Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The PS5 and Xbox 2 thread - it's happening

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
That guy said 5-6 years. That's a lot of time.

I'm not a dev/programmer myself so I can't make in-depth commentaries, but I'm seeing a lot of devs talking about how PS5's architeture and SSD are a big step forward in the industry as a whole, technologically speaking.

One good thing out of this that is certain though, is that nvme PCI-e SSDs prices are gonna drop.

1 year I could buy, maybe, 5-6 years, lol no

soulburner

Cipher
PCI-Express 4.0 is still a new thing on PC and it's supported by only one high end desktop chipset at the moment. When even the most budget motherboards will have it and the standard will become widespread, SSD manufacturers will start releasing shit that's crazy fast. And PCI-Express 5.0 is just around the corner.

Consoles always offered lower latencies than the PC - it's not a new thing that only happens with this next generation. The other thing that was always true is that the PC with all its latencies, hardware abstraction layers and shit always reached and overtook the consoles' performance in a relatively short period of time.

The PC users will get faster & cheaper PCI-Express 4.0 nvme SSDs, RDNA2 graphic cards and Nvidia Ampere will arrive on store shelves within a few months, Zen 3 CPUs also release this fall (and AMD claims it should be considered a new architecture instead of an extension of Zen 2). I believe upgrading the PC as early as next spring will make the console hardware become not impressive.

abija

Prophet
A game that needs SSD streaming during a single scene will take more time to download than play... The feature is clearly aimed at CGI industry.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
What does it matter when all Next-gen games using Nanite are boring AAA-Open world garbage requiring 500 artists. I'll stick with my indie games using "normie" graphics, thank you.

Finding tech which reduces the number of artists required is the new frontier in development. Photogrammetry, Quixel Megascans etc. are first steps.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
The main reason I don't think there is anything more to Unreal 5 Nanite than a pretty video clip - how many studios can actually afford to produce such assets? Dice/EA, Rockstar, Activision? CDPR maybe?

Kem0sabe

Arcane
It's either reduce development cost/time or increase game prices. There's already talk about raising game prices to 80 euros for consoles.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
What does it matter when all Next-gen games using Nanite are boring AAA-Open world garbage requiring 500 artists. I'll stick with my indie games using "normie" graphics, thank you.

Photogrammetry, Quixel Megascans etc. are first steps.

When I read that, I immediately think of "Worse Level design".

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
PCI-Express 4.0 is still a new thing on PC and it's supported by only one high end desktop chipset at the moment. When even the most budget motherboards will have it and the standard will become widespread, SSD manufacturers will start releasing shit that's crazy fast. And PCI-Express 5.0 is just around the corner.

Consoles always offered lower latencies than the PC - it's not a new thing that only happens with this next generation. The other thing that was always true is that the PC with all its latencies, hardware abstraction layers and shit always reached and overtook the consoles' performance in a relatively short period of time.

The PC users will get faster & cheaper PCI-Express 4.0 nvme SSDs, RDNA2 graphic cards and Nvidia Ampere will arrive on store shelves within a few months, Zen 3 CPUs also release this fall (and AMD claims it should be considered a new architecture instead of an extension of Zen 2). I believe upgrading the PC as early as next spring will make the console hardware become not impressive.

This is all very true, but it's also very true that many will not upgrade for quite a long time. Hell, I still get "fake news" labels half the time here when I say an SSD in general is a must have nowadays. It'll be a long time until an SSD like PS5's is minimum spec for PC game releases, and yet it'll be standard in every PS5. The ramifications of this I couldn't tell ya, but considering PC has a ton of market share now (and Xbox to an extent, since its SSD won't be as amazing), I'd guess it means only Sony developed exclusives will use it to its fullest extent for a good while.

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I have a 500gb nvme with same speed as the new xbox since 2017 and it was not even expensive to buy at that time. People's babbling about the ps5 ssd are falling for the hype of something that was new 5 years ago. Loading assets as you move is not something that exciting anyway, game design is so primitive and dulled for the drooling masses that even if they make it standard for every game we will not see anything interesting.

Last edited:

abija

Prophet
I have a 500gb nvme with same speed as the new xbox since 2017 and it was not even expensive to buy at that time. People's babbling about the ps5 ssd are falling for the hype of something that was new 5 years ago. Loading assets as you move is not something that exciting anyway, game design is so primitive and dulled for the drooling masses that even if they make it standard for every game we will not see anything interesting.
What is showcased in that demo is streaming from ssd during the rendering of a single frame. And the chance of your ssd being that fast is about the same as that tech having a meaningful use in games in PS5's lifespan.

soulburner

Cipher
There currently is no SSD on the market that is as fast as the PS5 one is promising to be. Sure, you can get a hyper expensive PCI-Express card with several NVME disks stuck together, maybe offering even higher transfer speeds, but... it's expensive as fuck and thus should be considered as "not available". But, as I said, more middle and low end motherboards will get PCI-Express 4.0 later this year, so the standard will become more and more popular within the coming months and SSD manufacturers will be happy to release more nvme disks that can utilize this (because more people will be able to use them to their full potential - there's no reason to release an ultra fast SSD series right now when only high end Ryzen and Threadripper systems can utilize them).

The Xbox will have a slightly slower SSD than the PS5 but there's a big emphasis on it there, too. What's interesting is that Microsoft plans to release one of its software subsystems, DirectStorage, for the Windows PC. It's a new I/O system that promises to offer much lower latency and CPU overhead and will use some new method of hardware data (de)compression, but the details seem to be a bit scarse.

These may be interesting times for all hardware enthusiasts and both PC & console gamers.

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Lots of hype about that magical SSD, I'll believe it when i see it.
You can load some games into RAM and still nobody makes a big fuss about it. And all of a sudden there comes this super duper magic item that will blow gaming into outer space in a $500 machine.
Get real.

Anyhow, I hope Sony fuckers show more "gameplay" this time around if they learned anything from Microsofts fuckup last month.
Also, fuck Horizon Zero Dawn fans. Dont think I've seen so much hype around a mediocre game in my life.

Slaver1

Savant
Specs aside, these closed boxes are increasingly useless, imo. Only way I'd buy a PS5 is second-hand if Persona 6 was out and actually worthy of the hype.

soulburner

Cipher
Lots of hype about that magical SSD, I'll believe it when i see it.
You can load some games into RAM and still nobody makes a big fuss about it. And all of a sudden there comes this super duper magic item that will blow gaming into outer space in a $500 machine.
Get real.
Well, try fitting RDR2 into your RAM then :)

Anyhow, I hope Sony fuckers show more "gameplay" this time around (...)
Yeah, I bet this ain't gonna happen and we will get a "Cinematic running in engine. Pre-release material subject to change" in the corner ;)

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
There currently is no SSD on the market that is as fast as the PS5 one is promising to be. Sure, you can get a hyper expensive PCI-Express card with several NVME disks stuck together, maybe offering even higher transfer speeds, but... it's expensive as fuck and thus should be considered as "not available". But, as I said, more middle and low end motherboards will get PCI-Express 4.0 later this year, so the standard will become more and more popular within the coming months and SSD manufacturers will be happy to release more nvme disks that can utilize this (because more people will be able to use them to their full potential - there's no reason to release an ultra fast SSD series right now when only high end Ryzen and Threadripper systems can utilize them).

Again though, there's a difference between "available on PC" and actually used by a good percentage of PC gamers. The PS5 will presumably be the best selling console by a wide margin if they follow the PS4's lead, and it will have this kind of speedy SSD standard in every box. That's a lot different from PC gamers slowly getting them over a long stretch of time the next handful of years. However my point isn't that PC is fucked or whatever, it's more that I doubt this hardware is well used on anything multiplatform.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I have set up an alarm on my phone to dig up this thread in 7 years and remind you about the revolutionary stuff some were expecting when we are just playing more corridor shooters and empty AAA shit.

soulburner

Cipher
Again though, there's a difference between "available on PC" and actually used by a good percentage of PC gamers. The PS5 will presumably be the best selling console by a wide margin if they follow the PS4's lead, and it will have this kind of speedy SSD standard in every box. That's a lot different from PC gamers slowly getting them over a long stretch of time the next handful of years. However my point isn't that PC is fucked or whatever, it's more that I doubt this hardware is well used on anything multiplatform.

You are right, of course. People won't suddenly invade the stores to buy new storage when they show up. However, if PS5 is popular, and there is no reason to suspect otherwise, then SSD manufacturers will do what they can to compete. It may take a while, but will happen. PC enthusiast forums will be full of suggestions to upgrade the SSD when games start to stutter on gamers' rigs. One more thing: the Xbox's SSD is going to be slower than what the PS5 will offer but thanks to DirectStorage, which will be ported to Windows even SATA3 SSDs may get enough of a performance boost (much lower CPU overhead when accessing lots of data, not the amount of MB transferred per sec) to remain relevant for some time.

We'll see how it goes. Awaiting further data :)

Kem0sabe

Arcane

Tehdagah

Arcane
https://www.hotukdeals.com/discussions/ps5-price-leak-on-amazon-2tb-3482477

£600 notes. £70 games as well.

If it's genuine Cerny has pulled a Ken kKutaragi.
There won't be a 2tb storage ps5. Sony has stated that the 800 and so GB drive is the limit presently and bigger ssds with their tech will only be available later. Unless they are going with an apple style hybrid drive, but unlikely, as it would defeat purpose of it.
Well this sucks, 1tb HD wasn't enough for the PS4.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom