Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Total War Saga: Troy - now on Steam

Dodo1610

Arcane
After seeing gameplay I definitely changed my mind this looks like a knockoff, why does this even exist?

Alexios

Augur
Patron
Oh it's on Epic. Well, eh. I've started to slip in that regard. Gog and Steam both fuck one over anyway so what's one more dick to the body? I got three holes. Five, seven, nine if you get creative.

And it's based on one siege? No big Eastern Mediterranean/Mesopotamian map?

Give:

Hell cut off Arabia and Egypt south of the First Cataract but still.

We need more Bronze Age games but of course they're going to fuck it all up and make it like the movies. I want to see Babylon and the Hittites and Mitanni and Assyrians and Egyptians faf about. Mycenea and Minoa were side shows, comparatively, and Troy was a sideshow of a sideshow.

Pass. EA/Sega whatever is really fapping to the idea of 'heroes fighting heroes and units are sideshow' lately. Warhammer, Three Kingdoms, now this. Boring.

It's a game based on a semi-historical myth about an event that may or may not have ever actually happened. What were you expecting?

A horse of course

https://www.gamespot.com/videos/how-total-war-saga-troy-brings-myth-to-life-in-a-h/2300-6453041/

Go to around 5:30 to see a shot of the faction selecton screen with all the factions

IEF6Yc7.jpg

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Oh it's on Epic. Well, eh. I've started to slip in that regard. Gog and Steam both fuck one over anyway so what's one more dick to the body? I got three holes. Five, seven, nine if you get creative.

And it's based on one siege? No big Eastern Mediterranean/Mesopotamian map?

Give:

Hell cut off Arabia and Egypt south of the First Cataract but still.

We need more Bronze Age games but of course they're going to fuck it all up and make it like the movies. I want to see Babylon and the Hittites and Mitanni and Assyrians and Egyptians faf about. Mycenea and Minoa were side shows, comparatively, and Troy was a sideshow of a sideshow.

Pass. EA/Sega whatever is really fapping to the idea of 'heroes fighting heroes and units are sideshow' lately. Warhammer, Three Kingdoms, now this. Boring.

It's a game based on a semi-historical myth about an event that may or may not have ever actually happened. What were you expecting?

3K and Shogun 2 do a good job with their "mythical realism". This doesn't.

dehimos

Augur
With each new piece of information, I think I'm going to play Chariots Of War before this game.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

The latest in the Total War series introduces new terrain types and has its own take on mythological creatures. Senior Game Designer Milcho Vasilev walks up through a gameplay demo.

A horse of course

Didn't they claim in a previous interview that they weren't doing siege equipment "because it wasn't a thing in the period".

somewhatgiggly

Scholar
Didn't they claim in a previous interview that they weren't doing siege equipment "because it wasn't a thing in the period".

Egyptians already had rams, towers, and ladders are so ancient they go without saying. Mining doesn't seem to be attested until the Romano-Greek era, but seemed mature by then. Rams appear in the Tomb of 11th Dynasty Nomarch Khety, and maybe under a mobile structure as well (it's just painted as a simple line), a Tower seems to appear in the tomb of Intef - so we have Egyptians, who influenced Greece up the wazoo, with Rams and towers by around 1500BC.

Here's another siege relief - we got ladders. Dapur, Ramses II.

Apparently Thutmose besieged Megiddo by building a palisade around it, 1450s BC, which doesn't directly translate to the Direct Assaults we like to play in Vidya, but there's a nice tidbit.

Seems like it fucking was a thing in the period, CA.
Maybe it wasn't attested in the region, but when the Superpower of the day has these things, hundreds of years or decades before the attested time of Troy, I think it's safe to say everyone else had it, too.

And this is just me literally looking up random junk in the last thirty minutes, who knows what can be found by looking beyond the net (which is far from holding everything in the world) to dedicated research.

Last edited:

dehimos

Augur
Egyptians already had rams, towers, and ladders are so ancient they go without saying. Mining doesn't seem to be attested until the Romano-Greek era, but seemed mature by then. Rams appear in the Tomb of 11th Dynasty Nomarch Khety, and maybe under a mobile structure as well (it's just painted as a simple line), a Tower seems to appear in the tomb of Intef - so we have Egyptians, who influenced Greece up the wazoo, with Rams and towers by around 1500BC.

Here's another siege relief - we got ladders. Dapur, Ramses II.

Apparently Thutmose besieged Megiddo by building a palisade around it, 1450s BC, which doesn't directly translate to the Direct Assaults we like to play in Vidya, but there's a nice tidbit.

Seems like it fucking was a thing in the period, CA.
Maybe it wasn't attested in the region, but when the Superpower of the day has these things, hundreds of years or decades before the attested time of Troy, I think it's safe to say everyone else had it, too.

And this is just me literally looking up random junk in the last thirty minutes, who knows what can be found by looking beyond the net (which is far from holding everything in the world) to dedicated research.

And when the best theory about the Trojan horse is that it was a battering ram.

z1GZOxF.png

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Dwarvophile

Liturgist
If only the strategic part is as deep as in TW3K. But then, a TW game taking place all around the Egean see, in antique times but without naval battles ?
And they still have those stupid units running hundreds of meters, at horse speed, while holding their shield above like it(s weightless as a macbook air.

Instead we get... What? People ninja-climbing walls like in Shogun?

Frankly, I had more fun playing siege battles in S2 than in R2TW or Attila. The AI had an easier time at attacking or defending and it was less easy to cheese as player. If you compared attackers and defenders causalties you almost always ended with credible ratios.

Silva

Arcane
Yep, S2 was the most challenging. AI actually knew how to play it, and setup of being placed amid lots of traitorous clans + map full of narrow passageways meant you could see a game over screen at any moment.

I told you people, the real Total War Troy is 1) free, 2) richer in content, 3) with its own spirit:

https://www.moddb.com/mods/troy-total-war/downloads

You forgot

4) built over a game whose AI is the most retardo in entire videogame industry (Rome TW).

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Yep, S2 was the most challenging. AI actually knew how to play it, and setup of being placed amid lots of traitorous clans + map full of narrow passageways meant it was hard to cheese and you could see a game over screen at any moment.

I told you people, the real Total War Troy is 1) free, 2) richer in content, 3) with its own spirit:

https://www.moddb.com/mods/troy-total-war/downloads

You forgot

4) built over a game whose AI is the most retardo in entire videogame industry (Rome TW).
How retarded it is - in the context of the other TW games - only comes to light if the campaign gets really long, which won't normally happen in this mod.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom