Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Ys series

spekkio

Arcane
So my undub for Celceta is now reduntant?

:cry:

BTW. I've played the entire game with it and it worked fine.

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
Would I be correct in assuming memories of celceta is just a proto ys 8? The map, party system, and 3D gameplay all look like Ys 8's.

spekkio

Arcane
^
What Sara-sensei said. I've played almost all Ys games so far (Ark Of Napishtim, remakes of I & II, Oath In Felghana, Origin, Seven and Memories Of Celceta). Loved all of them, except gameplay in 1/2.

From the "action-platforming" trilogy (Napishtim - Felghana - Origin) I liked Origin the most. But all these games are great.

Then Seven introduced the "party + rock-paper-scissors" system and I was like "WTF?". But eventualy got used to it. It's still Ys, but with different gameplay. But Seven is only "not great, not terrible".

And just recently I've finished Celceta and simply loved it. All systems got updated, game is charming, well-written (probably the best in the entire series), has some really hot chicks (unfortunately some of them tend to run away ;) ) and is really fun to play. It was maybe a little too easy, but as a filthy casual I've played on normal. Tough guys and gals should probably choose some higher difficulty right away.

Looking forward to 8.

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
So started playing Ys8 based on Valky 's gushing review and although it's pleasant enough, I'd hardly call it top-tier so far. It's on Hard and is possibly a little on the easy side. Bosses can still take a character or two out, but I've got loads of revive items so it's not much of a hurdle. I've just beat the obligatory giant spider boss and it's all been a bit humdrum. Holy shit, those invisible walls though! This game takes them to new levels along with loading lines between little zones, thanks to consoles I presume.

Does it start picking up in terms of challenge and story anytime soon? Everything is just a bit safe and middle-of-the-road up to this point, not really getting the pulse pounding much.

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
So started playing Ys8 based on Valky 's gushing review and although it's pleasant enough, I'd hardly call it top-tier so far. It's on Hard and is possibly a little on the easy side. Bosses can still take a character or two out, but I've got loads of revive items so it's not much of a hurdle. I've just beat the obligatory giant spider boss and it's all been a bit humdrum. Holy shit, those invisible walls though! This game takes them to new levels along with loading lines between little zones, thanks to consoles I presume.

Does it start picking up in terms of challenge and story anytime soon? Everything is just a bit safe and middle-of-the-road up to this point, not really getting the pulse pounding much.

And an hour after I post this, I try the 'Night Exploration' mission and the difficulty ramps up considerably. Dropping into a watery pit filled with annoyed seal mini-bosses was not good for Adol's health.

Silentstorm

Learned
Also, like it has been said, Ys 7 was the first game to have any kind of party and it's clearly the game that came before the rest, it's the weakest entry from 7 onwards, if anyone picks it up after playing Celceta, 8 or 9, it's still a decent game, but they were trying new stuff out, like it's been said, everything before Ys 7 has Adol being an one man army slashing everything to oblivion.

I mean, aside from that strategy spin-off for Nintendo DS...an attempt at doing a Warcraft-like game on the DS with visuals that aren't up to Falcom standards:
maxresdefault.jpg

Also if i recall you play as some random guy who is also a red haired swordsman called Abel Renford to protect the Esteria Kingdom from the Romun Empire, haven't played it, but i hear it's pretty damn slow and boring, and i am not sure if it even sold well or is canon.

Otherwise, it's always Adol(or in the case of Ys Origin, someone else) saving the day solo till Ys 7, even the silly spin-off typing game:
maxresdefault.jpg

Has Adol doing everything by himself...and yes, there is a Ys typing game, actually just a freebie for another game made by Falcom, Zwei(a series with two games, both of which got translated in recent years and sold in places like Steam, a series where you only get experience and level up...by eating food, with thus finding ingredients and cooking to make better dishes to get more EXP becoming essential) but people have managed to share the game and Falcom never complained as far as i know, it's called Ys Typing Tutor and it's freeware...in case someone for some reason wants to play this.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Holy fuck, that vampire boss in Ys Chronicles+ was insane. The amount of luck required to beat it was absurd.

Jinn

Arcane
To anyone who wants a decent challenge in Ys VIII, you need to have difficulty set to Nightmare. Ys VIII Hard is basically the equivalent of Normal.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Fighting the bosses in Ys 8 just isn't fun, sadly. The only thing that matters is timing your parry over and over again so you can spend the whole fight being invincible.

Ysaye

Arbiter
Also, like it has been said, Ys 7 was the first game to have any kind of party and it's clearly the game that came before the rest, it's the weakest entry from 7 onwards, if anyone picks it up after playing Celceta, 8 or 9, it's still a decent game, but they were trying new stuff out, like it's been said, everything before Ys 7 has Adol being an one man army slashing everything to oblivion.

I mean, aside from that strategy spin-off for Nintendo DS...
Has Adol doing everything by himself...and yes, there is a Ys typing game, actually just a freebie for another game made by Falcom, Zwei(a series with two games, both of which got translated in recent years and sold in places like Steam, a series where you only get experience and level up...by eating food, with thus finding ingredients and cooking to make better dishes to get more EXP becoming essential) but people have managed to share the game and Falcom never complained as far as i know, it's called Ys Typing Tutor and it's freeware...in case someone for some reason wants to play this.

Technically speaking there is a section in Ark of Napishtim where you have Terra (with really poor AI) helping you out trying to rescue a certain character on a Romun boat.

Also Feena follows you around for a bit in Ys 1 as does Elena in Felghana; they don't help out but you can "measure" their dimensions whilst they are with you (There is some artwork with Elena with her brother's sword but it never happens in the story - maybe in a remake someday?).

Silentstorm

Learned
Holy fuck, that vampire boss in Ys Chronicles+ was insane. The amount of luck required to beat it was absurd.
The one that transforms into bats?

If so, it's just kinda annoying having to wait for the guy to form, but didn't think it was that bad, that's actually what i mostly felt about bosses in the two Ys Chronicles games, except for Dark Fact because he's an asshole.

Bosses aren't hard, just gimmicky and time wasting once you know what to do for the most part, but yeah, not the best bosses in a game or the franchise in general.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
The one that transforms into bats?

If so, it's just kinda annoying having to wait for the guy to form, but didn't think it was that bad, that's actually what i mostly felt about bosses in the two Ys Chronicles games, except for Dark Fact because he's an asshole.

Bosses aren't hard, just gimmicky and time wasting once you know what to do for the most part, but yeah, not the best bosses in a game or the franchise in general.

Yep. The other bosses are really simple to beat, but here the strategy relies a lot on luck, i.e. hope that the vampire transforms regularly and that the bats don't open up too much when they are following you into a corner. The mantis in particular was fairly easy compared to what I remember it being in Ys I & II, but it's probably because I already knew the strategy and so.

I really like the overhaul of Darm Tower's rings.

Ys-Book-I-II-USA-Rev-2-200128-164031.png

Ys-I-10.png

It's far more interesting visually, with time passing as you climb up the tower as well as the rings being half as short (it was maddening how long they were in the TCD release).

Last edited:

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
I beat Dark Fact!
:dance:
It took me about an hour, but the best thing about it is that I never felt upset at dying.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
I dropped the ball on uploading my Ys I& II, III and IV (MotS and DoS) pics. So I'm going to start doing just that. I'll post them here since I know they will be better appreciated.

Ys-Book-I-II-USA-Rev-2-200201-222045.png

Ys-Book-I-II-USA-Rev-2-200201-222455.png

Ys-Book-I-II-USA-Rev-2-200202-000359.png

Ys-Book-I-II-USA-Rev-2-200202-234557.png

Ys-Book-I-II-USA-Rev-2-200203-004808.png

Ys-Book-I-II-USA-Rev-2-200203-171944.png

Ys-Book-I-II-USA-Rev-2-200203-172020.png

Ys-Book-I-II-USA-Rev-2-200203-184657.png
Ys-Book-I-II-USA-Rev-2-200203-185231.png

Ys-Book-I-II-USA-Rev-2-200203-185250.png

Ys-Book-I-II-USA-Rev-2-200203-185339.png

Ys-Book-I-II-USA-Rev-2-200203-185733.png
Ys-Book-I-II-USA-Rev-2-200203-185801.png

Sigourn

uooh afficionado

Finished Ys III imagedump.
Not only did the voice acting sucked, but the lack of subtitles meant that some really nice dialogue is missing from the screenshots. A true loss.

Guygrim

Novice
Ys 3 on PC88 is actually the best version it's night and day. If you can figure out how to emulate it I highly recommend it.

It's the original and the only one created by Falcom since all the ports were done by other companies and it really shows.

All the issues I had on the ports weren't found on the PC88. Great hitboxes, nice difficulty curve, graphics use dithering which give the game a pretty sweet style and some scenes have amazing effects and background scrolling, oh and the music is sick. Probably the biggest difference is when you kill enemies... they die. You can keep running through the dungeon without worrying about enemies active frames after their dead from hurting you like the ports do. The gameplay is tight, make sure to play at 8mhz.

It's a shame the ports were such trash which gave the game it's reputation but I guess an honorable mention goes to the genesis version for being the best of the bad ports.

Last edited:

AArmanFV

Arbiter
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Ys 3 was the only one I never finished in PC-88, maybe I should give it another chance after I'm done with my M&M playthrough.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Ys 3 on PC88 is actually the best version it's night and day. If you can figure out how to emulate it I highly recommend it.

It's in Japanese, so... I'm not learning Japanese. :P Anyhow I'll rack in the positive ratings and tomorrow I'll dump Mask of Ys. And then Dawn of Ys.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom