Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Total War: Warhammer 2

AgentFransis

Cipher
Patron
You do have to wonder what they were doing to even cause some of those bugs.
tenor.gif

A horse of course

You do have to wonder what they were doing to even cause some of those bugs.

I don't recall what the term they use in software development is (someone else mentioned it) but CA frequently re-introduce bugs and glitches that were fixed in previous patches. Combined with the whole Norsca development fiasco, there's something seriously fucked up about CA's workflow beyond plain laziness.

on sale on humble bundle. 75% off. still 20 euros. for a 3 years old game. and you'd still have to pay 85 euros more worth of dlcs. for an officially declared still incomplete experience.
holy fuck, digital delivery truly saved gaming.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
So far WHTW2 with mortal empires gave me the most entertaining and satisfying experience of all Total War series, with the exception of original total war, well, because baby duck syndrome, and Medieval Total War because killing entire mongol horde on a river with crossbowmen is, by far, the most satisfying experience game could give me.
Aaaaand, that is strange because how WHTW better than Three Kingdoms, Thrones of brittania and other thrash CA vomited. Even with lore they are, like, the best representation of FB and lore research present.
I cannot explain this phenomenon. Maybe thye got experienced real devs working on WH and then...everyone else, maybe tyrones and feminists taken by quotas.

Nahel

Arcane
So far WHTW2 with mortal empires gave me the most entertaining and satisfying experience of all Total War series, with the exception of original total war, well, because baby duck syndrome, and Medieval Total War because killing entire mongol horde on a river with crossbowmen is, by far, the most satisfying experience game could give me.
Aaaaand, that is strange because how WHTW better than Three Kingdoms, Thrones of brittania and other thrash CA vomited. Even with lore they are, like, the best representation of FB and lore research present.
I cannot explain this phenomenon. Maybe thye got experienced real devs working on WH and then...everyone else, maybe tyrones and feminists taken by quotas.

Agreed. Like I barely expected anything from C.A anymore but this one is so addictive. It has one major problem. Loading times....

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Agreed. Like I barely expected anything from C.A anymore but this one is so addictive. It has one major problem. Loading times....
I often see people complaining about loading time on streams but for fuck's sake, most of us remember 5 minutes per turn shit before they released the patch where turn times became literally 10 times faster.

tabacila

Augur
Maybe thye got experienced real devs working on WH and then...everyone else, maybe tyrones and feminists taken by quotas.
Not really. CA probably has one big BIG GAME (TM) team and other far smaller DLC/bugfix teams for games they still support. This was really evident after WH2's release when the big team moved to Bat-eater Total War and the people left behind where overwhelmed by bugs, the Norsca fuckup and delivering new DLC. In 2018 there were pretty big bugs that stayed in the game for months on end and it took them almost half an year to get the pre-order bonus into the actual game.
After they launched 3K TW in May 2019 the big devs probably moved to WH3 and since it will probably be on pretty much the same engine they found time for stuff like the massive increase of end turn times speed we now have in WH2.

tabacila

Augur
End turn times now are really brilliant. Or do you mean loading time from campaign to battle and back? It's not exactly fast, but it's pretty ok on a SSD or M2 drive.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
on sale on humble bundle. 75% off. still 20 euros. for a 3 years old game. and you'd still have to pay 85 euros more worth of dlcs. for an officially declared still incomplete experience.
holy fuck, digital delivery truly saved gaming.
Blame Denuvo. They can get greedy as they want when they don't see pirated version two weeks after every large DLC, or when stuff is properly patched and decently working.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
End turn times now are really brilliant. Or do you mean loading time from campaign to battle and back? It's not exactly fast, but it's pretty ok on a SSD or M2 drive.
I still think it is way too slow.

For example, why does loading a battle map unload the campaign map, so that when you go back from battle to campaign, you get a loading screen?
The campaign map should never be unloaded, it's not like it would require some insane amount of memory.
Switching from battle to campaign should be close to instant.

Or when you load a save game from campaign mode - in theory, all that should be necessary would be to just remove all the actors on the map (armies, etc.) as well as city information and re-add all those.
This should be extremely fast - but it isn't, which leads me to believe that here, too, the entire map is unloaded and then loaded again - even if most of the information doesn't change and could just be kept.

Likewise, why can't you save at the beginning of a battle? You can only quicksave before a battle, so whenever you load such a save, you get the normal loading PLUS the loading screen for the battle again.
It is completely insane from a coding structure point of view.
I'm quite sure they just got extra lazy avoiding having to create save game logic for battle (as if that would be hard, I mean, c'mon it's just a bunch of units on a small map).

The only "okay" loading time is the initial loading time when you start the game and load a save. Everything after that should be many times faster.

Last edited:

RoBoBOBR

Arcane
Patron
currently engineers "+ range" bonus don't work. I just started up a game as skaven.
Checked, seems to work. It's just that it does not apply until you start the battle. Also 2 buffs from 2 engineers does not seem to stack, but checking with my two armies (Skaven, Ikit Claw campaign, not beta ver.): the one that has two engineers specced into bonus range for weapon team units -- mortars go from 305 range to 330 after i start the battle, the one that has no engineers -- mortars remain at 305 range.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
They seem to find a perfect formulae for multiplayer. I played a lot in Empire Total War and Shogun 2 multiplayer games and I can say that in WH each battle lasts about 15-20 minutes. In Empire, even rush battles last for an hour. Shogun had serious problems with Pay2Win approach.
A lot of tournaments can run most of their games in 2 hours in WHTW2.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Is it normal for the GPU fans to go crazy on the campaign map? That's something I've been noticing with the Total Warhammer Games. I've trying adding V-Sync and installing that campaign map fog remover mod, but it still sounds like a jet turbine.
Temps appear to be low, and it gets better in battle, but I don't want my fans to burn out or something and it makes me really nervous to hear.

A horse of course

Is it normal for the GPU fans to go crazy on the campaign map? That's something I've been noticing with the Total Warhammer Games. I've trying adding V-Sync and installing that campaign map fog remover mod, but it still sounds like a jet turbine.
Temps appear to be low, and it gets better in battle, but I don't want my fans to burn out or something and it makes me really nervous to hear.

Yes, it's normal. Being a gaming laptop user for the past ten years, I'm no stranger to the sound, but there was a massive campaign map performance drop in Warhammer II somewhere around the time of the Queen and the Crone patch (iirc). It's funny because I was actually very surprised at how well the vanilla game performed when it was originally released.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane

Yes, it's normal. Being a gaming laptop user for the past ten years, I'm no stranger to the sound, but there was a massive campaign map performance drop in Warhammer II somewhere around the time of the Queen and the Crone patch (iirc). It's funny because I was actually very surprised at how well the vanilla game performed when it was originally released.

So there's actually nothing I can do? Ok then, hope the GPU's fans don't crap out on me.
I guess its a matter of poor coding then. Not even Doom 2016 causes the card to go that loud. Its not a weak card either - Rx580, which is considered to be one of the recommended cards.

A horse of course

So there's actually nothing I can do? Ok then, hope the GPU's fans don't crap out on me.
I guess its a matter of poor coding then. Not even Doom 2016 causes the card to go that loud. Its not a weak card either - Rx580, which is considered to be one of the recommended cards.

I wouldn't worry overmuch if your temps are kept reasonably in check (assuming it's your gpu fans), since that's just the typical wear-and-tear of playing demanding games. Doom 2016 is really not that punishing at all - I ran it on max myself, so maybe try some more gpu-heavy games and see if it has a similar result. Off the top of my head, Shadow of the Tomb Raider is another game that really made my system sweat.

ekrolo2

Learned
So, between this and Three Kingdoms, which is the superior game? I just finished Shogun 2 and I wanna jump into one of the newer entries in the series.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom