Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Dragon Age: Inquisition Thread

Knights of the Chalice looks like Tibia ffs, DA was GOTY because it had no competition, doesn't mean anything. If Demon's Souls wasn't a console exclusive it would've obliterated DA:O.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
I'll say one thing in favor of DA:O, it did a pretty good crapsack fantasy world. Sure, its basically A Song of Fire and Ice set in high fantasy, but it had (still does?) no competition in that regard. Otherwise it was decline. The sequels can't even be bothered to remain internally consistent about that shit.
Also, was Divinity 2 considered worse than DA:O? Because I'm seeing that it was released that year.

This guy calls himself a rock and claims that game cannot be beautiful without a good story, what do you expect from him?
I wasn't a fan of the collectibles at all, but they're almost completely optional. On the other hand, give me Inquisition big and beautiful areas all day instead of Origins ugly ass corridors.
Inquisition is LIGHT YEARS ahead because Origins and 2 used a shitty ancient engine while Frostbite still is cutting edge in 2020 and was properly used, unlike ME Andromeda.
Are you being sarcastic? When did I call myself a rock? And when you shape your game around the story, the aesthetics have to be a match for the settings, not a mish mash of whatever that has been popular (or not, as DAI copies Amalur to a certain degree as well). And the only games in which fussshite is cutting edge, is Battlefields 4 through V, and even then there are some glaring issues that if CoD had, it would be torn apart by fans and haters alike; in every other game it's a technical mess that comes to a complete stop whenever there is the slightest issue with streaming, be it NFS The Run or, sadly, Mirror's Edge Catalyst, of course Bye-Over(sorry)'s downfall can't be downplayed to the engine only, but it hasn't helped any studio besides Dice.

If you ignore all the crafting, requisitions and whatnot then yes you do need to actually wait until you get enough power to do certain things. Still if you do the rifts, the camps, the companion quests and other things as you run into them you'll have more than enough.
We've clearly played different games, all those rifts and whatnot are just more boredom upon boredom.

Unrelated but Dragon Age 2 DLCs cost more than the game itself.. Why...
Maybe they put more effort into it than in the main game. Maybe they had to copy paste less.
There is some truth to this, the DLCs are short but look more unique.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
you have to realize that people were extremely starved for squad/team/party-based rpgs when origins came out.
it was like coming across a shitty oasis with murky water that tasted like shit in the desert. it was good but only because you were dying of thirst

also gothic-like fans were/are a minority in comparison to the rtwp gang

Daidre

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
also gothic-like fans were/are a minority in comparison to the rtwp gang
Imho it is not a quantity of the Gothic fans that were an issue in 2009, but how traumatic, for those fans, were transition from amazing Gothic 2 Night of the Raven to the horrible at release Gothic 3 that were patched to the playable (but still mediocre) game later. Could not talk for everyone of course, but for me it took years to give another PB game a chance after Gothic 3 fiasco.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
We've clearly played different games, all those rifts and whatnot are just more boredom upon boredom.

You said that if you ignore half the MMO bullshit you won't have enough power, I'm telling you that you will have plenty. Whether you find the other half of the MMO bullshit boring or not is irrelevant to the point being made. Yes, the game will require some MMO bullshit no matter what, that's how it was designed. You can limit it dramatically though, if you're not a completionist.

Not you, he's talking about the bloke named GreyWardens Rock .
How is that calling myself a rock?

You said that if you ignore half the MMO bullshit you won't have enough power, I'm telling you that you will have plenty. Whether you find the other half of the MMO bullshit boring or not is irrelevant to the point being made. Yes, the game will require some MMO bullshit no matter what, that's how it was designed. You can limit it dramatically though, if you're not a completionist.
I ignored most MMO crap and didn't have enough power, and rifts and other stuff you said would help get said power are boring as fuck and part of that MMO crap.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
I ignored most MMO crap and didn't have enough power, and rifts and other stuff you said would help get said power are boring as fuck and part of that MMO crap.
You can straight up buy both Power and Influence somewhat later on. I guess they were perfectly aware of the problem.

https://dragonage.fandom.com/wiki/Farris

Purchasing all of Farris's available contracts costs a total of 461650
. This procures 200 Power and 247500 Influence at an average ratio of 0.71 influence per 1

alyvain

Learned
You can straight up buy both Power and Influence somewhat later on. I guess they were perfectly aware of the problem.

Purchasing all of Farris's available contracts costs a total of 461650
. This procures 200 Power and 247500 Influence at an average ratio of 0.71 influence per 1

They should have asked for real money.

For MMO-authenticity.

He and those contracts are crap collectathon material as well, and I got so bored before even meeting this guy (which I don't remember) that I sought out cheats, found cheat engine, learned how to cheat, and felt way more accomplished than by doing any of Inquishit's crappy quests.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I beat the game with like 70 power left over and I skipped half the quests. Again, DA:I's quest design is what it is... no one is saying it's not MMO quest design bullshit. The only point being made is only completionists have to do all of it. You can skip tons of stuff. You can even skip entire zones if you want, and the final quest has a level recommendation of only 16 when the cap is 27. I was around level 20, again skipping half the bullshit. How long and drawn out the game and its MMO side content is depends entirely on how much you want to play all of it.

P.S. Doing the DLC now and it seems like this game is similar to DA2 where the DLC is the best stuff in it.

alyvain

Learned
P.S. Doing the DLC now and it seems like this game is similar to DA2 where the DLC is the best stuff in it.

Maybe I was just fed up with the game, but I didn't like any of DLC. The Descent was somewhat nice to play though, despite the fact how fucking stupid the big reveal was.

I'm not mentioning the reveal in the Tresspasser because simply no. That's the final stage of Bioware's narrative decay.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Maybe I was just fed up with the game, but I didn't like any of DLC. The Descent was somewhat nice to play though, despite the fact how fucking stupid the big reveal was.

I'm not mentioning the reveal in the Tresspasser because simply no. That's the final stage of Bioware's narrative decay.

Well I finished Hakkon and am halfway through Descent, so it sounds like what you hated is still ahead of me. We'll see. I like that the combat is tougher and more involved, and I like that Hakkon had more narrative and quest focus in its open area, while Descent is a nice and mostly linear dungeon crawl like DA2's Legacy.

I liked the main game, but it was already bloated and long enough for me for what the gameplay loop offers, so even if the DLC's are fine in a vacuum, i thought the game had overstayed its welcome by then and didn't need 30 more hours at all.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I liked the main game, but it was already bloated and long enough for me for what the gameplay loop offers, so even if the DLC's are fine in a vacuum, i thought the game had overstayed its welcome by then and didn't need 30 more hours at all.

I think that's certainly true of Hakkon, which is basically just another normal zone added to the game. Descent is a different experience though, much more linear and story driven, so I think it's probably worth playing even if you're sick of the normal gameplay. I hear the same is true of Trespasser. If you're the type to replay you could do different things each game, as like I said you only need to be level 16ish to finish it and I believe the DLC scales. So you could theoretically skip a ton of optional stuff in the original game and do the DLC instead? Except for Trespasser of course, which is an epilogue.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I'm not sure which twist you're referring to really alyvain, but yeah the ending of The Descent was pretty stupid story wise. Also geographically. Like damn. Gameplay wise though I think it was one of the better things in the entire game. Though the end boss does that stupid thing DA2 and DA:I often do where your companion placement is very important but you have no tools or AI to really manage where they go effectively. If you're embracing the "control only your PC, let the others be AI" concept then don't make the AI retarded enough to stand on a glowing trap.

alyvain

Learned
I'm not sure which twist you're referring to really alyvain, but yeah the ending of The Descent was pretty stupid story wise. Also geographically. Like damn. Gameplay wise though I think it was one of the better things in the entire game. Though the end boss does that stupid thing DA2 and DA:I often do where your companion placement is very important but you have no tools or AI to really manage where they go effectively. If you're embracing the "control only your PC, let the others be AI" concept then don't make the AI retarded enough to stand on a glowing trap.

Yes to everything you said about gameplay. That's exactly how I feel about the Descent, and what irritated me during the last boss.

And story-wise,
I was talking about the reveal, not a story twist. I mean the introduction of the titans when I was talking about the reveal. And the fact that lyrium is not only alive and can be tainted, as we've already learned during Varric's personal quest, but that it is the blood of the aforementioned titans as well. This information is presented to you in a swift motion, so I couldn't help myself but see it as some kind of retcon, because the whole new metaphysical entity is presented in a matter of minutes. Although the lyrium was already implied to be alive in DA: Origins, the whole "well, now look how the world really works" is pretty lame, like the stuff from the long-running TV-series when the writers had to produce new staff about the world just to keep the story going. The scene with "look this dwarf can do magic but DWARVES CANNOT DO MAGIC" was downright pointless because it was supposed to be weird and unnatural, but the player's ability to give a shit about such details had already been undermined by the discovery of a whole lost sky-faring civilization in the depths of earth which wasn't even implied anywhere in the previous games at all.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
And story-wise,
I was talking about the reveal, not a story twist. I mean the introduction of the titans when I was talking about the reveal. And the fact that lyrium is not only alive and can be tainted, as we've already learned during Varric's personal quest, but that it is the blood of the aforementioned titans as well. This information is presented to you in a swift motion, so I couldn't help myself but see it as some kind of retcon, because the whole new metaphysical entity is presented in a matter of minutes. Although the lyrium was already implied to be alive in DA: Origins, the whole "well, now look how the world really works" is pretty lame, like the stuff from the long-running TV-series when the writers had to produce new staff about the world just to keep the story going. The scene with "look this dwarf can do magic but DWARVES CANNOT DO MAGIC" was downright pointless because it was supposed to be weird and unnatural, but the player's ability to give a shit about such details had already been undermined by the discovery of a whole lost sky-faring civilization in the depths of earth which wasn't even implied anywhere in the previous games at all.

Yeah. I really like DA lore, which is a big reason I am replaying these two middling games. This seems like a bad turn for it though, getting a bit too silly and going back on interesting concepts it had already. I think it's interesting the
titan thing comes right as they show the elven gods weren't gods at all, and that the chantry's telling of the golden city fable is a lie. Maybe they're building up to the titans being the actual gods, and "they're underground what a twist!" I think the thing I mostly disliked though was just the silly image if a sky with a sun and plants and everything on floating rocks in the core of the planet. I mean... it's fantasy I guess, but damn. Pushed beyond the realm of sensical to me.

alyvain

Learned
Yeah. I really like DA lore, which is a big reason I am replaying these two middling games. This seems like a bad turn for it though, getting a bit too silly and going back on interesting concepts it had already. I think it's interesting the
titan thing comes right as they show the elven gods weren't gods at all, and that the chantry's telling of the golden city fable is a lie. Maybe they're building up to the titans being the actual gods, and "they're underground what a twist!" I think the thing I mostly disliked though was just the silly image if a sky with a sun and plants and everything on floating rocks in the core of the planet. I mean... it's fantasy I guess, but damn. Pushed beyond the realm of sensical to me.

The piece about the "real" gods is somewhat elaborated in the Trespasser. And about the skies, there is a whole fan-theory about geography of Thedas, which was most probably concocted somewhere on Reddit in a vain attempt to imitate deep-lore fanatics of TES. Would explain why the dwarves are afraid to fall in the sky, though

I think that's certainly true of Hakkon, which is basically just another normal zone added to the game. Descent is a different experience though, much more linear and story driven, so I think it's probably worth playing even if you're sick of the normal gameplay. I hear the same is true of Trespasser. If you're the type to replay you could do different things each game, as like I said you only need to be level 16ish to finish it and I believe the DLC scales. So you could theoretically skip a ton of optional stuff in the original game and do the DLC instead? Except for Trespasser of course, which is an epilogue.

You're not wrong, as i said, in a vacuum they're absolute fine content, even better than most of the main game, but even The Descent which is the most combat focused of the 3 i don't think is different enough to be worth it, i mean, i don't hate the combat but its not complex enough to offer that many possibilities. I also think the main story beats of Tresspasser should've been incorporated into the main game, like an improved version of the Extended Cut for Mass Effect 3 instead of bloating the experience even more, but i know that these DLC's are released months apart from themselves and the game itself, thus its not a problem if you play each one at a time, but playing the whole thing in one go doesn't make a better experience imo because the game is too bloated with filler by design.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom