Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software The Dark Souls II Megathread™

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
As mentioned in the Dark Souls 3 topic today, I got DS3 Deluxe for $12.17 from the greenmangaming sale. Gonna have some Dark fucking fun, bros :D I enjoyed DS2 very much but was heartbroken that when I came back from vacation to resume playing it and did a acronis restore of my Windows drive I lost all my progress in Dark Souls 2. I was about 3/4 of the way through the main campaign and was looking forward to starting the DLC. How come Dark Souls 2 & 3 don't support Steam cloud saves but DS1 does??? It's kind of weird.

Sidenote: I had played it on a Sony DualShock 2 bluetooth controller and learned the true meaning of the horrors of latency and input lag but i didn't know any better back then. I thought I just sucked at playing.
Lucky you: you have a good reason to start another DS 2 playthrough.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
I killed Darklurker before, i mentioned doing that whole covenant for the Dragon Chime, but i didn't think about killing the dragon. The dragon covenant guy from DS1 was immortal so i automatically assumed it was the same here.

Guess i'll also have to kill all the NPCs too for their loot.
Kill the dragon. It's the stupidest boss in the entire series, you can't say you truly experienced DS 2 if you haven't cursed your god at least once thanks to the Ancient motherfucking Dragon.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I killed Darklurker before, i mentioned doing that whole covenant for the Dragon Chime, but i didn't think about killing the dragon. The dragon covenant guy from DS1 was immortal so i automatically assumed it was the same here.

Kill the dragon. It's the stupidest boss in the entire series

I think you're confusing it with he Ancient Wyvern in DS3. Because that one is some high quality stupid.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron

Kill the dragon. It's the stupidest boss in the entire series

I think you're confusing it with he Ancient Wyvern in DS3. Because that one is some high quality stupid.
The Ancient Wyvern is stupid, but it's harmless compared to the Ancient Dragon.

The Ancient Dragon is the lowest point of the series. That puny gimmicky wyvern can't even hope to compete with it.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I'm planning to play it because i got wind of the fact it's in a playable state in the emulator. So what about the difficulty it's not like that's the only thing that matters here.

Silverfish

Arbiter
I left the Ancient Dragon alone. Fighting a dude with a billion hp in the game with the fastest weapon degradation never appealed.

Black Angel

Arcane
I left the Ancient Dragon alone. Fighting a dude with a billion hp in the game with the fastest weapon degradation never appealed.
The first time I fought him I had an inconceivably shitty build and I broke two swords to take down that fucker.
I vaguely remembered farming Raime/Fume Knight to powerstance his ultra greatswords in both hands to buttrape the Ancient Dragon.

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Killing ancient dragon is pointless
winning the fight doesn't reward you with a cool ass boss weapon or fashion soul drop
he's not mechanically fun to engage
and he isn't even hostile to you in the first place. You are the one poking it with sticks.

Fighting something like this is very sisyphean.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
winning the fight doesn't reward you with a cool ass boss weapon or fashion soul drop
and he isn't even hostile to you in the first place. You are the one poking it with sticks.

It drops an important item lore-wise (if you care about that stuff), but the only real reason to waste your time trying to kill that bastard is to be able to boast about having killed all DS2 bosses (again, if you care about that stuff).

Black Angel

Arcane

If you want to use the Ruler's Sword, King's Ultra Greatsword, and/or King's Shield, you'll need Soul of the King. To get the Soul of the King, you need to defeat the hollowed Vendrick in the Undead Crypt. If you want to defeat the hollowed Vendrick here, you'll need Soul of a Giant to make it actually possible to damage Vendrick, five of which needed to deal full damage and can only be gained, aside from the giant encounters and memories, also from the Ancient Dragon. Defeating Vendrick also make it possible to access the King's Set. While you can respawn the giants down in the Black Gulch with the ascetic, it seems they only drop their loot upon their first encounter, so it's not possible to farm the soul there. Not sure if you can use the ascetic to get the soul from the memories, though.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron

If you want to use the Ruler's Sword, King's Ultra Greatsword, and/or King's Shield, you'll need Soul of the King. To get the Soul of the King, you need to defeat the hollowed Vendrick in the Undead Crypt. If you want to defeat the hollowed Vendrick here, you'll need Soul of a Giant to make it actually possible to damage Vendrick, five of which needed to deal full damage and can only be gained, aside from the giant encounters and memories, also from the Ancient Dragon. Defeating Vendrick also make it possible to access the King's Set. While you can respawn the giants down in the Black Gulch with the ascetic, it seems they only drop their loot upon their first encounter, so it's not possible to farm the soul there. Not sure if you can use the ascetic to get the soul from the memories, though.
Fighting the Ancient Dragon to make Vendrick slightly easier is like fighting the entire USA army and steal their weapons to kill your paralytic neighbor.

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

I killed Vendrick without the extra soul, it's really not worth going that extra smile.

baturinsky

Arcane
NgCKSNc.png

Fashion souls. Also, even with just 4 souls, Zwei+Greatsword powerstance burned down Vendrick pretty fast.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
Dark Souls 2 has the best fashion souls, best weapon variety, power stance, hexes, more creature variety and better NG+.
Dark Souls 2 is the best in the Souls trilogy. Dark Souls 1, a close second.
Bloodborne and Sekiro are exceptional.
Also Dark Souls 2 has bonfire ascetics in case you want to fight again a boss that you liked.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Bloodborne and Sekiro are exceptional.

I disagree. Bloodborne is only about speed. And Sekiro, they just took away character building, coop, pvp, rewards for exploration(...) and forced you to play the entire game with the most overestimated weapon in the humanity which never had a significant impact in a battlefield(Katana).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom