Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress [LP CYOA] Tower

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Sophie would have Uridimmu covering in a corner with but the name of our Lord and Savior, and Elizabeth would have told him off like a bad doggie he is.

...but yes, I am wondering what would have happened there. Would we pull them in the same dream, would their dream have Tentacle Nazguls, would they have us awaken different powers (although why would our Astra respond to them)?

I assume it wouldn't have killed us, though.

Last edited:

Baltika9

Arcane
BUT what if this guy doesn't need to be our foe? What if we can claim souls for him in the real world, just as the Aztecs did for other creatures like him? (Not necessarily children's souls either, as we know that Aztecs sacrificed adults too.)

Also, cost benefit: we have a shield that's powerful, but a spear that's equally powerful would make us a complete warrior.

Come on, this doggy hasn't eaten for a thousand years. Let's go fetch him some treats! :shittydog:
I'll vote 1A if Uridimmu agrees to let us pet him and rub his belly.
:shittydog:

But seriously, I'd consider it if we didn't see one of his fragments trying to kill Rain. That's not a price I'm willing to pay.

Fr though, imagine if we went in caring about Elizabeth or Sophie, that would have been such a fucking let down. I think even going in not caring about anything would have been preferable, because at least we'd have gone down like a man.
We're approaching salinity levels that shouldn't be possible.
and give Rain headpats.
Hey! Keep it PG-13, this is a Christian server.
:rpgcodex:

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
Plus, if this Astra is the same spear as what this demon was launching at us, it's clear that it's not as powerful as our shield is, so we might as well focus on the astra we have, as it has all the benefit with none of the cost.
He could have shattered our shield at any time. He was just testing us.

Plus, the shield in the dream is likely stronger than it would be in the real world. IRL, we can only make a small shield, but in the dream, the shield is a fortress.
Plus, I just think getting such an OP weapon right off the bat will kill some of the tension, and hurl us towards the end game even faster. While I'm sure the end game will be fun, I prefer low level adventuring much more.
Eh. As we see with the shield on our stat sheet, we won't be able use it to its full potential right off the bat. So it isn't like we'll be overpowered. Plus, the cost will limit its use.

That said, yes, it will probably stunt our growth in other areas and relying on the strength of a potential foe would be bad.

BUT what if this guy doesn't need to be our foe? What if we can claim souls for him in the real world, just as the Aztecs did for other creatures like him? (Not necessarily children's souls either, as we know that Aztecs sacrificed adults too.)

Also, cost benefit: we have a shield that's powerful, but a spear that's equally powerful would make us a complete warrior.

Come on, this doggy hasn't eaten for a thousand years. Let's go fetch him some treats! :shittydog:
so let me get this straight:

- when offered a revolver by a cool grandma you thought it would be too dangerous as our 10yo char couldn't possibly find the Safety (TM) or would blow his brains out by accident (after shooting all of his friends of course), but

- when a dark god of violence offers that same character a cursed demonic spear guaranteed to further his own agenda first and foremost, that's not necessarily all that risky - we just need to reprogram it to feed on the souls it kills for us instead of our friends (and yes, not start a world war that will annihilate humanity) - how hard could it be?

:philosoraptor:

Nevill

Arcane
There's no safety on the spear. The logic seems legit.

Okay, but seriously, treave, I need to know what that rolleyeyes rating was for. I have absolutely no idea what thinking about Sophie, or Liz, or ourselves would have done for us considering we carry Rain's Astra with us, and it seems to have reacted to the presence of the girl in the dream. Did you give us a choice with 5 options, of which 4 would have lead to a dead end? If not, how would thinking about other characters be different?

Maybe it's too early to ask that before the dream is over, but the curiosity is killing me.

Last edited:

Baltika9

Arcane
I think the astra that the hound may be offering us is something like this.

Yes, there's a massive potential cost, but there may be a way we can sacrifice our enemies to empower it instead of ourselves.

And regardless, this is a supremely powerful astra from the look of things.

The nice puppy's offer reduces to one meta factor for me: in treave's LPs, divine beings are very rarely trustworthy and upfront about their motivations. Uridimmu's vagueness as to the stipulations of his contract suggest one of two possibilities: (1) the price is so high that no one in their right mind would accept it, or (2) the good boi doesn't know the full consequences of striking this deal with us.

But I will also say this: whatever the price, I think he will uphold his end of the bargain. Besides the fact that Marchiosias' mythology suggests complete honesty, I think that Uridimmu respects us... which might lend itself to a working relationship down the line.
:shittydog:

- when a dark god of violence offers that same character a cursed demonic spear guaranteed to further his own agenda first and foremost, that's not necessarily all that risky - we just need to reprogram it to feed on the souls it kills for us instead of our friends (and yes, not start a world war that will annihilate humanity) - how hard could it be?

Must... resist... Khorne's call!

a cut of domestic sheep prime

But seriously, I'd consider it if we didn't see one of his fragments trying to kill Rain. That's not a price I'm willing to pay.
You have to remember what he just told us.

Magicians summon his fragments to do THEIR bidding. He may not even have been aware of what it was doing back then.

so let me get this straight:

- when offered a revolver by a cool grandma you thought it would be too dangerous as our 10yo char couldn't possibly find the Safety (TM) or would blow his brains out by accident (after shooting all of his friends of course), but

Well, in fairness, we later found out that nothing bad would have happened with the gun.

So, correcting our past mistake, we’ll take one of the strongest weapons in the world, yes. :M

That besides, we have had fantastic track record with shady demonic creatures manifesting as weapons with us in treave CYOAs- recall Sekhenun as a sword? The Scholar of the Fist, Barbatos?
Yes, this was my thought too.

Plus, you have to consider that this guy has been alone for over a thousand years. Half the reason he didn’t kill us was probably because he’s getting a bit bored and lonely in there.

The doggy just wants a friend and you guys are being so cruel to him.

Baltika9

Arcane
===Tally===

==1st choice==
A (accept the spear) - 6

B (refuse the spear) - 14

C (ask the nice doggy permission to pet him :shittydog: ) - 2

==2nd choice==
A (You head back to the desert.) - 4

B (You head to the large city.) - 1

C (You head to the mansion on the moors.) - 14

Kipeci - AC
hello friend - AC
Lambchop19 - AC>BC
Absinthe - Ax
Orbit - AC
ChumBucket - AA

Egosphere - BA
ERYFKRAD - BC
Kz3r0 - BC
Azira - BC>BB
CappenVarra - BB
baud - BC
Tigranes - Bx
Nevill - BC
Kalarion - BC
Grimgravy - BA
oscar - BC
asxetos - Bx
Zerafall - BC
Life of the Party - BC

Baltika9 - CC
Nevill - CC

===

Lambchop19, you're nuts, bro.

:lol:

And yet, I'm tempted to go 1A because I really doubt that a creature of his caliber would offer to help us (and that's exactly what this is about) without good reason. And the introduction to this LP is titled 'A Fated Encounter,' but whom were we fated to encounter: Rain, or the Marchosias?

Also, Uridimmu intrigues me: what's his backstory, how did he come to be imprisoned, is the Marchosias we defeated now trapped within us? Can we free it?

However, I doubt that we can LARP Galahad if we agree to ally ourselves with an obviously evil entity.

Last edited:

And yet, I'm tempted to go 1A because I really doubt that a creature of his caliber would offer to help us (and that's exactly what this is about) without good reason. And the introduction to this LP is titled 'A Fated Encounter,' but whom were we fated to encounter: Rain, or the Marchosias?
Well, if we go by what he said, we will have to meet him and make a pact with him in the future. However, this appears to be a way to skip ahead. Albeit at some sort of great cost.

Perhaps that cost can be mitigated if we don’t use his power often. Perhaps we can give some sort of other sacrifice or even befriend him the way we befriended Sek in Epic. We have a pretty good track record with tentacle monsters after all.

That said, is what he is offering really a good deal? He said that our fate would lead us to another world and that his power would allow us to avoid that fate, but is it even a good idea to avoid it?

He is at least honest with us that there is a negative, and I get the feeling he could have killed us at any time had he wished to.

Perhaps he truly sees something in the future he wishes to help us to avoid, yet he knows that doing so will also cost us.

Regardless of what we choose here, I think we will meet him again. The question is: will we regret not taking his offer?

Also, Uridimmu intrigues me: what's his backstory, how did he come to be imprisoned, is the Marchosias we defeated now trapped within us and can we free it? However, I doubt that we can LARP Galahad if we agree to ally ourselves with an obviously evil entity.
I never wanted to larp Galahad. We can be a murder hobo and still save people.

Baltika9

Arcane
Regardless of what we choose here, I think we will meet him again. The question is: will we regret not taking his offer?
He certainly seems to think so:
Let it not be said that I am an ungracious host. As a parting gift, here is a prophecy, some words of divine insight. You will be drawn into a dangerous path that is not of this world. Not of my world and not of yours. At that time, you will have no choice but to accept my aid in desperation.

You can see the first spear that Uridimmu hurled at you floating right above your head, glowing purple. Somehow, it made its way past the wall, past all your protections.

But if you grasp that spear now, you can overcome that future before it ever comes to pass.
And I want to correct you: he's not saying that we will be drawn to another world, but that we'll be drawn into a dangerous path, which may mean that we'll battle otherworldly entities (aliens?). Or maybe we'll get drawn into the intrigues of the Elves. Or any number of other things.

It could also be the case that the incredibly nice, flesh-eating puppy is lying to us by omission and misrepresenting the truth so that we willingly take a bad deal, or a deal that benefits him much more than it benefits us.

Considering that we're a 10-year old boy who knows nothing of Uridimmu, his goals or his motivations, I think it is wise to let this sleeping dog lie, if only for a bit longer. We can get some more ayahuasca later if we decide to bargain with him.
;)

I never wanted to larp Galahad. We can be a murder hobo and still save people.
I do.

:rpgcodex:

Tigranes

Arcane
Bx. Its too early to derail this cyoa. I bet we will have numerous opportunities in the future.

This. I want this one to go on and have a reasonably successful career like Jing or Ean. Would they have randomly signed a blood pact giving their soul away to a demon when not in any immediate need / danger, only as a 'just in case I need it later' deal?

Nevill

Arcane
And I want to correct you: he's not saying that we will be drawn to another world, but that we'll be drawn into a dangerous path, which may mean that we'll battle otherworldly entities (aliens?). Or maybe we'll get drawn into the intrigues of the Elves. Or any number of other things.
I am afraid I do not even understand the deal as offered.

We are warned off about a certain fate. What is this fate, and what is so terrible about it? Is it that we'd be drawn into a dangerous path? We knew that, and there were at least a couple of points in the CYOA where we could have died; we haven't even begun and our path is plenty dangerous already.

Is the terrible part that we'd be forced "to accept his aid in desperation"? So wait, is our way of avoiding that fate to accept his aid when we are in no desperation whatsoever? What?

All I am seeing is a powerful artifact and no clear reason why it is offered and what future it is supposed to save us from. Only that we'd regret it either way. But that's just wordplay; even though you would regret the loss of a finger and the loss of an arm, you would likely feel one more than the other. Or not feel one. Anyway, before it gets away from me even further!

It's just poor business sense to make deals when you have no idea what is on the scales.

Last edited:

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
the simplest explanation i can think of is that the unknown danger lurks at tower level 100 and taking up the spear of apocalypse will ensure it won't ever happen due to a much earlier doom

:M

Orbit

Scholar
I go with AC. Since we probably have to kill the gods at Kadath at one point or another that oversized tooth pick will come in handy. Anyone up for the PRAY option after this?

Baltika9

Arcane
Pussies

Real men agree to contracts without reading the terms

In fact

Real men can't read
These words make me angry. I will flop to AC to prove that I'm a real man. Someone needs to fill in for Esquilax.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom