Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Quest XI

Vorark

Erudite
So... I'm trying to play this, but to be honest playing on Draconian mode (strong monsters) pisses me off. I'm level 8 or 9, enter Kingsbarrow, and basically 4 or 5 fights into the dungeon I'm out of mana, and need to heal using items. For some reasons the authors thought that giving all trashy mobs 'Heal' ability will be fun - it's not. At this point it's really tedious and boring for me.

There's no need to focus on grinding as long as you don't run away from all enemy groups you see. When entering a new area, fight them only enough to know which monsters can spawn in, learn their attacks and patterns and then move on. The following approach only had me underleveled for one rather infamous boss encounter.

AliceAlcina

Learned
yeah, I think I will wait for Oct 2020 for possible update, then maybe play what I have in library. I regret not reading the forums before the buying.

Casual Hero

Augur
In my opinion, DQ 11 is best enjoyed without any of the Draconian settings; just don't fight everyone you see. The game was balanced around the assumption that the player would avoid most combats, since it is very easy to outrun enemies on the overworld. If you like grinding, then by all means play the 'Difficult Monsters' mode, but I think one of the better aspects of DQ 11 is that you don't need to grind. If anything, play vanilla, but with the "less XP" setting.

But that is just my preference.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
yeah, I think I will wait for Oct 2020

huh what will be in Oct 2020 again?

Someone before me posted that there's might be 1 year exclusivity on a patch, which should end in Sept 2020. I won't hold my breath, but I would still wait. Don't want to play the game without content in vain.
Meaning they would parch the orquesta soundtrack and add the classic mode? It would be very nice especially for consoles

mogwaimon

Magister
In my opinion, DQ 11 is best enjoyed without any of the Draconian settings; just don't fight everyone you see. The game was balanced around the assumption that the player would avoid most combats, since it is very easy to outrun enemies on the overworld. If you like grinding, then by all means play the 'Difficult Monsters' mode, but I think one of the better aspects of DQ 11 is that you don't need to grind. If anything, play vanilla, but with the "less XP" setting.

honestly I got frustrated shortly after the spider boss and turned off Stronger Enemies, got past the doll boss, and then stopped because it was so easy it was just boring, and also they had announced the Switch version having extra content but not PC so I got pissed at that too. Keep Stronger Enemies on, it's not worth it.

Casual Hero

Augur

honestly I got frustrated shortly after the spider boss and turned off Stronger Enemies, got past the doll boss, and then stopped because it was so easy it was just boring, and also they had announced the Switch version having extra content but not PC so I got pissed at that too. Keep Stronger Enemies on, it's not worth it.
Turning off the draconian settings halfway throught the game would be quite jarring, yes. But as I mentioned, I think the game is best enjoyed without the draconian settings; just don't overlevel your party. If you prefer to grind and have lots of combats, then maybe go for stronger enemies, but if you don't want to grind, then just play the game as intended.

Cat Dude

Savant
My problem with the game is there is only single character shown for exploration. We are already way past hardware limitation at this point to show all characters on screen.

Casual Hero

Augur
My problem with the game is there is only single character shown for exploration. We are already way past hardware limitation at this point to show all characters on screen.
The Switch version shows your whole party; it really is the best way to play the game.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The game is a snoozefest if you don't use draconian setting.

-Stronger enemies
No escaping
-No exp for weaker monsters

Even on these settings, you don't have to grind all that much. It's all about combat setup and what actions you take during combat that matters. Buffs/debuffs and status ailments become super important. Eric has been essential with his x6 damage abilities that most often work on bosses, too.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
The game is a snoozefest if you don't use draconian setting.

-Stronger enemies
No escaping
-No exp for weaker monsters

Even on these settings, you don't have to grind all that much. It's all about combat setup and what actions you take during combat that matters. Buffs/debuffs and status ailments become super important. Eric has been essential with his x6 damage abilities that most often work on bosses, too.

The latter two are definitly optional, no escape changes nothing about the game instead of making the Wheel of Harma more tedious and no exp does nothing all the time, and then that electro light team of 3 vicious metal slimes you killed gives 0 xp.
Stronger enemies is a must. Long time since I have seen such a perfectly well balanced difficulty in an JRPG like on Draconian here.

Falksi

Arcane
Around 6 hours in so far, not blown away by it at all but still good solid JRPG fun.

Big gripe with the music though, fuckinghell it's ear-bleeding at times. Playing it now with the music totally turned off, rank stuff.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Around 6 hours in so far, not blown away by it at all but still good solid JRPG fun.

Big gripe with the music though, fuckinghell it's ear-bleeding at times. Playing it now with the music totally turned off, rank stuff.
If you're on PC, just download the Orchestral Music Mod.

cosmicray

Savant
Started the demo on Switch and turned on Draconian quests - Stronger Enemies and No Exp from weaker ones. I'm getting destroyed after leaving village on horse to Heliodor. What's the tactic here? I've leveled to 4th level and some enemies weren't giving any exp. Then I went further in the next area and some groups were wiping me. Should I just reach the castle without fighting anyone? It's annoying. I'm not against some grind, but I can't really grind when I'm getting killed. Plus I'm afraid to be under-leveled later.

Hyperion

Arcane
Use a Greatsword. Go to Heliodor, upgrade your equipment. Wait till you get your second party member to fight more.

Isak

Educated
Just finished the postgame.
I think adding a post-game was really nice of the devs. Personally I see the first ending as the ‘True’ ending - mission accomplished at a great price. In stark contrast to most games, DQXI’s mainline story is simple...superficial even. But the little side stories and character arcs are incredibly moving.

The post-game on the other hand, felt like fan-service, and I don’t mean that as a pejorative - quite the opposite in fact. It was a well-deserved reward for putting in the extra work, with some bonus character arcs thrown in for the hardcore fans.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom