Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire + DLC Thread - now with turn-based combat!

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Of course, all the interesting ideas either weren't explored or implemented at all. Good job, Obsidian's writing team.

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
Of course, all the interesting ideas either weren't explored or implemented at all. Good job, Obsidian's writing team.

yeah, honestly if they would remove all this tribal shit and add weird balance of a ruthless orlan cipher ruling/peacekeeping class and a largely mentally-dominated aumaua slave class instead, probably Deadfire would be a decent game. Wait, no. Ship battles. Fucking ship battles.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Everything other than the whole Eothas plot was kinda cool. They should have focused the story on local issues and completely discarded the whole gods stuff. Didn't care a single bit about any of that, but the world itself was sufficiently interesting.

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
Honestly, aside from amazing Beast of Winter

449689218.jpg

the only interesting quest in Deadfire was Splintered Reef:

This odd, long-abandoned region on the fringes of the Archipelago is shrouded in a thick fog and inhabited by the undead. Two hundred years ago, this keep was claimed by the Darcozzi Paladin, Lucia Rivan. Ever since it has been turned into a warped version of a peaceful town, where the undead "live" under the illusion they are living, breathing people, lashed to the will of one Menzzago.

Quillon

Arcane
This odd, long-abandoned region on the fringes of the Archipelago is shrouded in a thick fog and inhabited by the undead. Two hundred years ago, this keep was claimed by the Darcozzi Paladin, Lucia Rivan. Ever since it has been turned into a warped version of a peaceful town, where the undead "live" under the illusion they are living, breathing people, lashed to the will of one Menzzago.

Then Watcher arrived, after a quick introduction proceeded to slaughter everyone.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
I liked the structure of Neketeteke, not sure what the problem is. I guess it depends on the playstyle. If you're one of those OCD dudes who have a stroke if they don't pick&clean every pixel of every map, maybe the concentration of quests is too much. Me, I like to mix it up, do a bit of sailing, explore some dinky islands, then come back to big city, hit couple of quests and back to exploring again.

Quillon

Arcane
I liked the structure of Neketeteke, not sure what the problem is. I guess it depends on the playstyle. If you're one of those OCD dudes who have a stroke if they don't pick&clean every pixel of every map, maybe the concentration of quests is too much. Me, I like to mix it up, do a bit of sailing, explore some dinky islands, then come back to big city, hit couple of quests and back to exploring again.

We already talked about this 2 years ago for couple pages. Sawya agrees with my argument 2 years later, now he'll apply this MIGHTY enlightenment to his new tiny non-violent game(RPG?), it'll be glorious! :smug:

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Everything other than the whole Eothas plot was kinda cool. They should have focused the story on local issues and completely discarded the whole gods stuff. Didn't care a single bit about any of that, but the world itself was sufficiently interesting.

The companions were decidedly not cool.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
The factions don't interact with each other the way it would make the most sense though. The Vailian Trading Company are underutilizing cheap Gullet labor for their enterprises. Had they done that, it would cause inevitable tension with the caste system of the Huana in Neketaka because the cheap labor force would suddenly have more resources due to the employment by the Vailians. Introducing capitalism in the caste system is actually a step up for these people. There's criminally few such interactions between the factions that would explore interesting and relevant topics. As it stands now, most of the quests have you fetching shit from islands or mills, or whatever. I have no idea about the pirates or the Rauataians, I didn't play enough to find out what they are about. Probably bullshit.

2house2fly

Magister
My main complaint about Neketaka is that when you do the DLCs you're very unlikely to actually trigger the random encounter which leads you to Izzia and Woedica's Crown, because it requires you to travel between districts a number of times- but by the time you finish a DLC, there's no reason to travel much between districts because you've already cleared out all the quest content and you're not likely to need to buy anything from a vendor. A smart decision from the guys who brought you "an arena DLC that only opens up when you're ready to end the main quest"

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
My main complaint about Neketaka is that when you do the DLCs you're very unlikely to actually trigger the random encounter which leads you to Izzia and Woedica's Crown, because it requires you to travel between districts a number of times- but by the time you finish a DLC, there's no reason to travel much between districts because you've already cleared out all the quest content and you're not likely to need to buy anything from a vendor. A smart decision from the guys who brought you "an arena DLC that only opens up when you're ready to end the main quest"

SSS? I think that opens sooner then that. Forgotten Sanctum on the other hand...

Diggfinger

Arcane
It's cool how everyone despises this game but the thread keeps getting bumped and we're about to reach p. 350. Long-tail indeed.

It;s because it's fucking awesome!!

I'm 40H+ in on Path of the Damned (turn-based) and cant fucking stop playing...
this game might break my top-5 or even top-3 of best all-time!

I don't think anyone despises this game. It's competent, but the writing and narrative structure drag it down, like discussed many times.

That's far too reasonable a stance. Either it's the worst game of all time and Obsidian are literal Cali-commie war criminals or it's chin-stroking canonical material of the highest order, there can be nothing in between. How else am I supposed to stay entertained when firing up rpgcodex.net?

It is the latter indeed, :obviously:
:5/5:

:excellent:

Last edited:

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Well, I've just finished Forgotten Sanctum Turn Based.
Guess I'll skip most of the remaining faction quests and the 2 earlier DLCs and will soon set sail to Ukaizo...

Been fun, but I do prefer real time gameplay on this one.
Although a nuker assassin mage really gets a lot of mileage from Ningauth's Death Ray Turn Based mode edition.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
the world itself was sufficiently interesting.

Wat.

Principi are generic pirates. They are a varied demographic, they pillage and plunder, amazing. Vailian Trading Company = East India Company. Neketaka = Titikaka. Wow so original, I'm not sure I can take it. Then you have fampyrs = vampires, xaurips = kobolds, vithracks = illithid, planetouched = godlikes, gûls = ghouls. Utterly forgettable talentless shite.

Last edited:

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
Well, I've just finished Forgotten Sanctum Turn Based.
Guess I'll skip most of the remaining faction quests and the 2 earlier DLCs and will soon set sail to Ukaizo...

Been fun, but I do prefer real time gameplay on this one.
Although a nuker assassin mage really gets a lot of mileage from Ningauth's Death Ray Turn Based mode edition.

I would kill myself before complete this game in turn-based.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
the world itself was sufficiently interesting.

Wat.

Principi are generic pirates. They are a varied demographic, they pillage and plunder, amazing. Vailian Trading Company = East India Company. Neketaka = Titikaka. Wow so original, I'm not sure I can take it. Then you have fampyrs = vampires, xaurips = kobolds, vithracks = illithid, planetouched = godlikes, gûls = ghouls. Utterly forgettable talentless shite.

I'm so starved for settings that aren't pseudo-medieval fantasy, I'm willing to consider generic fantasy BUT WITH PIRATES AND MUSKETS good.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
I'm so starved for settings that aren't pseudo-medieval fantasy, I'm willing to consider generic fantasy BUT WITH PIRATES AND MUSKETS good.

Yet it's pseudo-historical tripe of the highest order. The whole game is a parody of 15th century New World colonialism

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
I finally got to fight the Guardian of Ukaizo (previously the water dragon got rid of him) and what do you know, its actually a pretty nice bossfight. Didn't expect much, but was pleasantly surprised.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom