Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Clam Man 2: Headliner is an upcoming combatless stand-up comedy RPG inspired by Disco Elysium

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
deterministic system > RNG

Last edited:

Morkar Left

But in present day few people even know what an adventure game is...
Including yourself, apparently. DE is no Adventure - those have puzzles.

Sadly, adventures stopped a long time ago having puzzles because nobody seems to be competent enough to put some good ones in. Or the audience just got dumber. Honestly. I think this kind of games are more successors to adventure games instead of being rpgs. Nothing wrong with that.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Ouch, that one stings a little bit.

Hey, don't de offended for us having littlelighthearted fun, we just discharging the tension. )

Not at all, I really appreciate the support and kind words! It’s a nice contrast to a lot of the rest of the comments!

Welcome to the Codex :D

Maybe you guys corraborate somehow? Hot in actual work and such - but at least at discussion level - discuss something, gave birth to somehting new?

Or the audience just got dumber.

This.

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
You have gained a lot of respect from me in this thread, shielding a solo indy dev, who pretty much copies your game, from criticism is a chad move as an artist.
Just how much respect have you got in reserve that you can flush it away on hipster fags? He might be an illustrator I guess but he's no artist.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Why must indie RPGmakers do stuff like this when all i just want is a good Might and Magic 4-5 clone :despair:
At least there are some good new blobbers out there, sure they're not imitations of MM, but they're still blobbers. No one is ever going to do a Might and Magic 6-8 clone, because apparently that's too hard and requires too much coding knowledge.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
Depends. Western adventures are focused on puzzles, while Japanese adventure games tend to focus more on the story with few to no puzzles in between -- some of them even have stats and time management.
Which, judging from that logic, means... Disco Elysium is a hentai-less successor to the Honorable Eastern Eroge, just like Pathologic? ;)

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
He is just retarded, there are adventure games with lots of puzzles just as there are with some or few. DE itself has a few puzzles.

Last edited:
Well you just got blessings from Kasparov from Za/Um himself so I dont think you have to stress too much about differenting your game.
Didnt even know these guys were here, must be stressfull with so many people hating Disco outspokenly. But they probably dont have the balls to attack the Devs directly.
Stressful :lol:

But does it stress you out to think that many of those people who are otherwise highly knowledgeable on the topic of RPGs don't consider your game of sufficient RPG character

Alex

Arcane
Depends. Western adventures are focused on puzzles, while Japanese adventure games tend to focus more on the story with few to no puzzles in between -- some of them even have stats and time management.
Which, judging from that logic, means... Disco Elysium is a hentai-less successor to the Honorable Eastern Eroge, just like Pathologic? ;)

What you are calling "japanese adventure games" aren't adventure games at all (in fact, most aren't games at all either). Actual japanese adventure games can probably be counted on one's fingers (either that or they simply never get translated).

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
combatless stand-up comedy RPG

If it's combatless it's not an RPG but an adventure game.

Damn it, stop trying to shove crap into the adventure genre. If it doesn't have actual puzzles, it is not an adventure.

Puzzles always were and will be the worst part of Adventure genre.
Play the fucking puzzle game and leave me with my story.

V_K

Arcane

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
combatless stand-up comedy RPG

If it's combatless it's not an RPG but an adventure game.

Damn it, stop trying to shove crap into the adventure genre. If it doesn't have actual puzzles, it is not an adventure.

Puzzles always were and will be the worst part of Adventure genre.
Play the fucking puzzle game and leave me with my story.
Go watch a movie, dumbfuck.

But Death Stranding is not on PC yet

Luzur

Good Sir
Why must indie RPGmakers do stuff like this when all i just want is a good Might and Magic 4-5 clone :despair:
At least there are some good new blobbers out there, sure they're not imitations of MM, but they're still blobbers. No one is ever going to do a Might and Magic 6-8 clone, because apparently that's too hard and requires too much coding knowledge.

good Might and Magic 4-5 clone

Might and Magic 6-8 clone

:D

Luzur

Good Sir

There is a Might & Magic 3 clone, if you're interested (Legens of Amberland).

Already have it, and its very....bare now, not much to do and alot of locales are just empty.
So very true to original?

Nah MM's had lots of hidden stuff in mountain ranges, chests, loot and fountains and whatnot, you cant even climb mountains in Amberland, and after i got the ship i sailed around and found alot of just empty places with NPC's that had nothing to say (and their dialogue dont change even after i stopped the orc invasion int he south, those knights still scream about being overrunned and cant last a minute more by orcs even though the whole souther continent is empty of orcs, original MM's change the text after you did stuff atleast.) + towns in MM where walkable locales, towns in Amberland are a screen. Still alot to add in that game i feel.

Last edited:

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
No one is ever going to do a Might and Magic 6-8 clone, because apparently that's too hard and requires too much coding knowledge.
I'd say the main bottleneck lies in graphics (the character artwork for the most part).

What you are calling "japanese adventure games" aren't adventure games at all (in fact, most aren't games at all either). Actual japanese adventure games can probably be counted on one's fingers (either that or they simply never get translated).
I see your point, but we're yet to agree on what is a game at least 7 times.

V_K

Arcane
No one is ever going to do a Might and Magic 6-8 clone, because apparently that's too hard and requires too much coding knowledge.
I'd say the main bottleneck lies in graphics (the character artwork for the most part).

I see your point, but we're yet to agree on what is a game at least 7 times.
We don't have to agree on what a game is, to agree on what a game is not - like DE or other VNs and CYOAs.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom