prefer B though. I just hope Tlalli doesn’t take long. Because then we may have to face the...

Oh no, that’s what it is isn’t it? The Temple of Trials!

Absinthe

Arcane
Fuck it. May as well try to seize an opportunity. Voting B.

D is the safe option, but B is the more rewarding option.

Orbit

Scholar
Don't forget that grandma Tlalli will be disappointed if we fail to keep the ladies safe. No free ticket to maniac island then.

Esquilax

Arcane
These people know this area inside and out. If any of you think that it's possible to slink away, then come back and steal water from an area that they are extremely familiar with, you're dreaming. It's just not possible to bullshit these guys - we don't even know where the fuck we are!

Make friends, not enemies. And for that reason, it's entirely reasonable to ride a sandworm, so let's do it! B

Baltika9

Arcane
===Tally===
A - 0
B - 10
C - 0
D - 9
E - 0

Nevill - B
Baltika9 - B
asxetos - B
hello friend - B
CappenVarra - B>D
ItsChon - B>D
Absinthe - B
Azira - B
Esquilax - B
Life of the Party - B>D

Tigranes - D
Egosphere - D
Orbit - D
Kalarion - D
Lambchop19 - D
Grimgravy - D>B
ERYFKRAD - D
Kz3r0 - D
baud - D

===

An opportunity for what, exactly?
From my perspective: earn the respect of the desert nomads and maybe learn something. In other words, make frens!
:happytrollboy:

Don't forget that grandma Tlalli will be disappointed if we fail to keep the ladies safe. No free ticket to maniac island then.
Ah, but not if we succeed.
:troll:

Last edited:

Tigranes

Arcane
Yeah, fantasy rationalising. Maybe they have Excalibur buried in the sands! Maybe they have a free harem to go! We have zero indication of anything.

B is simply "adventure? OK let's do it, never mind our responsibility to Rain or consequences." If we go that way, so be it, let's just be honest about what it is. Hopefully we succeed in it and hopefully we get something out of it, somehow.

Baltika9

Arcane
Yeah, fantasy rationalising. Maybe they have Excalibur buried in the sands! Maybe they have a free harem to go! We have zero indication of anything.
:roll:
Exaggeration Hamster, round 3.

'Everyone Who Disagrees With Me Lives In Fantasyland, or The Conservative Mindset,' by Tigran the Great.
+M

We're in a desert without water, and we aren't certain when Talli will return. These guys are trying to kick us out of the one relatively safe and comfortable place the desert has: an oasis. We have an opportunity to stay at this oasis if we pass this trial. My own perspective is one thing, but there are objective reasons as to why we would want access to the oasis: water, shade and shelter.

Edit:
B is simply "adventure? OK let's do it, never mind our responsibility to Rain or consequences." If we go that way, so be it, let's just be honest about what it is. Hopefully we succeed in it and hopefully we get something out of it, somehow.
2qerll.jpg

Last edited:

hello friend

Arcane

Why do you hate fun?

Esquilax

Arcane
Why do you hate fun?

As an occasional member of the Anti-Fun Voting Bloc, you'd probably have a lot more fun developing a character long-term rather than throwing them at every insane, risky option that comes their way. I mean, I get it - water here is scarce and whatever they did to get the right to drink from this oasis, it probably wasn't easy. Plus we've taken our fair share of risks thus far, seeing as we went with Tlalli even though we could have avoided doing so. Sometimes it's much wiser to quick while you're ahead, and that's solid reasoning from the Anti-Fun Bloc.

That being said, I'd rather get along with these people than antagonize them. I wonder what they'll do if we decide to stand our ground (A), but I'm fairly sure that they'll figure out exactly where we are quite quickly if we decide to get clever and try to use the watering hole after they leave.

As for what I intend to get out of it, Tigranes - well, these people know their way around the desert, even better than Tlalli does, I reckon. Tlalli knows the way back just fine, but it's always nice to have a few extra guides in such an inhospitable place.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The reason I'm leaning towards B is because it's implied the kid also went through whatever right of passage they had. Perhaps that's why their group is so small, whoever fails either dies or is left to die, alone in the dessert. Either way, if this 'lil Mohammad shit can do it, we definitely can, even while draggin the two girls as dead weight (and with the boots and glasses, there's a chance they'll be of great help too).

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
D because I don't think embarking in an unknown trial is a good idea. Since they look like nomads, they won't stay forever at the oasis

Tigranes

Arcane
My overall view remains the same:

I'm not wailing and screaming that B will get us all killed - as I said it's fine. I'm just voting D because I think Wrinkly likes adventure, but he's not so flippant and self-centered to sign up for every optional mysterious challenge when he's got Rain to go back to.

If B does end up winning, I'm wondering what the gauntlet is supposed to involve. There's basically just sand everywhere, right? Is it just going to be something like a duel on the spot? Or are they going to give us a mission to find the temple of trials? Given that they are all wearing big backpacks we can surmise that going anywhere from here is not an easy task.

Baltika9

Arcane
If B does end up winning, I'm wondering what the gauntlet is supposed to involve.
I first thought that the challenge would involve a duel of some sort, given how the child of the group was shaking his fist at us. But, given how the chief referred to our entire group:
The man falls quiet while his people murmur amongst themselves. One of the smaller figures, a child of about your height, steps forward with a shout, shaking their fist. The man holds the child back firmly, muttering some words in his language. Then, he speaks once more to you, with an air of finality. “We have our traditions. But I doubt ones such as you would succeed. I will say no more. Leave.”
I think this is a group trial of some sort, one that tests our wits ability to survive, or requires us to track something down. It would fit with the theme that Arabic/Berber/Tuareg cultures have in general more than a wrestling match. Plus, assuming these people are Muslims, they wouldn't even consider fighting women, especially little girls.

Alright, I'll fess up. One other reason I want to do B is because I want to read and explores cultures and themes that aren't British, French, or German. Tlalli is a great start, but I want more.

Absinthe

Arcane

Tigranes I think you've made this kind of bullshit argument before. There are very real reasons for why it's a good idea to try to stay at the oasis that shouldn't require explanation. There is also the fact that succeeding will probably net us positive rep with their tribe, and you never know when that is going to come in handy. Seeing as we have low charisma, developing positive reputation with factions is a good idea.

Besides, with any luck, these desert nomads are into trials of endurance, which we'll ace, or other hunter/survivalist shit, which is also right up our alley.

Orbit

Scholar
We're in a desert without water, and we aren't certain when Talli will return.
I'm pretty sure we're allowed to take water rations for a few days with option D. Otherwise this option amounts to "LOL, die from dehydration" and anyone with more than a single intact brain cell would stand their ground instead because a low survival chance is still better than no survival chance.

Edit: Also, everyone seems to assume that we're going to breeze through their ritual. What if we fail and end up unable to cross the desert without assistance due to injuries?

Tigranes

Arcane
The man falls quiet while his people murmur amongst themselves. One of the smaller figures, a child of about your height, steps forward with a shout, shaking their fist. The man holds the child back firmly, muttering some words in his language. Then, he speaks once more to you, with an air of finality. “We have our traditions. But I doubt ones such as you would succeed. I will say no more. Leave.”
I think this is a group trial of some sort, one that tests our wits ability to survive, or requires us to track something down. It would fit with the theme that Arabic/Berber/Tuareg cultures have in general more than a wrestling match. Plus, assuming these people are Muslims, they wouldn't even consider fighting women, especially little girls.

Alright, I'll fess up. One other reason I want to do B is because I want to read and explores cultures and themes that aren't British, French, or German. Tlalli is a great start, but I want more.

I also wondered about this. I mean, for all we know, it's just the kid going "fuck off water sucking foreigner asshole". ItsChon seems to think it's the kid bragging that he's done the gauntlet?

It could also be that they 'doubt ones such as us' would succeed because the gauntlet tends to require intimate knowledge of the desert terrain and survival tricks.

I had implicitly thought that Tlalli would be back fairly soon, not more than 48 hours, but that might be assuming things not fully confirmed. If she's away very long, then yes, D doesn't work.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

I also wondered about this. I mean, for all we know, it's just the kid going "fuck off water sucking foreigner asshole". ItsChon seems to think it's the kid bragging that he's done the gauntlet?

It could also be that they 'doubt ones such as us' would succeed because the gauntlet tends to require intimate knowledge of the desert terrain and survival tricks.

I had implicitly thought that Tlalli would be back fairly soon, not more than 48 hours, but that might be assuming things not fully confirmed. If she's away very long, then yes, D doesn't work.
I'd also like to point out that if it is survival related, this is a great chance to go back to our Hunter roots. Could be a test from Tlalli, and this could influence whether or not we have a chance with the Hunter's Association. The test could also be to see whether we'd be smart enough to back off and just wait for Tlalli instead of rushing headfirst into danger, but eh, the first is more likely than the second.

Baltika9

Arcane
I think it's because they don't think that two teenage girls and a little boy with burns will be able to survive in the desert. Think how these guys, who came in full desert gear, must see our under-equipped, improperly dressed group of children:
The newcomers to the oasis reveal themselves. There are about twelve of them; men and women, adults and children. At least that is what their silhouettes seem to be – you cannot be sure, as all of them are cloaked in ragged clothing that reveals little of their figure. Their heads are shrouded in ragged, brown strips that leave only their eyes uncovered. What little you can see of their skin appears to be tanned. Each of them is carrying a large backpack; even the little ones.
They have no respect for us because we look like a bunch of lost, ill-equipped children. Which is fair.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
I'm pretty sure we're allowed to take water rations for a few days with option D. Otherwise this option amounts to "LOL, die from dehydration" and anyone with more than a single intact brain cell would stand their ground instead because a low survival chance is still better than no survival chance.
That's exactly how I read it, though. The scarce water supply is exactly why they're chasing us off. I think that their sentiment, in Tigranes' words, is:
"fuck off water sucking foreigner asshole."

Edit: Also, everyone seems to assume that we're going to breeze through their ritual. What if we fail and end up unable to cross the desert without assistance due to injuries?
That is a real possibility, and a risk that I accept because I think that we'll be able to handle it, both as a character and as players.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
That is also my take. They say "our traditions", implying that this is a friend-or-foe (or rather, an outsider, us/them) test, and that any of their group can pass it. Not sure if it is required of those who are obviously one of them.

This also means that it is rare for an outsider to have the necessary knowledge or training, which is why he doesn't think we'd pass.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom