Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Stirring Abyss is an upcoming Lovecraftian tactical RPG set at the bottom of the ocean

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
The problem with making games about Lovecraftian horror: if the player can fight back, you have already failed.

You can fight, but all you can do is survive for awhile.

I haven't really given up on Reign of the Old Ones yet, but one of my problems with it is that the scale is too big for a propeprly focused Lovecraft story; it touches on too many aspects of the Mythos. Hopefully this will be a bit more limited in scale.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
I wonder if there's any particular significance to the fact that this game takes place during the early Cold War.

Is it just for the 1950s aesthetics? Will the Russkies show up? Maybe it's just the earliest possible period (closest to classic Lovecraft time) where humans surviving at the bottom of the ocean for long would be technologically feasible. Is the USS Salem a nuclear sub?

Too bad these guys took down their failed Indiegogo campaign, there might have been more details there.
If I had to guess, I'd say because they wanted to put it as soon as possible after the short story, which takes place during WWI. Chances are you can join up with an enemy sub at one point, and they didn't want to kick the hornet's nest of having nazis.

MrBuzzKill

Arcane
Don't see enough of this type of UI. That heavily stylized clunky interface is a significant part of what made the old games so aesthetically pleasing. Rest looks good too.
Fucking agree a 1000 percent. If I wanted clean streamlined UI, I'd exit to Windows DOS macOS Android somewhere.
It's not a proper game if the UI doesn't cover about 50% of the screen. :obviously:

Like this:
7BQGzePQUhcEJ8_-XI7Ec7HJivfz0e-6-mqVYI7PdQBUc-1LunWhvyk-XYeS3RiQ-lzTa1zVwdwaafJdtA3l96W0MKtncnnNGMtQMD8Ur-PLZw
main_small.jpg
main_small.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom