Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Shantae and the Seven Sirens- New Shantae game

Anyone played it? I've heard it's more of a straight Metroidvania than any of the previous games, and that it's character control and moveset takes a lot of inspiration from Hollow Knight, which sounds good, but I thought Half-Genie Hero was a pretty big decline from Pirate's Curse and $30 is a pretty steep pricepoint.

spekkio

Arcane
Pirated but not checked yet. :(

Same opinion on Half-Genie Hero (decline compared to Shantae #2 and #3). So Shantae #5 being an incline would be a surprise.

Dodo1610

Arcane
Shantae 5 is complete Metrovenia with one large interconnected map + self-contained dungeons so it's not like Half-Genie Hero. It reminds me a lot of Pirates Curse though Shantae's trademark transformations are back that process is now instantaneous so you no longer need to go to the dance menu which makes the gameplay a lot smoother.
The new additions are the card system so you get cards by killing enemies which give you a small buff (Don't expect something like Bloodstained's the shard system) You also unlock new spells that affect both combat and environment: the healing spell also kills undead enemies + makes flowers grow!

Overall I like it a lot it's exactly what I wanted from a new Shantae game a fun pretty Metrovenia with fast precise gameplay and of course the franchise's typical character/enemy art design.
:desu:
Sadly no soundtrack by Jake Kaufmann but the game has cool tracks
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXwM72FKee4
https://open.spotify.com/track/7andgR2930ifgeunXzThD0?si=swC-aWrJT-S9y2e7jHlwhg

Last edited:

Tehdagah

Arcane
Didn't play it yet but I bet it has no challenge just like every other Shantae game.

spekkio

Arcane
Game doesn't work on my rig (Win7 x64 + 4th gen Intel CPU + GeForce GTX 1050):

MpVuaaH.png

Afair Half-Genie Hero had the same problem (for people with much better rigs than mine too), but you could've used the 32-bit exe to launch the game. Not this one, though (only one, 64-bit .exe).

I'm not sure if I meet the requirements or not (who buys Radeon cards?):

h8HeeHF.png

But since my rig is able to run shit like Resident Evil 2 or Nioh without problems, I'm sure as hell happy that I've decided to try before buying. OFC some sheeple think otherwise:

qO6ngyZ.png

Not so wrong from my perspective, morons. I didn't even had to worry about refund policies and shit. :lol:

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture

MpVuaaH.png

Afair Half-Genie Hero had the same problem (for people with much better rigs than mine too), but you could've used the 32-bit exe to launch the game. Not this one, though (only one, 64-bit .exe).

h8HeeHF.png

But since my rig is able to run shit like Resident Evil 2 or Nioh without problems, I'm sure as hell happy that I've decided to try before buying. OFC some sheeple think otherwise:

qO6ngyZ.png

Not so wrong from my perspective, morons. I didn't even had to worry about refund policies and shit. :lol:

Piracy is verboten in the open forums here and tolerated in GD. Crispy is afraid of google blackops teams.

spekkio

Arcane
Tested the game on my laptop (Win10, i5 CPU, Intel 620 GPU) and it works fine. So the error on Win7 is probably OS- or Directx- (11/12) related. Cuz' I don't think integrated Intel CPU > Nvidia GTX 1050. :lol:

flyingjohn

Arcane

MpVuaaH.png

h8HeeHF.png

qO6ngyZ.png

The game works fine on my rig.Windows 7 64 bit,i5-4460 and a 750ti.
The driver version is the same one i tested in the atelier thread.
So the problem is on your end considering my gpu is weaker then yours.

Try going to the bios setting and disabling the integrated gpu,that might help.

spekkio

Arcane
It's definitely sth with my rig.

'Cuz desipte upgrading my Nvidia drivers to the newest version, both Atelier Ryza and Shantae 5 don't work on my rig (Win7 x64, i5-4570, GTX 1050). So it's either sth related to bios (integrated GPU?) or Chipset. Will investigate further, thanks mang.

Last edited:

spekkio

Arcane
Yo, flyingjohn.

It turned out my problems with Shantae were caused by the lack of the Directx 11.1 update. :oops:

Sadly, I had no idea such thing even exists and has to be installed as a separate system update (KB2670838).

FLTaP3Z.png

'Cuz using the "regular" DirectX web installer (dxwebinstaller.exe) does jack shit. This little faggit does not update DirectX to 11.1.

Anyway, Shantae 5 now works:

xjnvQfl.jpg

And I'm leeching Ryza (for the 3rd time) to check if it will as well.

Big thanks, BRO. You are like one of the 3-4 'Dexers who are actually useful / know what they write about.

:love:

spekkio

Arcane
OMG just look at the time!

#bellydancingtime

Guess who's back!

fZQhPJO.jpg

:yeah:

B4NJ69G.jpg

I bet this guy will turn out to be some shady character. It's like Megaten and demons or Fire Emblem and fucking dragons.

Anyway, newsflash:

ywsDz9v.jpg

JRLzO24.jpg

:dance:

(maybe we get some big-breasted one this time...)

HbF0vGh.jpg

:yeah:

Do these games have any kind of difficulty?
The first one is moderately hard, the rest are generally quite easy (still haven’t played 5) with an occasional slight spike in challenge (e.g.the final sequence of Pirate’s Curse). They’re not really trying to be hardcore platformers though, just charming hybrids/throwbacks to Metroid and DKC (albeit easier than those). They’re also very silly which tends to either endear or annoy depending on the player’s sense of humor, and they’re also entirely unapologetic that almost every major character in the series is a scantily-clad sexy lady.

To;dr, they’re not for everyone and at their best are a polished homage to other games rather than something wholly new and ambitious.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
I haven't played this yet but the fact that Studio Trigger did the opening is enough to get me to buy it eventually

Infinitum

Scholar
I liked the Pirate's Curse so gave this a go. Movement techs/transformations being context specific is nice, but I can't recommend it as a whole. Short, lobotomized story and characters, extremely poorly optimized with 10-15 second loading screens between areas even with an SSD (and areas are small to boot, eg town screens) and the challenge is nonexistent (you already have functionally infinite life thanks to ubiquitous food drops, and about one third into the game you get regenerating mana and healing/screen wipe magic). Adding insult, the cutscenes are poorly drawn and animated and glitch out more often than not.

Also, there's the existential angst of finding yourself playing what is essentially baby's first metroidvania but with animated titties and ass everywhere. Never again.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
I just started playing this yesterday and it's my first Shantae game. I'm definitely a fan now. Normally I hate 2d platformers but I'm really enjoying this for some reason. The art style probably has a lot to do with it. Everything is just so damn cute. The game seems pretty wholesome too which is a nice change of pace from the constant degeneracy of modern gaming

flyingjohn

Arcane
I just started playing this yesterday and it's my first Shantae game. I'm definitely a fan now. Normally I hate 2d platformers but I'm really enjoying this for some reason. The art style probably has a lot to do with it. Everything is just so damn cute. The game seems pretty wholesome too which is a nice change of pace from the constant degeneracy of modern gaming
Do yourself a favor and play pirate's curse after this,it is the best shantae game.

So I played this. It's good. It's really good. It's almost great. Sadly it's not great. There are some just baffling design decisions that ultimately hamstring it.

Biggest problem is that it is by far the easiest Shantae game, a series which is overall renowned for it's easiness.

Other problems:
Boss design is utterly forgettable. This is especially disappointing since bosses were one of the few things Half-Genie Hero got right. The second and third bosses were particularly illuminating to me in Seven Sirens; neither one was remotely difficult (I one-shotted them without losing a single heart), but the second boss was a tedious attrition battle that took me 5 minutes of waiting out attacks before I could kill, the 3rd was a damage-race that took me only 30 seconds. One took forever, one was over before it even began.

Transformation dances are less inspired than in other games. Particularly frustrating is how two of the dances are functionally identical, but are used to traverse different kinds of "terrain" (sand and water).

Not enough Rottytops (best character in the series, feel free to go ahead and update your .txts).

Citizen

Are those games actually good metroidivanias or just mediocre ones that people play to fap to anime jinn titties?

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Looking at the YouTube video playthroughs, some of the art design and animations remind me of Aladdin (SNES and Sega Genesis) which is by no means a bad thing.

grimace

Arcane
This review sums up Shantae and the Seven Sirens on Switch.

https://www.youtube com/watch?v=XCOEdDTTJ28

Or just see the final review score here:

mpv-shot007018jsm.jpg

Shame about the physical switch version being "Limited Run"

And that collectors edition, man.

Commemorative Game Boy cart (non-functional) ?

MockUp_CE_Banner_Shantae5_SWITCH.png

PREORDERS CLOSE ON SUNDAY, JUNE 14TH AT 11:59PM EASTERN TIME

The Shantae and the Seven Sirens Collector's Edition includes:

Limited Run #72: Shantae and the Seven Sirens (Switch)
Reversible 18" x 24" poster
Commemorative Game Boy cart (non-functional)
Acrylic stand
50 Monster trading cards
SteelBook case
Original soundtrack

SHANTAE_SWITCH.png

Anyone find the physical cart at Best Buy? The art is said to be different.

grimace

Arcane
"Everything I've EVER Wanted!" - Shantae and the Seven Sirens Review
•Jun 4, 2020

pizzadudemanguy
13.5K subscribers

In over TEN YEARS of gaming-focused videos, my FIRST video game review! Spoiler-free, mostly!!

https://www.youtube com/watch?v=_w9XwifWuKU

Here's a more gameplay focused review.

Summary:
About 10 hours of no filler gameplay, some grinding required to obtain the monster card items, and random chance required to 100%.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom