Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout The original Fallout is the Mortal Kombat of CRPGs

Saduj

Arcane
What else is there except combat? Oh, you mean a couple of noncombat actions you can do in the whole game? A few dialogue choices and stuff?

When you have to deliberately misrepresent that which you are criticizing in order to make your point, you are wrong.

Even mainstream sites brought up how Fallout 4 would be disappointing as a Fallout game -- precisely because of the lack of choice, reactivity and quest design.

https://www.pcgames.de/Fallout-4-Sp...Ende-Enttaeuschung-Spoiler-Kommentar-1180104/

Fallout should have been bettered by now in that regard, a quarter of a century later indeed.

That's not what the current franchise holders seem interested in, however, as clearly demonstrated by the evolution from F3 to 76. The market proves them right. Players like to blow up stuff indeed.

almondblight

Arcane
They weren't tactical games, they weren't hard games, they didn't have much choice, they were short, they were buggy, their character systems were extremely flawed (most skills were barely useful), and the production values weren't that great.

The production values were pretty great (the game looks great, all the voice acting is top notch, and there are lots of nice little touches) and game length isn't an issue (2 was much longer than 1, but a worse game). Other than that, you're right - the combat, character system, and C&C were all pretty weak. Same with the quasi-adventure game elements. It has NPC's that are needlessly invincible. I like the game a lot, but it's definitely a style over substance game, like a lot of other Codex favorites (VTMB, PS:T, etc.).

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
This Summer!

The Codex's favourite Greekoid is back with a vengeance!

And he intends to crash this server... WITH NO SURVIVORS!!!

Templar's Crusade 2: Wild Hunt

Coming to a soon to be Retardoed thread near you.

Last edited:

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
In other words, Fallout of 1997 is exactly the same game that it was in 1997. BUT, in 2020 there have been many better games on the market, thus it is obsolete to play.
Oh, you mean like fallout 2? Even if fallout 2 is better I think it's still worth it to play 1. Mix it up a bit, you know?

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
sigh.

fallout 1 and 2 have both aged well because of their character design, unique setting, artistic design, atmospheric presentation, and the breadth of the choice and consequence in them. only a select few CRPG games match fallout 1 or 2 in terms of reactivity

allow me to elaborate with some key points:

1) both 1 and 2 are meditations on the consequences of unchecked imperialism and how destructive it can be

2) mark morgan's music is timeless and a huge source of inspiration for many budding musicians

3) the post-apoc dieselpunk aesthetic is well thought out, with no dumb gimmicks. stuff that can tangibly exist is there; there are no stupid standouts that don't mesh with the game's universe or art style

4) the choice and consequence design allows for many playthroughs, and you can achieve many character build with the SPECIAL system

Last edited:

rpg_noob

Barely Literate
Bethesda's writting is not much different. It is less "mature" than the originals, but it is still pretty much Fallout. People love the Bethesda Fallouts a lot, they do not love the originals this much, or else Interplay wouldn't go bankrupt.... There is a reason people even today don't play the Fallouts outside for a niche cult of nostalgia fags. Fallouts are available, they are cheap, they can even run on a phone these days, but people don't care about them, because they are trashy games and the setting is better explored in Fallout 4, the best in the series. That is why FO4 sold around 35 million copies and counting (or something like that, haven't kept in touch lately).

Pokemon Red/Blue remains to this day the best-selling game in the franchise but it is an objectively bug-ridden trashfire that was outdone in every single way by every single subsequent release. This is an accepted fact in the actual Pokemon fandom, but ask any Redditfag what the best Pokemon game is and they'll invariably say Pokemon Red/Blue because their brains never developed beyond the age they were when they first played it. Sales/popularity does not determine the actual quality of a product - and you either know that and you're just trolling or you really are that stupid.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I don’t know what’s worse; that the OP is truly a lonely sad kid looking for somebody ANYBODY who will listen to his stupidity and is willing for them to call him retarded just so he will have anybody pay attention to him...

Or that he really believes those retardado ideas and actually uses Fallout Fucking 4 as an example of a “proper” tactical game and a worthy Fallout game ffs and is miffed that all the “shills” don’t agree with his brilliance and could possible simply be doing it because they are jealous of his brilliant ideas

In any case it is simply sad, poor kid either way and noe I feel sorry for him

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Everything good about Fallouts 1 and 2 is in Fallout 4, but the engine is modern and the gameplay much more advanced..
But what I like about Fallout is the pulpy '50s sci-fi setting. Even 2 and Tactics forget that the game is supposed to be set in what the '50s thought the future would bring, not the future, but exactly like the '50s design-wise. Dunno about 4, but 3 felt like it was set twenty years after the Cuban missile crisis.

Falksi

Arcane
I grew up like many of you with the original Fallout games being some of my first PC gaming experiences. Obviously i enjoyed them back then. But having tried to replay them many years later, i realised something: They are not that great. I mean, given the time period, they were very good for those standards, but a close examination can reveal not only many flaws, but it can also reveal that Fallout design was nothing special (no pun intended) and the main reasons for their success and fandom lies elsewhere. I realised that Fallout is the Mortal Kombat of RPGs.

What does that mean? Mortal Kombat was generally a bad fighting game. Street Fighter II and other games like the Neo Geo fighters were much, much superior to Mortal Kombat in terms of gameplay quality. The only thing going for it was the "real life graphics" based on real actors, and the violence and blood. And yet, those very things made it top the sales charts. People prefered Mortal Kombat because it featured real actor ninjas, hot chicks in swimsuits, and tons of blood and fatalities and gore. The TV outrage about "protect our children" helped a lot with popularity too. Mortal Kombat was cheesy, but in a good way. Though other fighters were simply put better video games, the masses floked to Mortal Kombat because the gory combat was more fun. Kids and teenagers especially loved it more, because it was more "mature" in setting than the "kiddie" street fighter ii.... Thus Mortal Kombat was solidified as the most famous fighting game series, even though it wasn't that good.

I think the same effect happened with the original Fallouts. What really drew me in was the violence in Fallout, the gore, the ability to target specific parts (which was basically the only strategy involved, aside from who target to shoot first and with what gun/mode). The mature post apocalyptic setting that was different from all those kiddie fantasy games. It also helped that Fallout in general was pretty easy and straightforward. A very simple character system, with a very simple combat system. Just point and shoot. There is no depth and nothing to learn. You just create any character, ensure it has decent small guns stat, and that's about it. All else is a decent armor and the game goes from there. Very simple and straightforward to play. You just enjoyed the carnage and mayhem in a post apocalyptic setting. That was the novelty.

I think that is what most people don't want to admit. The original Fallouts are being held up to a pedestal they don't deserve, simply because of nostalgia. They weren't tactical games, they weren't hard games, they didn't have much choice, they were short, they were buggy, their character systems were extremely flawed (most skills were barely useful), and the production values weren't that great. People loved them though for the setting, the maturity, and gore. People were drawn to a post apocalyptic america. It was cheesy fun. That is what made us love those games.

Bethesda Fallouts brought these elements to our age, by using a modern engine with more freedom involved. Fallout 4 is a much better game than the original Fallouts. I know you don't want to accept this truth, but it is still the truth. Everything good about Fallouts 1 and 2 is in Fallout 4, but the engine is modern and the gameplay much more advanced. It is time to leave the past to the past and stop trying to hold RPGs back in the mid 90s just because you are too old to appreciate and immerse yourself to the modern games.

Tbh I think you have something of a point, I particularly like your analogy, but it falls over at "Everything good about Fallouts 1 and 2 is in Fallout 4", coz it 'aint.

Fallout 4 is fucking woeful from whichever angle you look at it. Whatever individual elements it contains, it's execution of them is bland, boring and wank.

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
16853.jpg

EXCELSIOR !

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
There is no depth and nothing to learn.

You mean just like just like every Bethesda game after Morrowind? :smug:

but that is a side-effect of truth-telling in an era(and website) of lies and deceit.

Fallout is flawed, archaic, obsolete, and mediocre by modern standards.

Fallout 4, the best in the series. That is why FO4 sold around 35 million copies and counting => Argumentum ad populum

Yeah... modern standards and logical fallacies aren't exactely compatible with truth buddy...

I left because the moderators were shit to me, allowing rude people to trash my thread

Why are you surprised?
You're the one that consistently makes trash threads. :lol:

There are even NPCs around here claiming that Oblivion was better than Skyrim. And they are not joking.

Well because it objectively is.
Despite being a shit game it objectively has better quests, more roleplay opportunities, world details and better expansions than Skyrim does.

For example, no people could survive for hundrends of years underground, they would die of vitamin D deficiency. So the whole premise is unrealistic. It is a fucking video game, not real life. You are just suppose to mess around, role play, and have fun. Not replace real life.

"Bro, internal consistency in a work of fiction doesn't matter. Just turn your brain off xD"

Dumbass.

What else is there except combat?

Truly different character builds.
Meaningful roleplaying situations.
Fun quests with multiple ways to solve them.
Good exploration.

You know essential shit that Fallout 4 lacks.

Game design gets outdated as well. New ideas and more powerful hardware make better games,

Not really.
If something isn't good after a couple of years, that means it was never good to begin with.
Hardware just allows devs to realise more complex concepts and do shit in a bigger scale. But complexity and scale aren't synonymous with good design.
Don't even get me started on ''new ideas''.

Last edited:

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Just when we thought we had got rid of him for good, he sneaked upon us like a Stealth Archer and rained down a volley of shitposts.

Last edited:

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
anvi You're telling me this guy doesn't bring a smile to your face with nearly every post? I think it's that particular mix of innocence, conviction and not exactly that dumb but obviously too dumb. Very :shittydog:

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
anvi You're telling me this guy doesn't bring a smile to your face with nearly every post? I think it's that particular mix of innocence, conviction and not exactly that dumb but obviously too dumb. Very :shittydog:
Who Templar? I don't even know his posts. I don't pay much attention.

Funposter

Arcane
it's just not any fun to make fun of templar when he's self-aware. i liked it better when you could call him a dirty, greek goatfucker (tautological, i know) and he would become supremely offended.

Machocruz

Arcane
I don't personally know about Fallout 4s quests or choices, having never played it, but it's pretty easy to get to the truth of the matter by comparing the quest branch breakdowns from the Fallout wiki.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom