Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Top 20 selling PC games of 2008

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
<a href="http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/44015/Top-20-Best-Selling-PC-Games-of-2008">From ve3d courtesy of NPD</a>:
<blockquote>1. World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King
2. Spore
3. World of Warcraft: Battle Chest
4. Age of Conan: Hyborian Adventures
5. Warhammer Online: Age Of Reckoning
6. Call Of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
7. The Sims 2 Double Deluxe
8. World Of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King Collector's Ed
<b>9. Fallout 3</b>
10. World Of Warcraft: The Burning Crusade
11. Call Of Duty: World At War
12. The Sims 2 FreeTime
13. World Of Warcraft
14. Sins Of A Solar Empire
15. Warcraft III Battle Chest
16. The Sims 2 Apartment Life
17. Crysis
18. Left 4 Dead
19. Diablo Battle Chest
20. The Orange Box</blockquote>
Can you say MMO?

Spotted @ <a href="http://www.rpgwatch.com">If I bothered checking Saint's e-mail, I wouldn't need to do this</a>

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
So WoW took 5 of the top 20 spots, and the WCIII and Diablo II battlechests also sold well.

And apparently everything outsold SoZ.

Mister Arkham

Scholar
I'm more surprised to see two Sims 2 titles on there than anything... I didn't know that they even still made expansions for that, much less had an audience for them.

I'm a bit pissed that they counted the standard Wrath of the Lich King and the Collector's Edition as separate titles, but bitching any more about that home-wrecker of a game is pointless.

As for SoZ not making the list... It's a bit sad, but not really surprising. I can't really say how much of a solid audience there was for a second NWN2 expansion, and it was released in, what? Late November? Early December? Not the kind of thing that would have huge initial sales.

poocolator

Erudite
The Order of Discalced Codexian Convulsionists
Sims 2 is huge with stay-at-home moms and the like. Of course they're going to keep milking the current iteration of the SIMS for what it's worth by releasing countless expansion packs. They've done it before and it worked fabulously for them. I just wonder whether Sims 3 is going to ship with the same content found in the Sims 2 expansion packs, or whether they'll start from scratch, those fuckers.

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
poocolator said:
Sims 2 is huge with stay-at-home moms and the like. Of course they're going to keep milking the current iteration of the SIMS for what it's worth by releasing countless expansion packs. They've done it before and it worked fabulously for them. I just wonder whether Sims 3 is going to ship with the same content found in the Sims 2 expansion packs, or whether they'll start from scratch, those fuckers.

They'll start from scratch, as the did for Sims 2.

vrok

Liturgist
Piracy totally killed CoD4 and Crysis US retail sales, no doubt.

hiver

Crysis was pirated more because it is a better game. The list clearly shows thart.

MetalCraze

Arcane
SoaSE outsold Crysis and I don't see Ass Effect - yes definitely a piracy - our securoms help us sell more.

doctor_kaz

Scholar
Crysis was released in November of 2007, so it's not much of a fair fight for that game.

SoaSE being in the top 15 though is a nice accomplishment. It probably looks even better when you add in on-line and overseas sales. This is just North American retail.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Still the fact that non-DRM niche game outsold heavily DRM'ed mainstream shooters released this year on PC like Mass Effect (even much hyped L4D for that matter) says many things. And especially if you will compare budgets.

Nobody will get a clue though.

hiver

Would be interesting to see figures for Europe if there is any.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Still the fact that non-DRM niche game outsold heavily DRM'ed mainstream shooters released this year on PC like Mass Effect (even much hyped L4D for that matter) says many things. And especially if you will compare budgets."

ME PC's budget was likely veyr low, and it had alreayd sold a bundle on the 360 already. ME PC didn't even get television ads unlike ME XBOX 360. What a douche, you are.

MetalCraze

Arcane
And SoaSE was all about TV ads.

Which kinda says that your ME is nothing without hype. That's why it tanked on PC (thankfully).

Silellak

Cipher
I am surprised and impressed that SoaSE sold as well as it did.

Hopefully this will make ignorant publishers rethink their approach to DRM, but I highly doubt it.

Also, fucking MMOs. Christ. No wonder so many PC exclusives these days are in that God-forsaken genre.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"Which kinda says that your ME is nothing without hype. That's why it tanked on PC (thankfully)."

First off, there is no evidence that it 'tanked'. Just ebcause it's not in the top 20 doesn't mean it did espicially considering the top 20 are mostly MMORPGs and Sims neither of which ME is.

On top of that, ME had already sold a lot on the 360 so most of the people who wnated to play ME already did so so didn't need to buy it for PC even if they own a PC. I know I didn't.

Dumbass.

MetalCraze

Arcane
I doubt every PC owner owns suxbawks. In fact I think only the lesser part does. Also "MMOs" are taking only 5 positions, being WOW, while other games are pretty much single-player.

Pliskin

Arbiter
Spore at #2?

Really?

I guess hype (errrr, advertising) does pay off in the end.

Tho, I'd be interested in seeing a modified list that shows Top Selling games of 2008, adjusted for advertising budget.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"I doubt every PC owner owns suxbawks."

I bet most of the people who own aPC who were inetrested in ME probably do own a xbo 360, or went out and got one. The exception being the Codex who probably covered have of ME PC's PC sales. HAHAHA

"In fact I think only the lesser part does."

Yeah, the greater PC owners prefer games like Morrowind or POR2. Sorry, the smart people prefer console games than those PC exclusives. R00fles!

"Also "MMOs" are taking only 5 positions, being WOW, while other games are pretty much single-player."

K, good point here. Of course, most of the other games are either PC exclusive (ie. if you wnat them you need a PC so there's no double dipping) or games based on very popualr series, or war games.

BIO is nowhere the most popular developer. Never have been, never will be.

Again, ME PC was sloppy seconds of a 1 year old game that alreayd had a limited audience.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Except ME was advertised not just by anyone, but by EA.

Sorry, the smart people prefer console games than those PC exclusives.

Prefering console games over PC ones means the contrary.

R00fles!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom