Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News The Dark Eye: Book of Heroes seems to be The Dark Eye version of Sword Coast Legends

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
What a fucking disaster ahaha.
People in 2.ch are furious about it too lol.

Skdursh

Savant
Sword Coast Legends is actually a pretty decent game though if you aren't going full-retard over the disappointment that was the DM mode. The Dark Eye on the other hand doesn't seem to have any redeeming qualities whatsoever. Also, maybe it wasn't your intention to make it sound like it's what you meant, but SCL didn't have any procedural generation.

Last edited:

karnak

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
Speaking as an old fart who hates all sorts of co-op/multiplayer shit in games I think it serves them right. It were games like Meridian59, Ultima Online and World of Warcraft which truly began the real decline of CRPGs.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I've heard of the PnP but never saw a copy (not even pdf). Some of the reviews say solo is boring more or less.

Losing hair styles....eh?

LBFMZQj.gif

vonAchdorf

Arcane
How to fail:

• Create an RPG for a license known for very grognardy fans - and make it rather simplified to make sure that fanbase won't be satisfied
  • Create an RPG with neither fixed story-protagonist nor proper character creation
  • Advertise with a pretty terrible trailer with barely any gameplay
  • Release an early access game as a finished title
  • Fail to come even close to a very obvious "competitor" - even if that competitor is more than 10 years old (Drakensang)
  • Copy the formula of a very well known desaster
Someone at a rather high level in their team failed very hard, this outcome could have easily been prevented.

They were upfront about what the game wants to be and the result is exactly what was promised. There's no false marketing involved. The problem is that people didn't want what was promised, but hoped for a more RoA / Drakensang like game.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
They were upfront about what the game wants to be and the result is exactly what was promised. There's no false marketing involved. The problem is that people didn't want what was promised, but hoped for a more RoA / Drakensang like game.
Not false marketing, no, but this is very much a "read the room" situation.
Had they not used the TDE ruleset/world, I'd bet a lot the reception would have been much better (even if certainly not perfect, given all the present issues).

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Not false marketing, no, but this is very much a "read the room" situation.

Yes, they made a game which no one wanted. Procedural content generation and TDE lore fags don't get along very well. And you need 3 more friends to really play the game because the AI henchmen suck. TDE fans are all old farts with a family - if they have a couple of hours of free time, they'd probably rather play the PnP.

Had they not used the TDE ruleset/world, I'd bet a lot the reception would have been much better (even if certainly not perfect, given all the present issues).

Without the license, I don't think this game would have gotten much attention at all. Who cares about a crappy co-op game with clunky mechanics and average graphics. With the TDE license, people can at least look for and find familiar stuff in the game.

V_K

Arcane
Procedural content generation and TDE lore fags don't get along very well.
Yeah, I don't know about that. Overworld exploration in RoA was mostly procedural, yet it's one of the best parts of the game. The real problem is their algorithms are very simplistic - if they managed to pull off something like Unexplored, that could be a great game.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Procedural content generation and TDE lore fags don't get along very well.
Yeah, I don't know about that. Overworld exploration in RoA was mostly procedural, yet it's one of the best parts of the game. The real problem is their algorithms are very simplistic - if they managed to pull off something like Unexplored, that could be a great game.

RoA came out almost 3 decades ago - times have changed. Now you are dealing with people who complain that the Ingerim Temple in some obscure village with 50 inhabitants is described as having two marble columns, when everyone knows that in publication XY from 1994 it's clearly stated that the temple has four granite columns.

But yes, I think procedural content could work, but they want a better story arc than the 8 origin quests.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I put it on my wishlist just because I put everything remotely decent on my wishlist, but I doubt I'll ever buy this unless it goes to a discount below 5 bucks. Pretty much every single feature of this puts me off:

- Procedural generation (meh... can be ok, but it's always inferior to hand-made levels)
- Not being able to control companions (this is one of the main reasons why I hate NWN's combat)
- Co-op focus, so to get the intended experience you need to convince 3 friends to play with you... and I'd much rather play TDE in pen and paper with my friends instead

Andhaira

Arcane
They are patching the game to bring down the bugs.

Played it some more today, had fun. Rolled a priest of Boron which made the undead missions REAAAAALLY easy thanks to the Minor Undead Ban spell. Also someone on the steam forums looked into the files and it seems the Lightning Strike spell/chant for priests of rondra made it into the game. :incline:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom