Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPG quickies

Dr Skeleton

Arcane
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
d
Should be easily under 20h, probably more than 10 though.

As I typed that I realized the description literally says
15 hours of game play

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Most games seem to be in the range of 10-20 h, many at the upper boundary of 20 h. The "quickest" mentioned so far seem to be Age of Decadence, Diablo 1 and West of Loathing. Aren't there more under 10 hours ?

Chronicles of Mystara. 2 beatem up/rpg hybrids you can propably finish in 4 hours or less. Beautiful 2d graphics, character development from D&D. But you need monkey reflex to finish it.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Chapter 1 of the Swordflight modules for NWN1 is around 5-ish hours.

Silly Germans

Most games seem to be in the range of 10-20 h, many at the upper boundary of 20 h. The "quickest" mentioned so far seem to be Age of Decadence, Diablo 1 and West of Loathing. Aren't there more under 10 hours ?

Chronicles of Mystara. 2 beatem up/rpg hybrids you can propably finish in 4 hours or less. Beautiful 2d graphics, character development from D&D. But you need monkey reflex to finish it.

What kind of character development ? I only remember them being beat em ups with items but i only played the originals using an emulator many years ago, so i may have forgotten about that part.

Silly Germans

Chapter 1 of the Swordflight modules for NWN1 is around 5-ish hours.
If we consider content by chapters we could probably find a lot more that would fit the bill but that is not my intention. It should be complete campaign under 10 h.

Silly Germans

Dex & Nox

Both are extremely entertaining and last around 10 - 20 hours.

Also Silver.

I haven't played Dex, what rpg elements does it feature ? I always thought it was more like an action side scroller. Does it have character development ?

A game that might fit the less than 10 hours bill is The Dwarves, but it is very limited in the character development department and more akin to a tactics game than a full blown rpg.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Dex has character development and it's a fairly charming little game. Too bad the designer passed away. It's not a sidescroller like Rayman or Ghouls & Goblins. It's like Deus Ex, but 2D. Sometimes stealth is viable, but not really.

Shaewaroz

Arcane
Patron
In a hobo shack due to betting on neanderthal
I'm very into cock and ball torture
I haven't played Dex, what rpg elements does it feature ? I always thought it was more like an action side scroller. Does it have character development ?

Dex has pretty complex character development. Multiple different ways to approach combat, sneaking, hacking, cybernetic implants, lots of well-designed quests and NPCs etc. A very high-quality indie game. Excellent ambient soundtrack to boot.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Titan Outpost is pretty short, depending on which ending you go for.

The upcoming Space Wreck (not released yet) is specifically being designed as a short but replayable RPG. Even calls itself an intentionally short RPG in the storefront description.

Unwanted

Sweeper

Unwanted
Zionist Agent
I am looking for "short" rpgs, they should take less than 20 hours to finish without feeling rushed. The shorter the better. Games that fit the bill are for example the Shadowrun Returns and Fallout 1. Let me know if there are some gems that are even shorter and good.
But that sidesteps the greatest thing about RPGs. A good RPG should be like chasing a woman. It starts off a bit awkward but you power through the awkwardness. Eventually you get on good terms with her but she's still playing hard to get. You finally do that one thing right and it's off to the long awaited fuck fest.
See, perfect character and difficulty progression, that eventually rewards you at the end for making the right choices.
And that my dear Codexers, takes time.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I am looking for "short" rpgs, they should take less than 20 hours to finish without feeling rushed. The shorter the better. Games that fit the bill are for example the Shadowrun Returns and Fallout 1. Let me know if there are some gems that are even shorter and good.

I must be slow. Looking at Steam I spent 32 hours on Returns, 40 hours on Dragonfall and 50 hours on Hong Kong.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom