Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dwarf Fortress now on Steam with a graphical overhaul

Cool video. The emergent gameplay is fascinating as always.

Graphical overhaul? More like ideological overhaul, am I rite guys?

Never confuse the art and the artist. This is actually what the SJWs do now, trying to cancel all the great historical writers or whatever, because they were racist by modern standards, but it's obviously stupid, and so would be not liking/supporting Dwarf Fortress because he went retardo on the whole police defunding thing. At the end of the day, Dwarf Fortress is true video game art, and if it ever gets finished, THE game of all games (partially because every other game will probably procedurally emerge in it at some point :) ).

Bibbimbop

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
partially because every other game will probably procedurally emerge in it at some point :)

That would bring on the Gaypocalypse due to a resonance cascade of homosexuality.

Everyone in DF is 10 times gayer than real life, so all the games that procedurally emerge in DF would be 10 times gayer than real games. Eventually even DF would procedurally emerge in the world created by DF, only 10 times gayer than DF, thus 100 times gayer than real life. And that really gay DF would eventually create... and on and on till the multiverse is prolapsed like a rainbow-colored anus.

You do realize DF comes with XML config files where you can customize pretty much any aspect of it? Set your gay rate to 0, and build fortresses in a world without any art. I mean also, we are all sitting here on computers, which were sort of invented by a gay man.

dehimos

Augur
X2iBeZC.png

He is not really autistic, people think he is being autistic with DF design (by implementing a shitload of seemingly unrelated features) but only because they do not understand what he and his brother are trying to do with DF. They think of it as some sort of strategy game, or fortress game, or adventure game.

DF is none of those things. It is a fantasy world simulator. As in, it is an engine to generate and support gameplay in unique procedural fantasy worlds. One world might randomly turn out to be Middle Earth (or something similar), another Westeros, another the world of European folklore, and so on.

So what he and his brother did, before starting developing DF, is they sat down and created various fantasy stories to try to determine what kind of features their game would need to procedurally create those stories during gameplay. That's where the insane 30 year long feature list comes from. It is perfectly logical, and the correct way, if anything, to address procedural games.

Humanophage

Arcane
Never confuse the art and the artist. This is actually what the SJWs do now, trying to cancel all the great historical writers or whatever, because they were racist by modern standards, but it's obviously stupid, and so would be not liking/supporting Dwarf Fortress because he went retardo on the whole police defunding thing. At the end of the day, Dwarf Fortress is true video game art, and if it ever gets finished, THE game of all games (partially because every other game will probably procedurally emerge in it at some point :) ).
There is a difference between demanding that something is cancelled and being too disgusted to enjoy the thing. What can be more cuckish than this? It's yucky, like someone smeared it with a smidgen of faeces and it will take a while before you can use it again, even though technically the thing is clean.
06/01/2020
toadyone.png
Here's the monthly report, and the Future of the Fortress. Sorry for the outages over the last few days. Our site and the Dwarf Fortress File Depot may still be on and offline a bit while we migrate to a new hosting company.

toadyone.png
threetoe.png
While the protests against the murder of George Floyd and police brutality, and the ensuing police riot, continue in this country, we don't want to be silent, nor do we want to make a generic brand statement. So, specifically, we support efforts to defund the police, as well as those to minimize and abolish incarceration. No amount of protection afforded to white people is worth the horror we continue to perpetuate in this country against millions in marginalized communities. Black lives matter.

It's likely those of you that want to contribute to relevant funds have located some already. We've given to Rebuild Lake Street, the BLM Seattle Freedom Fund, and Reclaim the Block. Minnesota Freedom Fund will be linking additional organizations as well.

Last edited:

Johannes

Arcane
There is a difference between demanding that something is cancelled and being too disgusted to enjoy the thing. What can be more cuckish than this? It's yucky, like someone smeared it with a smidgen of faeces and it will take a while before you can use it again, even though technically the thing is clean.
06/01/2020
toadyone.png
Here's the monthly report, and the Future of the Fortress. Sorry for the outages over the last few days. Our site and the Dwarf Fortress File Depot may still be on and offline a bit while we migrate to a new hosting company.

toadyone.png
threetoe.png
While the protests against the murder of George Floyd and police brutality, and the ensuing police riot, continue in this country, we don't want to be silent, nor do we want to make a generic brand statement. So, specifically, we support efforts to defund the police, as well as those to minimize and abolish incarceration. No amount of protection afforded to white people is worth the horror we continue to perpetuate in this country against millions in marginalized communities. Black lives matter.

It's likely those of you that want to contribute to relevant funds have located some already. We've given to Rebuild Lake Street, the BLM Seattle Freedom Fund, and Reclaim the Block. Minnesota Freedom Fund will be linking additional organizations as well.
I don't care so much about somebody having different politics than me, but when somebody's living off the donations of others it doesn't sit right with me that they're just donating the money ahead to something else.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I bet once DF will be released on STEAM it still won't have proper mouse support or UI.
Of course not.
Because you would have to be a complete moron to want to play a game with a nice and easy control scheme and UI without having to memorize an entire keyboard worth of shortcuts.

Just git gud and learn the ridiculously cumbersome controls, man!

Incantatar

Cipher
I bet once DF will be released on STEAM it still won't have proper mouse support or UI.
Of course not.
Because you would have to be a complete moron to want to play a game with a nice and easy control scheme and UI without having to memorize an entire keyboard worth of shortcuts.

Yes, but unironically.

And for those who don't want gay cave dragons and gay turkeys (nothing personal against gays ;) ) look at my post for a bash script to make creatures straight. https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.p...rf-fortress-thread.108912/page-8#post-6646402

Johannes

Arcane
Of course not.

Yes, but unironically.

And for those who don't want gay cave dragons and gay turkeys (nothing personal against gays ;) ) look at my post for a bash script to make creatures straight. https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.p...rf-fortress-thread.108912/page-8#post-6646402
Bash them straight :obviously:

Mortmal

Arcane
Wont give any money to this guy nor anyone affiliated . Got lifetime ban from his forums after linking ktoc 2 kickstarter and he doesnt even asnwer to my mail. There's lot better and friendlier indies dev around.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Sure but at this point ist's a show where old boxer comes to ring with young ones and everyone want to see if he'll be punched to a pulp or actually could manage to deliver several hits before going down. main offensive here is the existence of RimWorld - Tynan showed people that you can have complexity and somehow manageable UI. Without simulating fingernails and thoughts about genders or artifacts or other useless shit.

Casual Hero

Augur
WZd9bL4.png

Dwarf Fortress is literally about to change forever. It's hard to imagine it will a proper UI. I'm almost sad to see the keyboard controls go. No more using "q" over all of your workshops, spending minutes trying to scrawl out digging commands with the arrow keys, and spending five minutes trying to parse through dwarf labors.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
WZd9bL4.png

Dwarf Fortress is literally about to change forever. It's hard to imagine it will a proper UI. I'm almost sad to see the keyboard controls go. No more using "q" over all of your workshops, spending minutes trying to scrawl out digging commands with the arrow keys, and spending five minutes trying to parse through dwarf labors.
I hope DF will still be fully playable using keyboard only. I really like to play on keyboard without a mouse. Completed Gothics this way even. Mice suck.

My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
WZd9bL4.png

I hope DF will still be fully playable using keyboard only. I really like to play on keyboard without a mouse. Completed Gothics this way even. Mice suck.

I too enjoy having an actual vim-like keyboard for the game. It's much nicer for playing on a laptop. I do worry that they'll run into the problem of trying to support two modes of a complex interface and just making a mess of both.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom