Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Solasta Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
I did pick up a couple dumbbells early on, luckily, but now fitness equipment is pretty much sold out in my area.
You can do a lot with just dumbbells. Other than that I'd recommend having an exercise mat and running shoes (nothing too fancy - just light boots with good amortization).
You can just do yoga. No dumbbells or shoes needed

Bara

Arcane
Next Community vote is to determine the origins of insects with a focus on caster devouring. Choices are between "From the Cataclysm" or "From Manacalon"

I'm personally leaning for the Manacalon one.

Community Vote - From whence cometh the Redeemers?
ea283WMpGMlrXEar4i31Gtppp51xCcgivzS4AAZi.png

Giant insects with terrifying destructive capabilities, Redeemers are a scourge upon the world. They devour everything in their path, are incredibly hard to kill and - if that wasn't terrifying enough - have the innate ability to identify and go after spell-casters first. But what manner of curse unleashed these monsters on Solasta? Their origin has been hotly debated amongst scholars for centuries, but it will soon be revealed...

By you, our players! Redeemers are fearsome foes that your party will face during their travels, able to burrow underground to attack you by surprise and taking down even the most armor adventurer with ease. Where do they come from? This is a question you will be answering until Sunday June 21st, 11:59 pm PDT!

8F1WR0G8QQQwUaspihKmXuw8T6ytwUKyhHi9J6C5.png

It was not only the land that was warped by the magical energies of the Cataclysm. Outside the Badlands, these insects are no larger than a thumb, and feed their underground colonies by clearing the surrounding area of smaller insects, carrion, and other organic debris. These mutants continue to prey on anything they can overpower - which effectively means almost any creature they encounter, since they now range from the size of a horse to that of an elephant.

Enhanced size is not their only mutation. Contact with the weird energies unleashed by the Cataclysm has given the guardian and behemoth castes magical abilities that make them even more dangerous.

The first contact happened in the middle of the 6th century AC as a nest cut a swath of destruction through the Marches, leading to the complete destruction of a couple of settlements. As one of the settlements was occupied by religious fanatics who wanted to bring the Light of the gods and redemption to the uncivilized parts of Solasta, their fate triggered a nasty quip of dark humor about redemption coming from strange places - and thus the name Redeemers was born.

The Redeemers behave very much like social insects. There may be a hive mind, but it is more organizational than intellectual, and there is no culture to speak of.

There is a queen at the heart of the nest. When local resources are exhausted the colony moves on, cutting a path of devastation until a new location is found. This is a rare event, and fairly hard to spot in the Badlands given the disrupted state of the overall landscape. From time to time, larvae will grow into potential queens and fly out to found new colonies.

hw8qhXovufVBV2vecsWDGohDOKLeYGrF8fP96bnC.png

Their origin lies in the wish of the Empire to dispose efficiently of the waste generated by their magical works and to recycle it. The redeemers were created with different purposes in mind, from the mindless drones to the fearsome behemoths. Each had a function, under the careful supervision of the mages of the Arcaneum. Specific spells were needed to create them, and controlling them was usually done through magical rings.

It was a common practice of the Manacalon overseers to offer a slave redemption... which simply meant having them devoured by the drones - leading to them taking the name of Redeemer. The drones were a common feature in the Manacalon Empire, as they fed on the dead but also cleansed magic gone awry through a strange alchemical process called Traesfaer. Its secrets, of course, have now been lost in the sands of time.

As the Cataclysm unfolded, the magical energies released changed quite a few things in the behavior of the redeemers:

• Their appetite for dead flesh didn’t limit itself anymore on the dead
  • Traesfaer changed to become something dire
  • Their intelligence improved exponentially, leading to the formation of what resemble a society which hasn’t exactly been understood yet

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's not a new module, it's an updated version of the old demo.

https://www.solasta-game.com/news/81-steam-summer-festival-new-demo-available-june-16th

STEAM SUMMER FESTIVAL - NEW DEMO AVAILABLE JUNE 16TH!

Hello there you wonderful folks,

We know a lot of you have been craving a slice of that delicious Solastan pie. We keep showing you new stuff, but screenshots and videos alone are not enough! Well, today we're here to deliver some great news - Solasta will have a new Demo available during Steam Summer Festival, starting Tuesday June 16th! But that's not all. We will also do a Dev Stream and an Ask Us Anything on our Discord Channel during that week, so be sure to drop by and say hello!

What's on the Menu for the New Demo?

This new Demo will feature two parts:
  • The Character Creation Tool
  • Ruins of Telema Module v2.0
VvHgbUhfGyNgPh2iqdvQC7O8NCCkI7w7yafSkNYV.png

That's right, you'll be able to create your very own party with our Character Creation Tool! Have fun exploring all the different choices and options available to you, and if you feel a bit lost don't forget to check our video Dev Diary about this particular topic!

The Ruins of Telema module is also back! A short 1h30 adventure featuring a pre-made party of 4 level 3 adventurers with no risk of spoiling the main campaign since it's a stand-alone module - so don't hesitate to play it! Unfortunately you won't be able to take your newly created characters into Telema since this module only supports the existing pre-made party, but the final game will of course allow you to do so.

77TBcxjhBTeZCqZB4fWAolWm2seBRsGkSsp96cfP.png

For our returning players, the Ruins of Telema v2.0 has been updated with the latest character models, facial animations, spell effects and even has a couple new features such as being able to use 'Ready Action' in combat, or lighting oil puddles from afar with Firebolt! Give it a try again, you won't regret it.
Note: Keep in mind that we're still in Alpha, so everything is far from being final! We will be adding additional customization options and quite a bunch of other features before release, but we encourage you to tell us what cool things you feel are missing on our Forums!

A Week of Festivities

Make sure to join us on the following dates to talk to the team directly:
You can set a reminder on Steam by going to these event page and clicking the "Set a Reminder" button.

Talk with the Devs (Chill Stream)

Come have a chat with us on stream! Mathieu "Tactical Archimat" (Creative Director), Xavier "Zaz" (Gameplay Director) and myself Emile "Myzzrym" (Community Lead) will be streaming the Demo at the start of the Steam Summer Festival. We'll be discussing Solasta and answering questions taken from our chat for approximately two hours, so make sure you're following us on Twitch. If you don't have an account there, worry not - we'll also be streaming directly on Steam, on our store page!

Ask Us Anything on Discord!

For those who can't make it to the stream on Tuesday, we'll also be taking questions in a special channel on our Discord Server on Friday during the entire morning (US) / afternoon (EU). Anyone can ask questions! We'll be gathering all of them and answering them in a separate channel for visibility, then make a recap on our Forums!

Frequently Asked Questions

Here are the answers to a couple of questions we often receive that we're already covered.

Is Solasta going to have a multiplayer / coop mode?

No, at least not for Solasta: Crown of the Magister. Adding multiplayer was scoped and deemed too much of a risk for our first project, we wanted to focus on making a great single player game first. That being said, it's something we'll keep in mind for our future games - we very much enjoy coop games ourselves!

What's our stance on modding?

We love modding! As we're developing Solasta on Unity, the game will be moddable by default (think Pathfinder: Kingmaker). We've looked into creating Modding Tools, but designing ones that would be simple enough to use would be very complicated indeed. Still, it's somewhere in our backlog - so maybe sometimes after launch? No promises though, it's a huge task!

What languages will Solasta support?

We have announced localization for France and Germany (text only), and we're looking into Russian and Chinese (nothing confirmed yet)

Will we have Solasta on Consoles?

This is very much something we would like to do, so we're currently looking into it! However we're focusing on releasing a PC version first, which remains our top priority.

Will there be Early Access for Solasta?

We haven't decided anything yet! We love community feedback, so we're looking at what makes the most sense for Solasta.

Has a release date been announced for Solasta?

Not yet! Keep an eye out there :)

Bara

Arcane
Well this German article apparently has 9 minutes of game play in it but apparently you have to sign up/ pay to view the video?

There is at least a couple new screen shots in articles collection of screen shots.

Didn't seem like there was any new information but I only have the butchery of google translate to rely on.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

https://www.solasta-game.com/news/82-solasta-choose-your-path-trailer-is-out

SOLASTA "CHOOSE YOUR PATH" TRAILER IS OUT!

Hey there folks,

We have less than 24h before the Steam Summer Game Festival starts, and what is that? A new trailer?! Oh boy, time to feast your eyes on this video - you don't want to miss it!

Solasta Choose Your Path Trailer

It was time for us to go all out! New locations, new spells, new monsters... Hopefully you're now more eager to play than you ever were before! If so, it's time for me to sneak in a reminder to wishlist us on Steam if you haven't done that yet - it really helps us out. Now, what did you think about it? What new information did you manage to pick up from this trailer? We're more than eager to read your fan theories!

Join the Summer Festival Dev Stream!

As mentioned before, we're now less than 24h before the start of Steam Summer Festival - and with it comes out a brand new, updated Demo of Solasta! But that's not all, we will be hosting a 2h Dev Stream to celebrate the release of the Demo at 10 am PDT / 1 pm EDT / 7 pm CEST. Follow us on Twitch to make sure you don't miss it! You can also set a reminder on the Steam Event Page to receive a mail when the Event starts.

Only four of us will be joining this stream, but we wouldn't be here today without our entire team!

We will also be hosting a Dev Ask Us Anything in a special channel on our Discord Server on Friday 19th during the entire morning (US) / afternoon (EU). Anyone can ask questions! We'll be gathering all of them and answering them in a separate channel for visibility, then make a recap on our Forums!

IGN Summer of Gaming Interview

For those who did not catch it live, the trailer was revealed on IGN Summer of Gaming with a short interview with Mathieu Girard, our CEO and Creative Director! You will be able to find it on their IGN Expo Day 4 stream, or on their Youtube Channel once they add the VOD.

Last edited:

purpleblob

Savant
Thoughts on the trailer - beautiful graphics except the character models (which reminds me of NWN2). Love the city/town designs. There seem to be too much jumping across though.

deuxhero

Arcane
Some various comments on the new demo:
The balance in character creation is kinda whack without Sorcerer and Warlock. Paladin is currently the only class that cares about charisma, and it's skewed toward strength+charisma. This means Half-Elf and Island Halfing are kinda without real use (and Human is too because 5e).

The at-higher levels option should show you what subclasses there are and what their abilities do. Moving one score over another in ability selection should swap the two, rather than dropping the one you're holding back in the top. It doesn't look like you can select any ranged weapon on classes that give you a choice of any simple or martial weapon. You should be able to zoom out during the appearance selection segment because you can't see what phisique does otherwise (and since most of the game is shown from overhead, many will want to know if their character looks acceptable at a distance). As mentioned before using "First Name" when you don't use "Last Name" looks odd and "Given Name" should be used instead.

Bara

Arcane
No need to wait!

Seeing the cape clip through the elfs body in half around 0:46~0:48 was hilarious. I wonder if they just didn't notice because the scene is so dark or it was the best shot they could get at the time.

Originally I thought maybe the cape was wrapped around his body.

Still I can't wait to play around with the character creator tomorrow and plan out my eventual party. Just a shame we cant use them through the playable demo.

Well now I regret deleting the previous demo.

It'll be up tomorrow! Those who still had the demo can have access to the new update one day before :)

purpleblob

Savant
The balance in character creation is kinda whack without Sorcerer and Warlock. Paladin is currently the only class that cares about charisma, and it's skewed toward strength+charisma. This means Half-Elf and Island Halfing are kinda without real use (and Human is too because 5e).

The at-higher levels option should show you what subclasses there are and what their abilities do. Moving one score over another in ability selection should swap the two, rather than dropping the one you're holding back in the top. It doesn't look like you can select any ranged weapon on classes that give you a choice of any simple or martial weapon. You should be able to zoom out during the appearance selection segment because you can't see what phisique does otherwise (and since most of the game is shown from overhead, many will want to know if their character looks acceptable at a distance). As mentioned before using "First Name" when you don't use "Last Name" looks odd and "Given Name" should be used instead.

Where are these comments from?

Elex

Arbiter

Dexadin work perfectly is even better than str paladin.
1 less ac for better initiative and better dex save (the most useful one against damage) and same damage.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Steam demo is out.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tacticaladventures/solasta-crown-of-the-magister/posts/2865338

Steam Summer Festival is LIVE! Play the new Demo NOW!

3... 2... 1... annnnd GO! Head to our Steam Page and download the new demo NOW! That's right, I won't even be giving you much of an introduction today, all of us are just too hyped up to see new players joining and new feedback rolling in!

"Choose your Path" Trailer & Interview by IGN
It was time for us to go all out! New locations, new spells, new monsters... Hopefully you're now more eager to play than you ever were before! If so, it's time for me to sneak in a reminder to wishlist us on Steam if you haven't done that yet - it really helps us out. Now, what did you think about it? What new information did you manage to pick up from this trailer? We're more than eager to read your fan theories!

This trailer was revealed on IGN Summer of Gaming with a short interview with Mathieu Girard, our CEO and Creative Director! You will be able to find it on their IGN Expo Day 4 stream, or on their Youtube Channel once they add the VOD.

Dev Stream is LIVE! Join us now!
For the next 2h, Mathieu, Xavier, Pierre and I will be hosting a Dev Stream to celebrate the release of the Demo - ending at 12 pm PDT / 3 pm EDT / 9 pm CEST. You have a question for us? Join us on Twitch and ask away!You don't have a Twitch Account? Not to worry, you can also join the stream on our Steam Page directly!

Don't be shy, come and say hi!

Did you miss it? Not to worry, we will be uploading the VOD to our Youtube Channel later! Also, we will be hosting an Ask Us Anything in a special channel on our Discord Server on Friday 19th during the entire morning (US) / afternoon (EU). Anyone can ask questions! We'll be gathering all of them and answering them in a separate channel for visibility, then make a recap on our Forums!

Grab The New Demo While You Can!
That's right, after the Steam Summer Festival is over, the Demo will be gone again! Will it come back later? That's a maybe, depending on future Steam Events - but why risk it? As a reminder, once you have the Demo downloaded you will keep it as long as you don't uninstall it. So you don't need to worry about it disappearing from your library.

So go on and head to our Steam Page! This new Demo features two parts:

• Character Creation Tool
  • Ruins of Telema v2.0
Both features are separate, so you won't be able to run around Telema with your newly created party (unfortunately our first demo was built and voice acted with a premade party in mind!) - but fret not, as the final game will allow you to do so without limitations! A full party of four heavily armored dwarven paladins chanting Deus Vult? Sure, why not! Who needs stealth anyway!

The Ruins of Telema v2.0 has been updated with the latest character models, facial animations, spell effects and even has a couple new features such as being able to use 'Ready Action' in combat, or lighting oil puddles from afar with Firebolt! Give it a try again, you won't regret it.

Note: Keep in mind that we're still in Alpha, so everything is far from being final! We will be adding additional customization options and quite a bunch of other features before release, but we encourage you to tell us what cool things you feel are missing on our Forums!

From Whence Cometh the Redeemers?
Last but not least, it's the last week to vote on the origins of the Redeemers- nasty giant bug monsters scouring the Solastan Badlands! You have until Sunday June 21st.

Article by Tactical Myzzrym

Last edited:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I do hope that the devs don't get too focused on the verticality aspect of the game and that way make it tedious shit. It is a nice feature but it shouldn't be the focus of the level design,or the levels will become generic,repetitive and boring,on top of that they will feel unrealistic. It reminds me of prince of persia where you had to loop around sliding walls and jump over spike traps only to get to the toilet :).

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
I do hope that the devs don't get too focused on the verticality aspect of the game and that way make it tedious shit.

I can tell you that they probably won't. I've been told that most of the game won't emphasize verticality quite as much as the demo scenario does.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I do hope that the devs don't get too focused on the verticality aspect of the game and that way make it tedious shit.

I can tell you that they probably won't. I've been told that most of the game won't emphasize verticality quite as much as the demo scenario does.
Nice,you improved my expectation.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom