Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 1 Thread

Semiurge

Cipher
Contrary to popular belief, most bisexual/gay men don't want to sleep with straight men, trust me. And it's the "aggressively" part that is the negative.

What's so aggressive about it, that he never has sex with men? It's obviously not that he passes judgement on gays, depending on player choices he can at best seem slightly uncomfortable around them (white orchard hunter-homo) but that's a matter of interpretation.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
So, I'm gonna fire up Twitcher 1 in a sec and I actually remembered nobody gave me any advice on mods because white knighting for Geralt was more important apparently. I'm eyeing that combat overhaul mod, is it worth it? Does the hardest difficulty require you to use the proper oils and elixirs for monsters? Yes, I know humans are the biggest monsters in the Witcher universe and that's the point (not a very original one, but hey), you get what I mean.

JDR13

Arcane
So, I'm gonna fire up Twitcher 1 in a sec and I actually remembered nobody gave me any advice on mods because white knighting for Geralt was more important apparently. I'm eyeing that combat overhaul mod, is it worth it? Does the hardest difficulty require you to use the proper oils and elixirs for monsters? Yes, I know humans are the biggest monsters in the Witcher universe and that's the point (not a very original one, but hey), you get what I mean.

The Witcher is definitely meant to be played on Hard, and yes, you will need to use alchemy on that difficulty. Playing on Hard also gets rid of that annoying icon that tells you when to swing to chain attacks, and you instead have to rely on more subtle clues.

No idea about the mod as I've never used it.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
You don't need any mods unless you really find the combat unbearable for some weird reason. From what I understand, the combat mod (FCR?) has a bunch of issues of its own anyway. And yes, definitely play on Hard.

Unmodded hard is still fairly easy if you are a completionist and have any amount of focus on a build. FCR is completely fine and plays well but is still a radical departure and not really suitable for a 1st time playthrough unless you really want a much more action-focused game.

The main difference between the two is that in vanilla Geralt is intended to sort of just sit there next to monsters while he wracks up higher and higher damage from increasingly long combos (needed to defeat enemies that have bloated HP pools), while Geralt himself just has a bunch of HP and can tank significant damage with large amounts of constant healing/damage reduction. It's very rare to die and if you do you usually just do it again with potions active. In FCR everything has low HP and Geralt instead has blocking, but it only works on the front so you have to constantly maneuver around groups because even drowners can almost instantly murder you if they get behind you. Certain bosses and monsters become a bit of an RNG fest though. This is partially due to the fact that the way the game is designed means animations don't necessarily line up with when damage is dealt (which matters in FCR when a single hit can kill you) and partially because status effects become way worse in FCR (even if its something minor you don't care about Geralt stumbles around for a few seconds and WILL die to any enemy in the vicinity stabbing him in the back).

yellowcake

Arcane

Also use this for positional audio (universal alchemy)

https://mega.nz/file/1OwF0QiB#QCXlgNZ5fzppQyqDse-wfjEXsWeRqzNCZlfktgH2-44

Danikas

Arcane
https://www.nexusmods.com/witcher/mods/669
Not a combat mod but I recommend it for great character redesigns, just compare Elfs from vannila to this mod.

Vannila
latest

Mod
Vw717g8.png

Witcher 2
latest

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Ok, well, at least they are distinctive. And don't have fisheyes. I definitely prefer the original ones.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I killed the Beast (very gimmicky fight and there's only 1 way to win on hard) and here are some first impressions - walking, a lot of walking. The combat is weird but also dumb. The climax was a disaster writing-wise. Abigail goes like "hey, that guy raped his girlfriend so she killed herself, that other guy killed his brother and the third guy makes shady deals with bandits. You already know the priest SELLS CHILDREN to the Salamandra. Have fun out there." The fact she knows this and rapid fires you with it really struck me as out of place and even immersion-breaking. It reeks of cut content, like these things were supposed to be found out through clues that weren't implemented. You do get a sense there's something weird with the fat guy who has plants in his yard that only grow on top of buried people, but that's about it. It could've been a pretty good opening zone if hey had allowed you to investigate who is responsible for the Beast. I'm pretty sure the voodoo doll in Abigail's house was there so it could incriminate her had you not found any other clues, but as it stands now it's just there.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom