Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Shadow Empire - planetary conquest from Advanced Tactics/Decisive Campaigns dev

Kuattro

Augur
Matrix is the publisher, not only a storefront :
They take their cut anyway (for marketing, maybe giving him some money in advance, and other publisher stuff...) , whether it is sold on Steam or on their store.

So the difference is that on steam, the dev would get:
70% * X % (100%-matrix share) * Price

On Matrix, he would get: (100%-matrix share) * Price

Unless Matrix also takes a share for transactions that happen on their store, but I doubt so (they don't sell games from other publishers AFAIK).

Does the dev receive more money in this store? It's the only reason I would buy from Matrix.

Edit: https://steamcommunity.com/app/1154840/discussions/0/2248929785821437625/

Hi guys,

Shadow Empire will be released on June 4th on Matrix Games store while Steam release will follow.

It's a procedure we apply for the majority of our "wargames" and complex strategy games.

As always it will be possible to redeem the Steam key of the game once it will be out on Steam, for which you won't have to wait until 2021.

Hope this helps in clarifying better the situation.

Best

:what:

As far as I understand it, Steam gives you the option of asking for keys and selling them on your own store for 100% of the profit. If that's true, the only explanation I find for this is that Matrix fears releasing simultaneously on Steam would siphon some of their sales and reduce their profits. It really doesn't make a lot of sense, it's not as if the game is about to sell a million copies, and Matrix doesn't have the problem indie developers face of not having a store to sell Steam keys directly, since they already have their own store and they could sell Steam keys immediately.

Weird.

zapotec

Liturgist
I guess that i have to manually apply the patches if i buy it in the matrix store right?

Hoggypare

Savant
I guess that i have to manually apply the patches if i buy it in the matrix store right?
At least some of the matrix published games have launchers that patch the games automatically, but You also have the option to do it manually

Edija

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Eh... from my experience with Armored Brigade, I think the launcher has an auto updater but don't quote me on that. Also Matrix is the only option if you're not willing to wait for the steam release.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
It really depends on the game. However, you should also get a Steam key anyway, so it won't matter much once the game is also on Steam.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer

Edija

Arcane
Patron
Holy fucking indiegame batman I'm going on the high seas with this one. Fuck them.

EDIT

I understand its niche and indie, needs a higher price tag for it to be profitable due to smaller playerbase but I paid the same for Bonerlord which I know that I will play for years due to mod and dev support, I don't know about this. There are many complex indie games that didn't resort to this kind of prize tag. But yeah, Matrix, you know.

Last edited:

zapotec

Liturgist
Seems like the matrix 2019 anniversary discount still apply for this game (11% off):shredder:

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Seems like the matrix 2019 anniversary discount still apply for this game (11% off):shredder:
Yup, last year, at least, the anniversary discount worked for all games, including the newer ones.
But are you sure the 2019 one still works? They are usually only valid for one month or so.
I'll wait until mine (in August) to get it.

top priority for a mod is too change the awfull portaits with something more appropriate for the setting, ie gas masks/rad suits etc.

Even better would be for these to be directly in png/jpg form in a folder so that we could subsitute them without waiting for a mod.

Last edited:

zapotec

Liturgist
Yup, last year, at least, the anniversary discount worked for all games, including the newer ones.
But are you sure the 2019 one still works? They are usually only valid for one month or so.
I'll wait until mine (in August) to get it.

Even better would be for these to be directly in png/jpg form in a folder so that we could subsitute them without waiting for a mod.
Yup,
c6MXB6F.png

tsiforb

Learned
Patron

Bottom of the Wargamer review:

"Between June 4th & June 19th, Wargamer readers can get 20% off the price of the digital edition of Shadow Empires. Simply use the coupon code 'Wargamer20' at the check out on the Matrix Store. Max 1 activation per user."

Holy fucking indiegame batman I'm going on the high seas with this one. Fuck them.

EDIT

I understand its niche and indie, needs a higher price tag for it to be profitable due to smaller playerbase but I paid the same for Bonerlord which I know that I will play for years due to mod and dev support, I don't know about this. There are many complex indie games that didn't resort to this kind of prize tag. But yeah, Matrix, you know.
I thought it was going to be 49 or 59 lol.

edit: also this will have lots of Dev support and it will be modifiable so will almost guaranteed to be modded, all the guys similar type games have both been heavily supported and modded (talking about Advanced Tactics more so than his world war 2 games), and people seem even more excited about this game and it is getting good reviews, so I don't see why it would not be supported and modded.

edit edit: actually I was wrong, looks like there will not be official modding support right away because he said the game is too complicated and he can't take the time to deal with it. I still think things like graphics will be modded fairly quickly, but that is just a guess.

The Dev. will support the game IMO, and add things like air and navy to the game if it sells well and people like the game, which I think is a near certainty.

Last edited:

Beowulf

Arcane
Matrix is great.
Their launchers were usually customized for each game series, but recently they all seem to have adverts and links to matrix store about latest games.

So in Shadow Empire launcher, a game that I purchased since it's out, I have an advert telling me that Shadow Empire is out and a link to purchase it.

:hero:

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
i've played only about 2 hours but i've already gathered that this game is better than 80 percent of the new 4x games i've ran into

Hoggypare

Savant
You know it is a decent game when it comes with 350 pages-long manual.

Some compared it to Alpha Centauri, but probably the closest game to SE is Emperor of the Fading Suns, only polished and highly playable.
It oozes autism, but in a very, very good way.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
You know it is a decent game when it comes with 350 pages-long manual.

Some compared it to Alpha Centauri, but probably the closest game to SE is Emperor of the Fading Suns, only polished and highly playable.
It oozes autism, but in a very, very good way.
Playable Emperor of the Fading Suns... :shredder:
It will be hard to resist until my anniversary coupon...

i've played only about 2 hours but i've already gathered that this game is better than 80 percent of the new 4x games i've ran into
I have just been messing around with the planet generation stuff, its so awesome and detailed, I have been doing it for hours...amazing.

This guy's youtube video series he just started following the game is extremely well done and also very detailed.

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
I have just been messing around with the planet generation stuff, its so awesome and detailed, I have been doing it for hours...amazing.

This guy's youtube video series he just started following the game is extremely well done and also very detailed.

i love the detail put into the planet generation. i'm actually working if it's possible to get an atmosphere setup that's actually tolerable for humans

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom