Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Best FPS level design

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Best level design in FPS: Quake
Best vertical-level design: Prey/Dishonored
Best interconnected-world design: Dark Souls

ValeVelKal

Arcane
Dark Force 1 has amazing map for the technology. Their capacity to change theme from “corridor-and-monster” like in level 1, to “horror level” (level 3) to « huge level with huge distance for combat- until suddenly you are in the base » level 4 was outstanding.

RoSoDude

Arcane
Quake still has masterful level design. Every level is diverse, challenging, and perfectly paced to be completed with no mid-level saves. The game is addictively replayable to me despite the utilitarian weapon arsenal and drab visuals because the core combat challenge is so satisfying (along with the skillful movement mechanics) and the level design makes hunting for keys and secrets such a joy. id were at the top of their game back then, even though they were just going through the motions by that point.

Episode 4 in particular is highly underrated.
It's filled to the brim with brutal encounters that remain intense every time i replay it. In addition to greater numbers of Vores and Shamblers than the prior episodes, Spawn are exclusive to the episode and are the bane of every hapless player, bouncing erratically to smack you around and exploding violently when killed. With the danger lurking around every corner, each level becomes a razor sharp map-wide resource management puzzle where you have to chain Quad Damage, Ring of Shadows, and Pentagram power-ups to efficiently carve your way through threats while navigating the level for key progression. Damn, why am I not replaying Quake right this minute, anyway?

Sjukob

Arcane
If you want "the best of the best" then you have to dig into user made content for 90's FPS games: Doom, Quake, Duke, Blood. I can guarantee you that nothing in the world outdoes fan made levels for these 4. Be careful going this route however, once you take a bite there's no going back, all commercial FPS releases would look underwhelming to you. Here's some stuff for Duke, for example:

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Catacomb Abyss, Catacomb Armageddon, Nitemare 3D and Blake Stone 3D are the pinnacle of Wolf-clone design. Interesting places, clever ways of getting around limited types of monsters, and plenty of tricky levels without resorting to bullshit.
Doom 1, for obvious reasons.
Blood's level design is a thing of joy, each new encounter another thing of beauty to slowly unravel.
Ion Fury genuinely surprised me with how well-done the level design is, although the enemies don't always live up to that design.
Star Wars Jedi Knight is the yardstick in which all 3D shooters of the era are weighed against.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom