Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Commandos-Like Desperados III from Mimimi Productions (Shadow Tactics devs) - now with Money for the Vultures DLC

DemonKing

Arcane

Kitchen Utensil

Replaying Shadow Tactics on Hardcore in anticipation of Desperados 3.
And boy is the game good. Just the right amount of difficulty and openness. I'm taking completely different appraoches than on my first playthrough, but the amount and placement of enemies is so tight that you really have to think your way through the maps, it's all kinds of awesome! All characters are likeable and fill their niche, with only Yuki being a bit overpowered, but that may also be me. Nice graphics (achieved with Unity!), cool story, a nice ambient soundtrack, superb options menu and perfect console port (yeah, I'm playing this on Xbox) round it off.
No way the new Desperados will reach or surpass this. I hope it'll be half as good.

Nito

Educated
Patron
Played the new demo today. It's really good. If you enjoyed Shadow Tactics, you will enjoy this, as it's more of the same. There are a few tiny refinements to the UI, and some other mechanics embedded into the map design; but overall it's Shadow Tactics: Guns of the Cowboys.

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Played through the demo and its good. Probably d1p if I got the time to play it. Humble sells it at 40 if you got their choice subscription so not too expensive.

Next up, sell the concept to Ubisoft and make one AC game. Should boost the popularity of genre with Ubis marketing moneys.

mikaelis

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
Played through the demo and its good. Probably d1p if I got the time to play it. Humble sells it at 40 if you got their choice subscription so not too expensive.

Next up, sell the concept to Ubisoft and make one AC game. Should boost the popularity of genre with Ubis marketing moneys.

Yes, especially conquest of North America is horribly underused theme (not surprising as it is not something to be proud of by modern USA). My favorites:

1. Tecumseh rebellion

2. Great Sioux War (Crazy Horse)

3. Nez Perce War (Chief Joseph)

All of them are great basis for any kind of game (especially crpgs of course), but from existing franchises AssCreed games as well as Desperados-like titles would be great as well.

rashiakas

Cipher
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Well it has controler support. Cant sell you console game if its too hard.

oldbonebrown

Arcane
Shadow Tactics played close to perfect with controller and had some pretty gnarly challenge badges.
For me it was in those extra challenges that Shadow Tactics was at its best. In the end I wished for even more and harder challenges, but I'm not sure many others agree.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Played the demo and it's a thoroughly well made game, but a bit on the easy side.
I remember sweating like a Mexican bandito playing the original Desperados some 100 years ago. This demo seems to be very cooling in comparison.
Meh, it's the first two levels, right? One expects a lengthy tutorial period nowadays.
Out of curiosity, did you play Shadow Tactics? The high difficulty setting and later levels were plenty challenging for me.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
I played the Shadow Tactics demo and therefor am entitled to state an important opinion about the full game.
npc.png

Nah, I'm just not into this genre anymore despite playing the Commandos series, Desperados and Robin Hood to death. But that was a long time ago.

Jezal_k23

Let me know how good the game is. But make sure to buy the fuckin thing and play it legit when it comes out...

I'm really fine with waiting, because I got shit to do in the meantime:

pfjcgFO.jpg

REEEEEEEEEALLY doubt I'm gonna get all badges until Desperados III comes out, since I know most of the missions in the last half of the game to be living hell, but we'll see. I'll do my best.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
Yeah, I just finished that mission where the demo ends. A lot of Hitman stuff in it. Very cool. And the badges, holy shit, those will be tough. And there are some funny ones too. Very good so far.

Unwanted

Horvatii

Unwanted
This is gonna flop like Deadfire cause zoomers realized they dont actually want Commandos style games.

For some reason the full game already leaked...
"That's how this was done, someone was selling a press key and I happened to be the first one to buy it."
- game """journalists""" once again

Last edited:

Child of Malkav

Erudite
Zoomers never played Commandos styled games and these games are not targeted towards them anyway.
I don't believe Mimimi wanted to attract an audience outside the usual RTT fanbase that's been starved for games like this since 2002.
Shadow Tactics and this game are basically love letters to the fans of this genre.
Seeing how Commandos 2 Remastered was received with various degrees of opposition and the not so fruitful collaboration between the devs and the fans, Mimimi is the only studio making this type of games. And making them right.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom