Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Demon's Souls Remake

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Ah, but gameplay is only one of many parts of the Souls experience, you know? They could nail it and still lose what made the game special.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
I think another obvious but still very important change is the architectural style:

maLcnm6.jpg
74W7Paj.jpg

PSZygQ6.jpg
Vtsir1B.jpg

Don't get me wrong, Gothic is a beautiful art form. But so is Romanesque.
And like the lighting you can't make such a dramatic change and not expect losing the intention behind the orginal decision.
Plus I half suspect the reason they decided to go with Gothic is because of it's prevalence in other Soul's games (specially Bloodborne and DS3)

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Every Dark Souls game is a rehash of Demon's Souls and Dark Souls 1 falls apart after Anor Londo while Demon's Souls peaks with the latter half of the Boletarian Palace with the False King.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Or the fight against Maiden Astraia!

Though- let's be fair, Gwyn is also a wonderful set piece.

80Maxwell08

Arcane
Can't really say I'm feeling it. I was always worried about a remake/remaster of DeS because how much the game relied on its atmosphere, and I can't think of a single remake/remaster that didn't mess that up in some way. If it brings some gameplay improvements I'll consider it but as for right now, I can't say I care. I'm especially worried about the Tower of Latria and Valley of Defilement.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Latria was a clunky, narrow mess of a level, there, I said it
DeS has that lovely quality where a lot of the time, the environment is just as much your enemy as the actual enemies. It is something the later games lost, along with the weird bosses.

Perkel

Arcane
Especially since DeS did not have retarded bonfire system. The only bonfire you got was the one after you beat boss of location. The only way to shorten level was to find shortcuts.

Imagine going through whole Anor Londo without any bonfires in between start and S&O.

Silva

Arcane
I think another obvious but still very important change is the architectural style:

Don't get me wrong, Gothic is a beautiful art form. But so is Romanesque.
And like the lighting you can't make such a dramatic change and not expect losing the intention behind the orginal decision.
Plus I half suspect the reason they decided to go with Gothic is because of it's prevalence in other Soul's games (specially Bloodborne and DS3)
Now that you say it, I can see how the lower pics look a lot like DS3, while the ones above have their own distinct vibe. Thanks for pointing it out.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Imagine going through whole Anor Londo without any bonfires in between start and S&O.

That's like, 10 seconds of extra walk dude.

Or do you mean having to redo every part, Gargoyle boss, that whole ceiling walk etc? That would be fucking aggravating.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Especially since DeS did not have retarded bonfire system. The only bonfire you got was the one after you beat boss of location. The only way to shorten level was to find shortcuts.

Bonfires in DS1 work well enough. They are scarce and that feeling you get when you finally reach a new one in your first playthrough is incredible. There's a reason why they became so popular in the collective imaginary.

DeS level design is great, but only relying on shortcuts to give the player a new "restarting point" is extremely restrictive and limits the array of challenges that you can face. In a completely interconnected world, it makes sense to place some checkpoints and not have just a single one with the entire level revolving around it. DeS shortcuts are great, but DS1 does a better job at not making its areas feel like separate levels of a videogame.

But, yeah, that whole "woah, this place is huge" that you get in DeS is kind of lost in DS1 and it's a pity.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Every Dark Souls game is a rehash of Demon's Souls and Dark Souls 1 falls apart after Anor Londo while Demon's Souls peaks with the latter half of the Boletarian Palace with the False King.
an advantage of stage-based world.

We're running out of time and the sixth archstone isn't ready? Just cut it.
We're running out of time and Lost Izalith isn't ready? Ugh, we can't just cut an entire location from the interconnected world, guess we'll leave it as it is.

Perkel

Arcane
Bonfires in DS1 work well enough. They are scarce and that feeling you get when you finally reach a new one in your first playthrough is incredible. There's a reason why they became so popular in the collective imaginary.

DeS level design is great, but only relying on shortcuts to give the player a new "restarting point" is extremely restrictive and limits the array of challenges that you can face. In a completely interconnected world, it makes sense to place some checkpoints and not have just a single one with the entire level revolving around it. DeS shortcuts are great, but DS1 does a better job at not making its areas feel like separate levels of a videogame.

But, yeah, that whole "woah, this place is huge" that you get in DeS is kind of lost in DS1 and it's a pity.

Nah, bonfire system fucked. There is nothing good about it. Player should earn bonfire by killing boss only.

Perkel

Arcane

That's like, 10 seconds of extra walk dude.

Or do you mean having to redo every part, Gargoyle boss, that whole ceiling walk etc? That would be fucking aggravating.

Ceiling path opens up elevator shortcut so not really.

You would also have to go via archers and after archers there would be no bonfire, so you would have to do whole side area. And then at the end of your journey in that level you would open side doors and main doors.

Demon's Souls best moments are when you find shortcuts. In Dark Souls shortcuts are marely meh because bonfires are common and usually just before the boss. Later games made them even more common killing even more design.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom