Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
I am not using combatfag as a degrading word

You are an imbecile.
I am not using "imbecile" as a degrading word.

How do you sensitive faggots even manage to browse the internet when something as harmless as X-fag offends you? I am using faggot as a degrading word.
Grotesque gets butthurt easily, don't worry.

...says the one who I skullfucked months and months ago because he's an imbecile (derogatory term intended this time) who likes to fap to snuffs and videos with gore galore.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
...says the one who I skullfucked months and months ago because he's an imbecile (derogatory term intended this time) who likes to fap to snuffs and videos with gore galore.
It's hard to take your claims of skullfucking me seriously as you type furiously on the keyboard, tears streaming down your eyes and your butthold clenched up tight. Whatever floats your boat.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Remarkable that the guy still ends up being worlds above every other companion in the game. Any sources on that? Did he leak his initial concept somewhere? Might be interesting.
Here you go, from Chris' own words.

Goddamnit, persons of public interest like him shouldnt be allowed to conceal their posting history by limiting they account. Any way to circumvent that?

Sounds like he gave them the backstory for him and then let them tinker in good faith. But might also him being cherishable in words to not burn any bridges in the industry.

I am such a stan of Avellone, whenever I google a character I particularily liked this fucker shows up as the author. Erritis from Torment:NumaNuma was the last one where that happened.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
It's hard to take your claims of skullfucking me seriously as you type furiously on the keyboard, tears streaming down your eyes and your butthold clenched up tight. Whatever floats your boat.

even your imagination and wishful thinking is mediocre at best, the hallmark of every degenerate and gory thrill seeker out there.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron

even your imagination and wishful thinking is mediocre at best, the hallmark of every degenerate and gory thrill seeker out there.

Ah the blossoms of young love. Get a room you two, there you can skullfuck eachother all you want.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Goddamnit, persons of public interest like him shouldnt be allowed to conceal their posting history by limiting they account. Any way to circumvent that?

Sounds like he gave them the backstory for him and then let them tinker in good faith. But might also him being cherishable in words to not burn any bridges in the industry.

I am such a stan of Avellone, whenever I google a character I particularily liked this fucker shows up as the author. Erritis from Torment:NumaNuma was the last one where that happened.
I really have no idea why they keep butchering his contributions tbh. I guess in the case of PoE1 it's understandable because he wrote like 4 times more than everyone else and they had a word quota, which I also don't understand, especially since the text was so badly edited (read: not at all) it doesn't matter. Not using any of the text he wrote (if he has written anything at all) for D:OS2 seems even weirder.

Incendax

Augur
If all you care about is story then why even play an RPG? There are thousands of visual novels and adventure games that are all about dialogue. It makes sense for some people to hate storyfags because it is so unnecessary. But hate combat and you are playing the wrong genre.
Combat is hardly necessary for an RPG, it's just the most common 'game' element. A good example of a low combat RPG would be Disco Elysium.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
On VtMB, the dialog and investigation is the best part of the game and the final parts more heavy combat focused, the worst. On New Vegas is possible to convince the final boss to not fight you. Same for Arcanum. I honestly love heavily combat focused RPG's like icewind dale and heavy story focused games like vtmb.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
If all you care about is story then why even play an RPG? There are thousands of visual novels and adventure games that are all about dialogue. It makes sense for some people to hate storyfags because it is so unnecessary. But hate combat and you are playing the wrong genre.
Combat is hardly necessary for an RPG, it's just the most common 'game' element. A good example of a low combat RPG would be Disco Elysium.
If it doesn't have combat it isn't an RPG. It is an Adventure Game. (or visual novel)

Last edited:

Harthwain

Magister
Combat is necessary when violent conflict resolution is required.

In case of Disco Elysium it did work out, because the game is limited in scope and the story is shaped in the way that not much combat is required, but I expect more possibilities for combat in something like Disco Elysium 2: The Shadows of Revachol. The real question then is how the combat will be handled, if there will be more of it. It could be a good reason to incorporate a separate combat layer.

jpg

Then again, it's entirely possible to make combat wholly dialogue-controlled, for consistency and more player-control over the action. The main obstacle in this case would be that it's a lot of extra work for every encounter. On the plus side, this means each encounter has to be meaningful in a way, otherwise it's a waste of resources to write a script for it containing all the ways of dealing with said combat scenario.

Ramnozack

Cipher
Patron
Had a gut feeling this game would be complete ass, seeing that creature they hired to “””write””” for this game only confirms my suspicions. You all owe ontopoly an apology for your very hurtful mockery!

Lacrymas

Arcane
Had a gut feeling this game would be complete ass, seeing that creature they hired to “””write””” for this game only confirms my suspicions. You all owe ontopoly an apology for your very hurtful mockery!
Except we've been saying the writing is going to be irredeemable trash from day 1, so this isn't a gotcha moment.

Lacrymas

Arcane
BG1 was ok in the sense it's readable and unobtrusive. BG2 on the other hand assaults you with text and started the romance craze that still plagues us.

Swen

Scholar
Shitposter
Yeah. Eat my ass you dumb bitches.
Chill out fags. That soyboy is an ex gamespot employee, Larian hired him to get instant 10/10 ratings from gamespot and co. He has no influence on the real story and important characters.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Yeah. Eat my ass you dumb bitches.
Chill out fags. That soyboy is an ex gamespot employee, Larian hired him to get instant 10/10 ratings from gamespot and co. He has no influence on the real story and important characters.
This is pretty old news my newbie friend. Van Ord hasn't been at Gamespot for more than 5 years. I remember he wrote the BG2 review at Gamespot way back when there was no youtube, facebook or twitter, and the Internet was in black and white.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
bg games never had good writing

Its servicable and nowhere near as bad as DOS.
BG1 has very little writing in general, and less of it if you dont follow the main quest. The main quest however is pretty good, with the Bhaalspawn and his own awakening to his blood.

BG 2 has more stories packed into it, but the main quest is worse. Irenicus makes for a compelling antagonist, but too much time is spent dicking around gathering gold for petty thieves and scaming Drow.
Pretty much all quests which end in you getting a class fortress in BG 2 are good. Most companion quests are good. Every area tends to have had one stand out quest which has interesting writing. Stuff like the Cult of the Eyeless.
They assigned the different areas to different writers and gave them full creative control and it shows. Some areas are amazing, others are pretty forgettable. It also lead to fun quirks like the minotaur in the caverns behind the inn in BG2. Serves no plot purpose and dies immediatly since he is a humage to on IRL campaign of the designer of that area.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Divinity: Original Sin 2 is a big improvement over the first game in the writing department (I don't know if thanks to or despite of the absence of actual dialogue lines for the main character). The "ahah big funnies" moments are scarcer and usually relegated to minor interactions and the overarching plot is less retarded (still too retarded, but in a less painful way). If going from D:OS2 to Baldur's Gate 3 they improve as much as they did between the two D:OS games AND understand that they should cut at least 75% of the dialogue lines, I think this can even be good.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
and they had a word quota, which I also don't understand,

It drives up localization costs. Not a big deal if you only release a game with English text, but that isn't the case (French, Italian, Germsn, Spanish, Russian, Polish).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom