Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

There's no such thing as "future rpg players". Nobody under 25 years old plays RPGs anymore

How old are you? Don't lie or you will go to hell

• Total voters

Cael

Arcane
Dunno wtf Maggi is but I’ll eat her out regardless
MaggiMasala70gFront-a715f.jpg

Possibly Retarded The Real Fanboy
All of You young maggots, ha ha ha .
To treat the topic half seriously, I think the success of stuff like Divinity 2 shows there will be "RPG" fans for a long time to come. Whether that fits your personal definition I dunno, but it's a lot closer than Assassin's Creed and Witcher 3.
Witcher 3 was nice action packed game, almost like Tomb Raider, except tits of Geralt are much smaller, calling it rpg only shows why AC:Valhalla will be considered full scale crpg now by masses of young hipsters etc.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
I didn't know RPGs were even a thing when I was playing them.

I just thought Buck Rogers, Morrowind and Fallout 1 & 2 were fun as fuck.

RPGs are more fun than fucking, in the same sense that firewater was more fun than fighting off the previous conquerors.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath

Pearass

Educated
I'm 19; turning 20 in a few months. I've been playing RPGs for as long as I can remember. I started playing JRPGs with my dad (Earthbound and Final Fantasy) and ARPGs with my grandfather (Diablo 1 and 2). I got into 'regular' CRPGs like Fallout or Baldur's Gate around age 11 or 12.

This is most certainly not the norm, but what are you going to do? Genres are arbitrary anyway, and I think it's not necessary to be protective of an abstract category of video games.

For the time being, people still enjoy RPGs and will continue to do so. As time goes on, I think less and less young people will be interested, as is the way with all media.

Love what you love, and cherish it for what it is. I wouldn't worry too much about what the future holds because, in time, all this will pass; video games as a medium will probably be unrecognizable in 100 years anyway. The present is all that matters, and for the time being there are still some developers making products for us to enjoy. Most people my age won't like it, but who cares?

Any of us that are here all love the same thing. Nothing beyond that matters. That beautiful connection is really special, especially for a niche sub category like ours.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom