Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

A great action-RPG that you ignored in 2019: Far Cry New Dawn

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
I know i will get hatred for saying that, but it is the truth. For me, only 2 RPGs were fun in 2019

a) The Outer Worlds

b) Far Cry New Dawn

Since the Outer Worlds is a known quantity here, i would like to start a conversation about New Dawn, which, like what Ubisoft did with the Assassin's Creed series lately, introduced some light-RPG elements into it, bluring the lines between your typical Far Cry game and Bethesda's Fallout.

First of all, why i consider New Dawn to be an RPG? Obviously i am not trying to troll or trigger you, although most will claim that. New Dawn indeed includes many RPG elements. It features stats for your character and opponents, character progression, equipment progression, NPCs, a large open world map with NPC towns, bases, and other places of interest, a homebase for you to upgrade with NPCs to assist you, factions you can join, a nice post apocalyptic revenge story. It has companion NPCs that are upgradeable. It has a skill tree for you. It has plenty of vehicles to upgrade to and use. The wildlife is level-based and you need to farm it for materials to upgrade your staff. Literally, if New Dawn had more fleshed out NPCs, choice and consequence (it has not sadly), and a dialogue system (you can't pick your responses), it wouldn't be any different from New Vegas or Fallout 4. So i am not saying it is a hardcore RPG or a clear example of the genre, but if you fags can nominate a visual novel/point & click adventure like Disco Elysium for RPG GOTY here, or consider third person metroidvanias like Dark Souls an RPG, i don't understand why New Dawn is getting ignored....

Now that i established that New Dawn could clearly be considered a half-RPG or action-RPG hybrid, is that game any good?

Well yes, it is awesome, although it is short and it is apparent that it is just a standalone expansion/sequel of Far Cry 5 (which was also great but didn't have the RPG additions). Still, it had some of my most memorable set pieces in gaming. The emergent gameplay it features is awesome, maurauders and wildlife keep patroling the roads and when they spot you mayhem ensues. I often loved just waiting at a crossroads to ambush people, reinforcements arriving, and chaotic situations everywhere, destroyed vehicles, lots of corpses, chaos, FUN! The game features bases you have to liberate in order to control an area, filling it with your pals instead of the enemy soldiers, like the rest of the Far Cries. It has awesome shooting and driving/flying/boat mechanics. Companions are fun and full of cheesy personality. The whole game is tongue in cheek, the "Christian" cult leader lunatic from Far Cry 5 blew the whole world up with Nukes and you get to deal with the aftermath.

As an RPG, obviously it is light. You don't get to ponder on what can change the nature of man and similar pretentious bullshit or take 3 hours savescumming to win a single turn based battle. There is a town of refugees needing your help from post apocalyptic female lesbian niggers. After the nukes fell the antifa rule the world and kill white people. The white people found refuge in a town called Prosperity, and you need to protect it, upgrade it, bring more people to work on it, and gather strength to destroy the antifa. On the road you are going to meet another faction of barbarians who are at war with the antifa, and you will bring them to an alliance with you, granting you a barbarian rage skilltree also. They will also spawn on the map to help you and attack your enemies, so it is cool. All in all you can feel the progression as you upgrade your skill tree, equipment, and vehicles. At first you are going to be a weak POS but late game you are going to become a one-man army liberating the wasteland from scum, like in every Fallout.

Should you buy it? Depends on you. It is not expensive and if you have a machine that can run it decently and would like a light RPG/First person shooter hybrid to have some fun and a change of pace from the tedious "hardcore" savescumming marathons, go for it. It is also a beautiful game, the engine is awesome and the openworld is great. If you don't know if you will like it or you don't want to pay for it, pirate it, i don't care, i am not a shill or own Ubisoft stock so i don't give a fuck. I personally enjoyed it very much and had much fun. I am definitely looking forward to more RPG elements introduced to Far Cry in the future.

Codex Year of the Donut
It's not an RPG, there's already a thread for it in general gaming.
It has a skill tree for you.
No, it does not. There is no tree about it. You simply unlock the entire thing by playing the game, much like unlocking abilities by playing an action game.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Bethesda's Fallout.

[...]
Do I need to read more or can I stop here?

EDIT: in the end I decided to finish it and, I have to say, I'm not disappointed. I'm not a refined connoisseur, but that's some quality shit-posting in my opinion. 8/10 would read again.

These are my favorite parts:
The wildlife is level-based and you need to farm it for materials to upgrade your staff.
I hope by "staff" he means his dick.

So i am not saying it is a hardcore RPG or a clear example of the genre, but if you fags can nominate a visual novel/point & click adventure like Disco Elysium for RPG GOTY here, or consider third person metroidvanias like Dark Souls an RPG, i don't understand why New Dawn is getting ignored....
He says Dark Souls is just a "third person metroidvania", while Far Cry should be considered at least an RPG-lite because:
It features stats for your character and opponents
just like Dark Souls
character progression
just like Dark Souls
equipment progression
just like Dark Souls
just like Dark Souls
a large open world map with NPC towns, bases, and other places of interest
just like Dark Souls (well, there are no lively towns)
factions you can join
just like Dark Souls
a nice post apocalyptic revenge story
just like Dark Souls
you need to farm it for materials to upgrade your staff
just like Dark Souls, except that there you can actually upgrade your staff.

Last edited:

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
To be absolutely fair to you, I must confess I did enjoy Far Cry 5 more than I thought I would. At least for the first half before I got bored. So I can see how a shorter, more refined version would be enjoyable. I might well pick it up when I'm on the mood for some open world shooty-shooty boom-boom.

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
To be absolutely fair to you, I must confess I did enjoy Far Cry 5 more than I thought I would. At least for the first half before I got bored. So I can see how a shorter, more refined version would be enjoyable. I might well pick it up when I'm on the mood for some open world shooty-shooty boom-boom.

Far Cry 5 was really good, but some things spoiled it, like those story interrupts with the region bosses. As an open world shooty shooty cheesy americana theme park, it was as good as it gets. In comparison to that, New Dawn uses the same map (although you will hardly recognize it, they changed it a lot), it has the afformentioned light rpg mechanics introduced, but it is shorter in scope and some content, although good, is repetitive (you need to clear the same 10 bases 3 times each for max level). Personally i didn't mind the repetitive environments much, because it was fun. You will get less "hours" from New Dawn, but still fun hours. If you enjoyed the gameplay of Far Cry 5, definitely grab New Dawn on a sale.

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
The game features bases you have to liberate in order to control an area, filling it with your pals instead of the enemy soldiers, like the rest of the Far Cries.
In Far Cry 2 as you clean out enemy outpost and move away 10 meters, then decide to go back, it is already repopulated by respawned enemies. Not to say that they decided to abolish the beautiful mechanic when there are two factions and regardless of which faction is your employer, they all still want to kill you. This is what ruined Far Cry games for me (haven't played a single one after FC2, but still)

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
Yeah yeah, please by all means, tell us what yours is. coincidentally whatever the codex hive mind tell you is "incline". Remember, it is not nice to have your own opinion, you have to farm brofists and be popular....
China, you should start yet another "Witcher 3 is shit" thread. Yes, it is a dead horse, but this way you can trigger way too much people here. It seems that Codex has a soft spot for visual novels.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Your taste in games is pure... :decline:.

Yeah yeah, please by all means, tell us what yours is. coincidentally whatever the codex hive mind tell you is "incline". Remember, it is not nice to have your own opinion, you have to farm brofists and be popular....
Friend, my taste are my own as evidenced from many post dating back to 2006 when I joined this last bastion of good cRPG taste. So you like pop-a-mole modern crap (I do not), at least you own it and wear it proudly... why, I don't fathom?!
:majordecline:

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
China, you should start yet another "Witcher 3 is shit" thread. Yes, it is a dead horse, but this way you can trigger way too much people here. It seems that Codex has a soft spot for visual novels.

Witcher 3 is pure awesome. Not just the story, the gameplay too. It is a great game, why would i want to shit on it? And by the way, codexer edgelords hate Witcher 3, i thought the common codexian "consensus" is that it is shit. So how am i to trigger them with a thread like that? The only way to trigger them is a "Witcher 3 is GOTY" thread.

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Friend, my taste are my own as evidenced from many post dating back to 2006 when I joined this last bastion of good cRPG taste. So you like pop-a-mole modern crap (I do not), at least you own it and wear it proudly... why, I don't fathom?!
:majordecline:

What are you talking about? I do own it. I am right here saying i like those games. Especially Bethesda games since Fallout 3 or Witcher series. I am not hiding it. I am just saying they are not "decline", just because you say so. It is just like, your opinion, man....

Xamenos

Magister
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Obviously i am not trying to troll or trigger you, although most will claim that

I do claim that. This can't be anything but a troll post. And you're trying to hard. I've seen more sophisticated bait on /v/ of all places!

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
I do claim that. This can't be anything but a troll post. And you're trying to hard. I've seen more sophisticated bait on /v/ of all places!

I explained why i consider New Dawn an RPG game. It is not a core RPG game, obviously, but has enough RPG elements to warrant being considered an RPG hybrid game. In a forum where you dare to award GOTY to visual novels, 3D action platformers, or strategy games, just because they have stats to level up, i don't think New Dawn should be ignored. I stand by my opinion.

ColCol

Arcane
What does it offer over the other far cries outside of rpg elements that likely fuck with the feeling of the gunplay?

Lemming42

Arcane
Generally a fan of the Far Cry series but New Dawn didn't do much for me. There's some great outpost assaults as always but it just felt like it was missing something compared to the rest.

Dedicated_Dark

Arbiter
You can't be serious! New Dawn was a piece of shit!
I gave it a chance after the rubbish that was Far Cry 5, but it was still shit!
And fckn RPG? Show some restraint on the drugs you wanker!

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I hadn't laughed like this in years. TemplarGR is officially the biggest chad on the Codex. If I go to Greece on vacation this year, I will find you and personally shake your hand. :D

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
As Jeff Goldblum once eloquently put it: that is one big pile of shit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom