Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The PS5 and Xbox 2 thread - it's happening

sullynathan

Arcane
Arkham knight looks mostly as good as that demo. Horizon and Breath of the Wild look better than that too, and they're all full open world games, not a vertical slice.

Pegultagol

Erudite
I wonder if the first party will aim for current level of fidelity possible on PS4 Pro but 4K and 60fps plus HDR. At least for the first few years. I'd be somewhat more interested if backward compatible games getting the 4K treatment.

sullynathan

Arcane
I wonder if the first party will aim for current level of fidelity possible on PS4 Pro but 4K and 60fps plus HDR. At least for the first few years. I'd be somewhat more interested if backward compatible games getting the 4K treatment.
Microsoft is very clearly going to do the latter quickly since they've already done so for a large amount of Xbox 360 and a few original Xbox games. Since this tech demo was 1440p 30 fps, I wager Sony especially will not mandate or push for 60 fps. Microsoft wil llikely not have all titles at 60fps either but they will probably push it more with 4K for marketing purposes like they've done at the tail end of this gen.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Even most of the "4k" games on Xbox One X are either 30fps or reconstructed from a lower resolution in some fashion. True native 4k at 60fps is extremely hard to achieve, even on a good PC. I doubt that changes for a long time, especially with them pushing ray tracing and shit. This UE5 demo being 1440p and 30fps says a lot about where it's all headed.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
nC9OkLR.png

Sony is pretty much giving permission to be robbed.

I guess I'll get a PS5 and Bloodborne this year...

Kek.
Nintendo is the only one with enough sense not to get involded in this clusterfuck.
Based Japs.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
The "go ahead and loot, we're sorry" thing is probably the current apex of white guilt, but I'm sure there's a long way to go.

You know you dummy that this isn't about looting, but about the systematic tyrannizing of poor people by American tax-payer funded thugs?

Going ahead and celebrating games and fun and shit in the face of all of this would be a bit tasteless and callous, to say at least. But Sony doesn't have anything to lose here anyways, as their symbolic act of solidarity (genuine or as a heinous marketing charade) will only end up selling them more PS5's.

Irata

Scholar
Since they care about human rights have they moved their factories to Taiwan yet or are they still debating it? Did they post in support of those kids in Hong Kong? I'm going to laugh if Trump puts new tariffs in place right before these things launch.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
You know you dummy that this isn't about looting, but about the systematic tyrannizing of poor people by American tax-payer funded thugs?

You can protest that without looting small businesses owned by minorities, destroying your own neighborhoods and beating the shit out of old ladies trying to protect their stores. I'm fine with the real protests and companies supporting those, but the Sony statement directly supports property destruction and looting. That's retarded.

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Just a marketing move. They want to maximize outreach but they cant now cause of 'muricans going bat shit crazy and taking all the headlines.

Both consoles should be out by november anyway.

Btw, question for you Sony fags not related to riots.

How important is back compatibility to you?

They still keep their lips shut about it but its a big issue I got when compared to Xbox versions where even now I get enhanced versions of games.

For someone that didnt buy a game on a disc for atleast 15 years I wonder what will happen with 80+ games I got on my Sony account and how will they work and transfer to a new console. I'd like to keep my library and ditch the old PS4. But if I get a PS5 and install lets say God of War and it still runs at 1080/30 it just makes it worthless getting cause at release there gonna be like 2 games worth playing.

ricolikesrice

Arcane
they should bundle the PS5 with a free 6 months subscription to blacked.com - finally all those pathetic white guilt cucks can see their imaginary girlfriend "take a knee" for a good cause in premium quality.

#icantbreathe taken on a whole new level

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I'd like to keep my library and ditch the old PS4. But if I get a PS5 and install lets say God of War and it still runs at 1080/30 it just makes it worthless getting cause at release there gonna be like 2 games worth playing.

Did the Xbox backwards compatibility change framerate? I was under the impression they jury-rigged resolution increases, but didn't change other things like shadow settings and framerate. I'm a PC only guy, so I dunno.

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
One X got alot of games with selection of 1080/60 or 4k/30. Thats mostly for One titles, cant think of 360 titles that got that besides higher res, like AC, RDR run in 4k. But plus add in more stable framerates and faster loading times but those are given cause its much better hardware.
That shit will get even better with new X.

Feel like Sony could update atleast its first party titles like MS does for their system, but got a feeling they might want to double dip and charge extra 30-40 bucks for "remastered" editions while the previous owners will be stuck on "legacy" mode.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
One X got alot of games with selection of 1080/60 or 4k/30. Thats mostly for One titles, cant think of 360 titles that got that besides higher res, like AC, RDR run in 4k. But plus add in more stable framerates and faster loading times but those are given cause its much better hardware.
That shit will get even better with new X.

More stable makes sense, but my point was I think altering the framerate takes a lot more work. Not sure I'd expect that from the Series X backwards compat.

Jrpgfan

Erudite
That guy said 5-6 years. That's a lot of time.

I'm not a dev/programmer myself so I can't make in-depth commentaries, but I'm seeing a lot of devs talking about how PS5's architeture and SSD are a big step forward in the industry as a whole, technologically speaking.

One good thing out of this that is certain though, is that nvme PCI-e SSDs prices are gonna drop. I'm myself holding until some time after PS5 launches to get a top one with higher storage space. The prices for even the lower-end ones are insane right now where I live.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom