Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress [LP CYOA] Tower

Baltika9

Arcane
My spirits high and my intent friendly,
I now commence to shill intently
For our Sylvan Knyght named Wrinkly.

And for him to bear a Shield, unlike brave Roland,
Who, for all his might and cunning, perished
At Roncevaux.
Chaucer said:
A KNYGHT ther was, and that a worthy man,
That fro the tyme that he first bigan

To riden out, he loved chivalrie,
Trouthe and honour, fredom and curteisie.
Ful worthy was he in his lordes werre,
And therto hadde he riden, no man ferre,
As wel in cristendom as in hethenesse,

And evere honoured for his worthynesse.
At Alisaundre he was, whan it was wonne.
Ful ofte tyme he hadde the bord bigonne
Aboven alle nacions in Pruce;
In Lettow hadde he reysed, and in Ruce,

No Cristen man so ofte of his degree.
In Gernade at the seege eek hadde he be
Of Algezir, and riden in Belmarye.
At Lyeys was he and at Satalye,
Whan they were wonne; and in the Grete See

At many a noble armee hadde he be.
At mortal batailles hadde he been fiftene,
And foughten for oure feith at Tramyssene
In lystes thries, and ay slayn his foo.
This ilke worthy knyght hadde been also

Somtyme with the lord of Palatye
Agayn another hethen in Turkye.
And everemoore he hadde a sovereyn prys;
And though that he were worthy, he was wys,
And of his port as meeke as is a mayde.

He nevere yet no vileynye ne sayde
In al his lyf unto no maner wight.
He was a verray, parfit gentil knyght.
But, for to tellen yow of his array,
His hors were goode, but he was nat gay.

Of fustian he wered a gypon
Al bismotered with his habergeoun,
For he was late ycome from his viage,
And wente for to doon his pilgrymage.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Damn... I would flop to C just so I could vote B again. This thread needs more poetry.
[...]
Gotta admit, I was half-expecting for there to be a twist about Poland. :oops:

Baltika9

Arcane
[...]
Gotta admit, I was half-expecting for there to be a twist about Poland. :oops:
The very thought of such a limerick
staining my flawless prose,
Fills me with disgust, like staring at the toes
Of a hermit from the swamp,
His feet blister'd and decay'd.

To compare the brave paladin Roland,
Peer to Charles,
King to Franks and Emperor to Romans,​
To the tough and dogged Poland,
Is too simple an analogy.
It poses not a challenge to my mastery​
Of wit and rhyme and the English tongue.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I wouldn't even call it "shitty options"? It's just the options people naturally want to take. If they don't mesh well with a certain build and powerset, well... that's one more angle to consider.
Yes, that's what I meant, thanks for expressing it.

Whatever, not really any shilling that can be done. I say we vote C since I think it'd be a cooler play style than B, and it meshes better with us being a Hunter. Baltika9 You were up for going with A because you wanted to stay through to the hunter theme, and hunt down our enemies and prey. But a hunter doesn't charge the bear in the woods with a spear, he stays back and stalks his prey for days and sometimes even weeks, waiting for the perfect opportunity before closing the trap he's set up and ending its life.

Regardless, I won't be too mad about B either. I originally was in favor of B before flopping, so it's not like I don't get the appeal. As long as it's not A I'm fine.

Baltika9

Arcane
Baltika9 You were up for going with A because you wanted to stay through to the hunter theme, and hunt down our enemies and prey. But a hunter doesn't charge the bear in the woods with a spear, he stays back and stalks his prey for days and sometimes even weeks, waiting for the perfect opportunity before closing the trap he's set up and ending its life.
But to hunt the greatest prey,
From the beast Uridimmu to the lowly knave,
No greater tool can we desire
Than a Shield, to protect our loves from their ire,
While we stalk all places, high and low,
In search of the most deadly foe.

Stealth and guile were once my desire,
Now I see that we must walk
The righteous path of chivalrie.

Last edited:

ChumBucket

Augur
You guys better make up you minds soon, or this lurker will break it. And hopefully not doom you to another sphere diplomacy. :troll:

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
You guys better make up you minds soon, or this lurker will break it. And hopefully not doom you to another sphere diplomacy. :troll:

What was sphere diplomacy again? (I know it's from of the older CYOAs from Treave, but I haven't read all of them)

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
There once was a god so polite
That he never started a fight.
He saw a nice Sphere,
Greeted it without fear...
In hindsight he wasn't too bright.

Sorry, that's all I have. I am not Baltika, so I will link you to the relevant update.
It's used to refer to attempting negotiations with a power that is not inclined to such actions, either due to having incomprehensible motives, or being so powerful that it can straight out bypass talks. Which was why the latest diplomatic fiasco with John Bull drew unfavorable comparisons.

The PRAY votes are memetic because they often seem like attempts to engage in diplomacy with gods, powerful entities we understand very little about.

You guys better make up you minds soon, or this lurker will break it.
By all means? We are in a deadlock, and no one seems to be swaying to the other side, so an extra vote would be welcome.
At this point I just want my next fix... :negative:

Last edited:

Baltika9

Arcane
There once was a god so polite
That he never started a fight.
He saw a nice Sphere,
Greeted it without fear...
In hindsight he wasn't too bright.

Sorry, that's all I have. I am not Baltika, so I will link you to the relevant update.

:greatjob:
I'm not that good myself, so no big deal. I was having a bit of fun and created entertainment for everyone in the process, hopefully. You're lucky I didn't start recounting the Song of Roland, or Beowulf in Early English, like my English teacher did. Or the Knight in the Panther's Skin in original Georgian, for that matter.

;)

Anyway, let's go B and become a true Knight in Shining Armor, bros.

:whiteknight:

Last edited:

a cut of domestic sheep prime

What was sphere diplomacy again? (I know it's from of the older CYOAs from Treave, but I haven't read all of them)
It was in Epic Book I.

We were an immortal being of nearly unchallengeable power and had a hot waifu to boot.

Then one day a strange hole opened up in the middle of our empire.

Being the intrepid adventurers we were, and also being an immortal with no fear of death, we (including me) decided to just jump in the damn thing and see what happened.

This turned out to be a very bad idea. Shocking, I know.

We found ourselves in a great void, and within that void, we saw a giant white sphere. And it seemed to be alive...and coming for us.

We had a choice: try to attempt a hopeless escape or try to talk to it, to reason with it.

Sphere Diplomacy.

*ahem*

Well, it turns out that talking wasn’t much of an option. Its level of intelligence basically amounted to that of a child. A cruel child with more power than a god.

It decided to torture us mentally and physically, and then kill us.

And since we were immortal, it did this repeatedly for quite a long time. 3000 years in fact.

By the time we got back, our empire was barely a memory and our waifu had been turned into a sword.

We’ve probably had worse punishments. We’ve outright lost most treave CYOA. But this was the first truly massive screw up with an equally large punishment, and probably the most spectacularly stupid choice on our part.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
The Black Pyramid of Uridimmu (II)

A silvery light floods your sight, radiating from the pendant in hand. It banishes the shadows from the furthest corners of the hall, scouring every inch of its nooks and crannies, so dazzling that it temporarily robs you of your sight. When your vision returns, blurry and uncertain, you blink away the afterglow. Darkness reclaims the hall. The girl is no longer anywhere to be seen… but the monster still remains. It growls, tongues of flame leaking from its mouth. Once more, lances of fire streak through the air, aiming for you.

This time, however, they splash harmlessly against a shimmering, translucent wall, manifesting just in front of you. Inviolable, immaculate, it stands tall as part of a larger ethereal fortress that fades in and out of sight, with you at its core. Emboldened, trusting in the defences left to you by the girl, you stand up just as straight and glare back at the demon.

Hm.

A slight hum of interest from the shadow, and it rises up, standing on its hind legs. Its wings spread out to the sides, causing a gale that scatters the bones and stirs up the dust – still, you do not feel even the slightest breeze.

Uncharacteristically robust for a human soul, but…

The purple eyes blaze with excitement. Reaching towards its chest, the shadow sinks in its claws, digging around with a bloody, squishy noise. From its own body, it tears out a gigantic spear, wicked and barbed, all black and red as if stained with the viscera of countless victims. With a short, sharp bark like a laugh, the spear is casually flung into an air. A deep violet glow wraps itself around the spear, and it is launched towards you at terrifying speed. With a tremendous impact that shakes the entire hall, the spear strikes true, hitting the wall. But instead of dissipating harmlessly like the flames, or bouncing off, it sticks in the translucent stones, hanging in mid-air. A crack spreads across the point of impact; the wall yet holds, but its invincibility is now called into question.

But, yet a fledgling with no measure of his own power.

The mirth in the shadow’s words ripple across your mind. It is correct, you are vaguely aware of the new Astra you have, but you have no idea how to use it properly. You do not even know how this wall was formed. But still, you do not doubt. This power was entrusted to you by the girl; that much you know. And so it must be enough to protect you. As if responding to your unwavering will, the wall shines, and the cracks vanish. The spear falls to the floor, clattering ominously.

Now, that is interesting indeed. Why do you not fall into fear and despair like the bug that you are? Shall we put your walls to the test and see just how much you can take?

You can hear squelching, ripping noises as countless spears begin forcing themselves out of the shadow, rising into the air and pointing towards you. Despite your previous confidence, you cannot help but hold your breath. Will your defences hold out? They have to – you have to believe that they will.

The monster laughs.

That indomitable look in your eyes… yes, you are indeed a proper human soul. If so, it would be a waste to break you here and now. I must savour the first offering to enter my domain after an eternity of solitude and hunger.

At his words, you become concerned if the nomadic ritual was not some trap to feed you to this beast. As if reading your mind, the shadow shakes with mirth.

Make no mistake, you came here on your own, pulled along by the bond you have to a fragment of mine. The rituals of the weaklings who yet unknowingly search for Kadath may have opened the way to the Dreamlands, but no other mortal has made it to my halls for millennia.

“What… are you?” you mutter.

The ancients named me Uridimmu, I who was born of our Great Mother. The magicians call upon mere pieces of mine and bestow upon them the name of Marchosias, deluding themselves into believing that they have truly tapped into my insight and power. But I am and always will be the Hound, the companion to the nightmares of Man, the whisperer of violence in your hearts, the mightiest of the eleven primordial demons. And you are…

Wrinkly. What an amusing name… and what an amusing fate.

You wonder to yourself, innocuously and with genuine curiosity, why he is trapped here all alone and hungry if he is so mighty. In response, the six eyes flash in anger, purple flames blazing to the ceiling.

INSOLENCE.

If he is going to get so angry, perhaps he should stop reading your mind.

You feel your body shaking all of a sudden; an unseen force is attempting to gently drag you up into the air. You stare accusingly at Uridimmu, but he just laughs, his anger having vanished as quickly as it came.

Your ritual is about to end, little human child.

With a sudden speed belying his size, he dashes forward, claws slamming against your protective wall, raking deep furrows into the stones. The wall creaks under the force but it remains firm… for now. Up close, the shadow stinks of beast and blood and death, and your torch is extinguished, leaving nothing but your glimmering ethereal protection and the six purple eyes glowing in the darkness above your head.

Let it not be said that I am an ungracious host. As a parting gift, here is a prophecy, some words of divine insight. You will be drawn into a dangerous path that is not of this world. Not of my world and not of yours. At that time, you will have no choice but to accept my aid in desperation.

You can see the first spear that Uridimmu hurled at you floating right above your head, glowing purple. Somehow, it made its way past the wall, past all your protections.

But if you grasp that spear now, you can overcome that future before it ever comes to pass.

Uridimmu grins; the pale glinting fangs are all you can see.

But I will not lie. You may have a different regret instead.

Faced with the Hound’s offer, you:

A. Take the spear and establish a contract. You do not fear the demon, and you have a feeling that his power will be needed if you ever cross paths with those like John Bull again.

B. Refuse to take the spear. Whatever happens, you will overcome it on your own, without resorting to any dallying with ancient gods or whatnot.​

He roars in laughter, tearing your fortress apart in a violent frenzy that threatens to collapse the great hall itself, as if demonstrating that it would have been possible for him at any moment. At the same time, you are pulled upwards quickly, swiftly, passing through the ceiling of the hall, through the stones of the giant pyramid, and find yourself floating in emptiness.

And here is one more helping hand for being an entertaining guest. You were not the only one that walked the paths of the subconscious, were you?

The voice of the Hound fades away, leaving you all alone.

In front of you, you can perceive three paths. You can feel that they each lead somewhere different; one returns you to the desert where the ritual began. One leads you to a large city, of the sort you have only read and heard about. And the last leads to a mansion on windswept moors that looks like it would be inhabited by brooding noblemen and tearful ladies.

The Hound seems to have left you with some choices of a path to take, and you suspect that two of the paths will lead you to Sophie or Elizabeth:

A. You head back to the desert.

B. You head to the large city.

C. You head to the mansion on the moors.​

Baltika9

Arcane
It seems that this time, the Sphere decided to engage in diplomacy with us. I don't want to come off as rude, but Uridimmu's offer is quite unsavory and vague.

BC, since I expect it to lead us to Sophie.

I am tempted to go for 1A for the lulz, ngl.
My spirits high and my intent friendly,
I now commence to shill intently
For our Sylvan Knyght named Wrinkly.

At Roncevaux.

Astral Amulet of Akasha (Aether, mutability)
Rank 1/9 - Manifests a small, unbreakable silver shield that can be controlled with the mind.
Thanks, treave.

:love:

Last edited:

Kipeci

Arcane
I think the city seems more likely to be Elizabeth, since her father’s the well-traveled merchant and all. Sophie seems more likely to get caught up in books like the manor setting.

Anyway, it’s my duty to oblige such friendly offers from nice primordial lords.

AC

Absinthe

Arcane
Well, for #2, C would definitely be Sophie with her fondness for Jane Austen novels.

ChumBucket

Augur
This update only makes me want to see the outcome of the A Choice from the previous update more. :argh:
BC for me.

Baltika9

Arcane
I knew accepting this side-quest was a good idea. We definitely need to tell Tlalli everything. The Society may be the only agency who can help us, and I suspect that Father Rasputin and Mr. Bull are some of the sorcerers that Uridimmu was talking about. Remember how Mr. Bull recognized our 'mark?'

There's definitely a strain of Lovecraft in this setting:
Make no mistake, you came here on your own, pulled along by the bond you have to a fragment of mine. The rituals of the weaklings who yet unknowingly search for Kadath may have opened the way to the Dreamlands, but no other mortal has made it to my halls for millennia.

Kadath and the Dreamlands may refer to a novella of Lovecraft's:

The Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath is a novella by American writer H. P. Lovecraft. Begun probably in the autumn of 1926, the draft was completed on January 22, 1927 and it remained unrevised and unpublished in his lifetime. It is both the longest of the stories that make up his Dream Cycle and the longest Lovecraft work to feature protagonist Randolph Carter. Along with his 1927 novel The Case of Charles Dexter Ward, it can be considered one of the significant achievements of that period of Lovecraft's writing. The Dream-Quest combines elements of horror and fantasy into an epic tale that illustrates the scope and wonder of humankind's ability to dream.

The story was published posthumously by Arkham House in 1943.[1] Currently, it is published by Ballantine Books in an anthology that also includes "The Silver Key" and "Through the Gates of the Silver Key". The definitive version, with corrected text by S. T. Joshi, is published by Arkham House in At the Mountains of Madness and Other Novels and by Penguin Classics in The Dreams in the Witch-House and Other Weird Stories.

===

Randolph Carter dreams of a majestic city but can not approach it. When he prays to the gods of dream to reveal the city's whereabouts, his dreams of the city stop altogether. Undaunted, Carter resolves to beseech the gods in person at Kadath. However, no one knows where that is. In dream, Carter consults priests in a temple that borders the Dreamlands. They warn Carter of great danger and suggest that the gods purposefully stopped his visions.

Carter's knowledge of Dreamlands customs and languages makes his quest comparatively less risky than if done by an amateur, but he must consult entities with a dangerous reputation. The Zoogs, a race of predatory rodents, direct him to Ulthar to find the priest Atal. In the cat-laden city of Ulthar, Atal mentions a huge mountainside carving of the gods' features. Carter realizes the gods' mortal descendants will share those features and presumably be near Kadath. While seeking passage there, Carter is kidnapped by turbaned slavers, who take him to the moon and deliver him to horrible moon-beasts, the servants of malevolent god Nyarlathotep. The cats of Ulthar, Carter's allies, rescue him and return him to a port city.

I say a strain of Lovecraft, because these Marchosias have the same name as one of the Marquises of Hell:
he ancients named me Uridimmu, I who was born of our Great Mother. The magicians call upon mere pieces of mine and bestow upon them the name of Marchosias, deluding themselves into believing that they have truly tapped into my insight and power. But I am and always will be the Hound, the companion to the nightmares of Man, the whisperer of violence in your hearts, the mightiest of the eleven primordial demons. And you are…

In demonology, Marchosias is a great and mighty Marquis of Hell, commanding thirty legions of demons. In the Ars Goetia, the first book of The Lesser Key of Solomon (17th century), he is depicted as a wolf with gryphon's wings and a serpent's tail, spewing fire from his mouth, but at the request of the magician he may take the form of a man. He is a strong fighter and gives true answers to all questions, and is very faithful to the magician in following his commands. Before his fall he belonged to the angelic order of Dominations (or Dominions), and when he was bound by Solomon he told him that after 1,200 years he hoped to return to Heaven ("unto the Seventh Throne").

In the Pseudomonarchia Daemonum (1577) of Johann Weyer the demon is called Marchocias and his description is much the same as that given in the Goetia except that his gender when appearing as a wolf is female ("a cruel she wolf") and spewing forth "I cannot tell what" from his mouth. He likewise hopes to eventually return to the Seventh Throne but is "deceived in that hope."

Collin de Plancy in his Dictionnaire Infernal (1818) draws on both sources for his description of Marchosias in his catalogue of demons.

The name Marchosias comes from Late Latin marchio, "marquis".

I have no clue who these eleven primordials are, or who this 'Great Mother' might be (Lilith?):
But I am and always will be the Hound, the companion to the nightmares of Man, the whisperer of violence in your hearts, the mightiest of the eleven primordial demons.

Lastly, I find it curious that he separates his world from ours, and states that the path we'll be drawn is 'not of this world, his or ours.'
Let it not be said that I am an ungracious host. As a parting gift, here is a prophecy, some words of divine insight. You will be drawn into a dangerous path that is not of this world. Not of my world and not of yours. At that time, you will have no choice but to accept my aid in desperation.
What world, then? Cthulhu? Aen Seidhe? Aliens?

Any thoughts?

Last edited:

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
Kadath :love:

most interesting update

so our leg wound still contains a fragment of the lesser demon and led us here to its big daddy?

and we could've had a nice stealth astra levelable up to an epic rank of 9, damn

Khorne's offer is tempting as a mad slayer would be FUN to play, but i don't suppose Wrinkly is the kind to be driven by demons just yet

and let's visit Liz in the big city

BB

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom