Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline It's Pause For Orders, not Real-Time with Pause

samuraigaiden

Arcane
RPG Wokedex
EZ2mvxnWoAY_ddR

moraes

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Maybe the name changed because the Infinity Engine was originally a RTS engine? So the designers named the thing real time [strategy] with pause. It seems to me the "with pause" clause was added to differentiate the flow of Infinity Engine games from RTSs. But I'm not an RTS player, I'm not sure if RTS games at the time had the pause and give orders mechanics or not.

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Pause for orders sounds better actually, conveys more sense of what it's about.

It's shorter and easier to articulate, sure.
Although, maybe I'm not veri strong in Ingless, but "pause for orders" kind of implies that:

1. You have to pause to issue orders
2. You can pause only for issuing orders

Which is not always the case. So RTwP is both a broader and a more precise definition.

Tigranes

Arcane
That said, maybe calling it PFO would have had less people insist on playing these games entirely in real-time then complaining it's too chaotic.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
RTwP is always inferior to TB or direct real-time. It's like finding something in between two options, but sacrificing good from both.

Like, "I don't want to stay sober, but I don't want to drink alcohol, so I drink non-alcoholic beer instead."

Or, "I want to have some drinks with my buddies, but I don't want us all waiting our turn."

Unwanted

Sweeper

Unwanted
Zionist Agent
Alright, so now that we've got the nomenclature out of the way, can we finally admit the fucking truth?
PfO > TB

DraQ

Arcane

Saerain

Augur
Patron
I've always said it's real-time with queue. Every real-time game fuckin' has pause.

urmom

Learned
When we get all this in order we should pause this thread.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom