Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress [LP CYOA] Tower

Baltika9

Arcane
While I care about Rain, a woman just needs to accept that there's a special bond between a man and his dog. :shittydog:
Poser. :M

For all the talk of how lonely the doggy is, you won't even keep him company. Caring is more than just feeding, you know? :shittydog:
Even worse, Lambchop is using compassionate rhetoric to sway votes for his own selfish goals. He doesn't care about Uridimmu, only his powerful spear.

All flex and no lift, as usual.
The contract is on the table. Either take it or leave it, pussy.
NO U.

Last edited:

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Ok, retards. Let me know when you get serious.

Last edited by a moderator:

Baltika9

Arcane
Lambchop: 'Noooo, Codex, we can't pass up a powerful Astrarino to pet the dog!'

Codex: 'Haha doggy's tale go wiggle.'

Last edited:

Orbit

Scholar
2/ Presuming what the demon says is true, the simple fact remains that, as I said before, we have NO reason to make a highly dangerous and surely costly deal with a demon without any pressing need.
Instead you wait for the very last moment until all other options are exhausted and you're grasping for the last straw. Only then some powerful entity will offer us a deal so immensely good for us we couldn't possibly refuse, right? They surely wouldn't try to take advantage of our precarious situation then and hornswoggle us. Because that woud be evil. You sure know how to make a deal.

Or maybe nobody offers us anything and we're left to saviour a shit cake in its wholeness. Still better than trusting a friendly doggy.

Instead you wait for the very last moment until all other options are exhausted and you're grasping for the last straw. Only then some powerful entity will offer us a deal so immensely good for us we couldn't possibly refuse, right? They surely wouldn't try to take advantage of our precarious situation then and hornswoggle us. Because that woud be evil. You sure know how to make a deal.
Exactly. When negotiating a contract, it’s best to do it from a position of strength. If you do it when you have no other choice, the other party can demand literally everything from you.

Tigranes

Arcane
Since when did "negotiate from a position of strength" mean "oh, strange demon we just met five seconds ago offers us power for unspecified cost to meet an unspecified danger. Gosh golly we HAVE TO TAKE IT RIGHT NOW! Otherwise we'll be fucked!"

Sounds like the absolute opposite of negotiating from a position of strength. Sounds like the type of guy that falls for "hey listen I totally have another guy looking at this house right now, so if you want it you got five seconds to take it or leave it at my opening price..."

Since when did "negotiate from a position of strength" mean "oh, strange demon we just met five seconds ago offers us power for unspecified cost to meet an unspecified danger. Gosh golly we HAVE TO TAKE IT RIGHT NOW! Otherwise we'll be fucked!"

Sounds like the absolute opposite of negotiating from a position of strength. Sounds like the type of guy that falls for "hey listen I totally have another guy looking at this house right now, so if you want it you got five seconds to take it or leave it at my opening price..."
And yet you trust the demon enough to take his portals home.

Again, this demon could have killed us at any time. He simply gains more from allowing us to have a powerful astra than he does by devouring a 10-year-old.

Look, I'm not pretending this is without risks. But if we start off knowing that there is a risk, we stand a chance of mitigating it or perhaps learning how to bypass it vs waiting for some desperate moment when we're *forced* to call upon his power. I made a mistake in being too cautious with the gun and I think we're making the same mistake here by not accepting his offer.

Again, there are risks. I am saying that I'm ok with them. If you're not, that's fine. Just don't bitch out like Baltika9 and Nevill.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

And yet you trust the demon enough to take his portals home.

Again, this demon could have killed us at any time. He simply gains more from allowing us to have a powerful astra than he does by devouring a 10-year-old.

Look, I'm not pretending this is without risks. But if we start off knowing that there is a risk, we stand a chance of mitigating it or perhaps learning how to bypass it vs waiting for some desperate moment when we're *forced* to call upon his power. I made a mistake in being too cautious with the gun and I think we're making the same mistake here by not accepting his offer.

I think there's a high chance we'll end in a DEVOUR SOUL situation if we take this offer.

Like I said, I’m ok with the risks. And I think that while there is a chance of that, there’s also a chance we can learn to master the power that he’s offering somehow.

But again, I totally understand not taking the risks and I’m not saying that choosing to avoid them is dumb. Only that we may be showing too much caution in not taking it when we could always show caution in using it later.

hello friend

Arcane
we could always show caution in using it later.

That's just the part I'm worried about, that if we get access to power, we'll just throw caution to the wind and use it nearly every time.
I share your concern. But you know what they say: It's better to have a gun and not need it than need it and not have it.

Kalarion

Serial Ratist
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's going to be a long wait to Thursday men.

treave 's statements got me thinking, and it convinced me to flop to B A. The others aren't in the trouble we were, I think. Let's not rush to make the situation worse.

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
In before we get stuck in the mansion because Sophie's already done her thing and gone back to the desert.

Baltika9

Arcane
Again, there are risks. I am saying that I'm ok with them. If you're not, that's fine. Just don't bitch out like Baltika9 and Nevill.
:lol:

Bro, my flop to 1A was not even genuine in the first place. My bad if I led you on and played with your emotions, but I pretty much spelled out that I'm :shitposting:. I didn't mean to hurt you bby, I'm sorry.

The reason I'm against 1A is because I think we should do some research on Uridimmu before we trust the nice doggie.* While he may not be lying to us directly, Uridimmu may be misrepresenting the truth because of his own hubris and desperation. 'Yes, first human visitor I've seen in millennia, take my power for I am a gracious and merciful god.' The catch being that there are probably other powerful Astras out there that he doesn't know of, or doesn't recognize as equal to his own.

I mean, fucking look at this dude trying to puff himself up in front of a little boy! I think he might actually like us, no joke.
:lol:

At a guess, I'd say the Spear of Longinus and Tlalli's Eye approach the power level of his Astra. And if the Tower truly brings human myths to life, then we may be able to obtain the Holy Grail if we follow through with LARPing Galahad, the true christian knight.

*OR, we could establish his trustworthiness by petting him.
:shittydog:

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Wouldn't I need to bitch in first before I get to bitch out? :lol:

I was never a pro-demon voter in the first place, I was just more willing to acknowledge his words than the rest of 1B crowd. I've finally been swayed by your heartfelt pleas about the doggie being left all alone with neither toys nor treats, and this is my reward? Was it all a lie, Lambchop? :(

I will concede there are reasons that make his offer look attractive. I will also make clear personal reasons that prevent me from supporting it.

Well I know what's wrong and I know what's right,
And I know that evil exists sure as day turns into night.
When a man gets down on his knees to pray
You know he'll find what he is able,
But chances are he'll find it either way.
We have 3 suspected instances of Uridimmu: the Tentacle Nazgul that killed Rain's mother and tried to kill Rain, Rasputin who didn't rat us out to Alexei but instead sent us on a dangerous quest, and John Bull who tried to eat us and Sophie. We are 2-for-3 with fragments of Uridimmu being associated with people who are, frankly, evil. And the 3rd, while cool, is still quite mad; I don't know how Rasputin reconciles his powers with his faith in God.

While it is nothing definitive, I'd say 3 cases are enough of a pattern to establish the DEMONZ are bad influence, and attract the wrong type of crowd. Father McClellan and his daughter wouldn't approve, and Rain might not either. Sue me for valuing that more than an artifact spear.

And finally, this is our fate we are talking about. I'd rather take the chance to tackle it before breaking the knee to higher powers so they would deliver us from it.
Blame Baltika for taking out that knife and jumping the Tentanazgul instead of closing his eyes and PRAYing; I got quite attached to the sort of character we've become.

Last edited:

Baltika9

Arcane
Blame Baltika for taking out that knife and jumping the Tentanazgul instead of closing his eyes and PRAYing; I got quite attached to the sort of character we've become.
I am in favor of playing a religious character, be he Christian, Muslim, Azteca, Zoroastiran, or a cultist of Uridimmu, the goodest dog and patron god of belly rubs. But I want our acceptance of a higher power to be genuine and heartfelt; given the time frame we're playing in, a character like Wrinkly could feasibly become a devoutly faithful person under the right circumstances.

ChumBucket

Augur
Just a random thoughts in the hopes of prolonging the DISCUSS: What if we already have a piece of him as part of us? I mean what if the hound we encountered in the prologue was one of his manifestations, and the injury with our leg is because he left his mark on us? And this is an opportunity to make use of it? Maybe that is why he knows we will inevitably call upon him? :M

Baltika9

Arcane
I think that you're right. Uridimmu said that these smaller hounds were fragments of him, called Marchiosias, and we definitely have been 'marked' by one of them during our fight, as Mr. Bull said. Further, he states that it was this fragment that brought us to his pyramid:

Make no mistake, you came here on your own, pulled along by the bond you have to a fragment of mine. The rituals of the weaklings who yet unknowingly search for Kadath may have opened the way to the Dreamlands, but no other mortal has made it to my halls for millennia.

“What… are you?” you mutter.

The ancients named me Uridimmu, I who was born of our Great Mother. The magicians call upon mere pieces of mine and bestow upon them the name of Marchosias, deluding themselves into believing that they have truly tapped into my insight and power. But I am and always will be the Hound, the companion to the nightmares of Man, the whisperer of violence in your hearts, the mightiest of the eleven primordial demons. And you are…

This is definitely not the last time we'll meet him, and I'm not opposed to working with him on principle. But I want to do some homework first.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Just a random thoughts in the hopes of prolonging the DISCUSS: What if we already have a piece of him as part of us?
We do, but I think it didn't integrate well. All it does is make our leg hurt.
That is definitely not how "magicians" use it. Perhaps with time we get to make it into a power of our own.

...of course, it might require being taught about it by one of these people, and they haven't been... very promising mentor figures.

Baltika9

Arcane
...of course, it might require being taught about it by one of these people, and they haven't been... very promising mentor figures.
Going by Uridimmu's own words that I quoted above, those magicians have no idea what they're actually doing with his fragments, so I'm not sure how helpful they can be to begin with. The best teacher, both to use his fragments and counter the magicians, is Uridimmu himself. Which is a pretty good reason to support 1A.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom