Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Elder Scrolls Online - gone B2P

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Everything level scaled until the end game killed this game for me and it was not a terrible MMO. Imagine not caring about items and levels in MMO for the first 100 hours was deliberate design choice.:badnews:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Imagine not caring about items and levels in MMO for the first 100 hours was deliberate design choice.

It was apparently a fantastic choice since vast majority of people utterly love it.

"I can go anywhere in the world on level 1 yay". The same kind of people who always bitch a game is "railroaded" if you can't jog to the final boss straight from the starting point in 5 minutes.

Sometimes mentally healthy people should not even try to comprehend certain things.

Psquit

Arcane
Yep. The level scaled aspect of the world content makes questing quite tedious, some quests are fine (Deadric wars saga was peak ESO). PvE veteran and PvP is what will test your build and your patience. Also, Dps is bound by animation canceling if you are a PVE person and you have 250 - 300 ping, welcome to support role you ain't gonna do damage in veteran dungeons.

Loriac

Arcane
Just got into ESO a couple of weeks ago myself, started a few characters to try out different classes and think I'm gonna run a dunmer dk as my main until I get bored of the game.

Can understand from a purist point of view that level scaling is not good in an rpg, but tbh I don't really see mmorpgs as 'rpgs' in any real sense. Looking at it purely as an action game with a bit of character customisation thrown in, the level scaling keeps the difficulty level to a minimum floor at least (however, eso overland seems ridiculously easy once you get the hang of the idiosyncracies of the engine, such as light attack weaving). Am expecting the difficulty to ramp up on veteran and dlc content, but expect it may take a few weeks to get to that stage.

Codex Year of the Donut
The quests are fun and the game is worth playing if you like TES lore.
The PvP is surprisingly good, especially the cyrodiil area. The 3 factions rather than 2 adds a much more interesting dynamic because the two weaker factions often work together.
I did a lot of the dungeon content and most of it was well designed. I never did any of the raids though.

TBH I had the most fun playing as a healer(warden) which is what I did most of the content as. I simply didn't find playing as damage fun because it was so reliant upon repeating the same rotations and animation canceling abuse.
It's not a bad MMO by any stretch, but it would be way better with a way to do open world veteran content or something because it's too easy as is which just makes it boring.

Also, the addon API is extensive and there are a lot of addons.

Psquit

Arcane
The problem is that the rewards for veteran content in dungeons and trials are endgame gear, gold, skins, etc. They would have to gib more shit for the veteran world questing, most of the time when you finish a chain questline the reward is 120 gold with a scroll of x2 XP gain... Besides the retards that play only world quests and dolmens can't even solo a normal dungeon, let alone finish a quest.

Ulysa

Scholar
I'm sure it was mentioned in this thread, but playing Morrowind story and specially Clockwork City is well worth the price. Summerset chapter has great quests too.

I recommend Memory Stone and Gnisis quest in Vvardenfell. And Astronomer quest in CWC gives you an interesting insight in Sotha Sil's memories.

Morrowind is included in base game and CWC is a dlc you buy apart or included in subscription.

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Again we have yet another combat focused mmo where the combat is piss easy, floaty garbage. Sick trailer with le epic vampire lord then you encounter him in game and press "1-2-1-2" and some level 1337 no-life runs in and 1-shots the guy for you. Hope he dropped an epic loot

People wonder why a genre, whose content consists of 95% combat and 5% costume collecting, and has the worst combat gaming has ever seen, is failing. hmm

ok this is crack

first time player rolling a high elf but i think i fucked up

started out want to larp a archer but im finding the staff is more fun so i have wasted about three skill points in archery

level 8 atm should i reroll

dont judge me

game is fun

lolling everytime the banker is overrun with furries at vivec

Generic-Giant-Spider

This game gives you a lot of skill points and you can respec them out if you really want to so don't worry too much about it.

Also start researching for crafting ASAP.

Generic-Giant-Spider

first time player rolling a high elf but i think i fucked up

started out want to larp a archer

Also I think Wood Elf is better for an archer style. Bows can do a shitload of damage in PVP as a gank style of gameplay (you want to go Nightblade with a focus on Stamina/Stamina-based skill morphs) and last I checked Bows were an important part of Stamina based rotations in PVE.

High Elf is much better suited for Magicka so switching to Staves and focusing on that is likely for the best if you're jiving with that gameplay. It doesn't ultimately matter if you're playing ESO for the fun of it as the racials won't make/break what you go (I went Argonian as a Stamblade and rolled Nord characters before they reviewed their racials) but if you're a min/max type of guy then you'd probably want to know that.

You could also go Khajit for good Stamina based racials... but they're furfags. Breton also make great Magicka users.

Also-also, I don't think we share the same "megaserver" since you're in NZ but if you ever wanted to become a vampire I would happily give you a free infection. Vampire is decent for Magicka these days too. Some people charge gold or crafting stuff for vampirism which is scumbaggery and finding the bloodfiend NPCs can be a bit of a pain in the ass (you have to go to certain zones during night hours and look for bloodfiends and let them hit you until you get the affliction to start the chain but they are fairly rare and some people intentionally kill them to keep trying to sell their vampirism off).

The alternative to this is going to a vampiric shrine and standing there and hoping some cool guy randomly sucks your blood.

Last edited by a moderator:

Darkwind

Liturgist
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Again we have yet another combat focused mmo where the combat is piss easy, floaty garbage. Sick trailer with le epic vampire lord then you encounter him in game and press "1-2-1-2" and some level 1337 no-life runs in and 1-shots the guy for you.

Pretty much this. All MMOs have become very stale because of the cost and risk aversion (which I get) from big publishers to bankroll them. But so long as everyone followed the 2006 WoW model over & over you get more of the same static crap. ESO at least wraps that static crap in a nice world to explore. However, its combat is shit-tier and I've never played an MMO with more generic classes / abilities and I have played a hell of a lot of them over the years.

Your sparkly effects are a different color but its the same 5 abilities in either Stamina or Magicka for each character. Buff, Dmg shield, DOT, spammable, Ult. Or some small permutation of that. By retards, for retards. But that seems to be the way of gaming in general these days as has been expressed here millions of times. *shrug*

Humanophage

Arcane
I don't even understand the point of having classes if you're just going to make them 99% the same with different colored abilities.
The classes are just skill lines and a relatively minor part of it all, especially if you are a stamina char. You may almost never use class skills, but instead focus on weapon skills, for example. The actual "classes" in the sense of what you do are the collection of skill lines that you prioritise. This is an advantage over regular MMOs which allow for little creativity and closer to the spirit of Ultima Online, where you can get your own odd mixes depending on the skills.

There is a lot of build diversity in PvP and some class disbalance - e.g., Sorcs are generally overpowered because of the lightning dash skill.

Codex Year of the Donut
I don't even understand the point of having classes if you're just going to make them 99% the same with different colored abilities.
The classes are just skill lines and a relatively minor part of it all, especially if you are a stamina char. You may almost never use class skills, but instead focus on weapon skills, for example. The actual "classes" in the sense of what you do are the collection of skill lines that you prioritise. This is an advantage over regular MMOs which allow for little creativity and closer to the spirit of Ultima Online, where you can get your own odd mixes depending on the skills.
Yes, but why even bother having classes if they're meaningless?
They took the coward's way out in balancing by making everything equal and therefore boring.

Humanophage

Arcane
Yes, but why even bother having classes if they're meaningless?
They took the coward's way out in balancing by making everything equal and therefore boring.
They aren't meaningless at all as exclusive skill lines. For instance, only nightblades have a proper invisibility spell. Only sorcs have the extreme mobility spell with stun. Dragon knights are much more tanky than others and have a close combat AoE ultimate that closes the gap and enables close combat, which people love so much they barely use other ults as a DK. Necromancers have a huge AoE nuke. They aren't especially balanced either, depending on what you do. Say, stamina nightblades are trash for battleground PvP.

"Class" is mainly just a technical name. Members of the same class can be completely dissimilar and even the opposite of what the formal concept of the class might suggest. E.g., a strong melee beefy "sorcerer" with a two-handed sword may still benefit from the lightning dash, even if it eats up all of his meagre mana. There are many skill lines apart from the class skill lines which may just as well define what your character is.

ADL

Prophet
I just started a new character (magsorc) and I'm enjoying the overworld PvE content while I can before I hit max level and start one shotting everything. Finished Greymoor's story, it was a solid 7.5/10 definitely worst chapter of all of them but still good.

Magsorc is fun but I do prefer my stamden for PvP. We'll see how I feel about the magsorc in trials.

Funposter

Arcane
bought this because a friend and I agreed to on a coin flip. playing as a kitty necromancer. Morrowind expansion being covered in mushrooms made me chimp out.

Gerrard

Arcane
Too bad that Vvardenfell is the same exact size as it was in TES3, compared to the scale of the rest of the world it feels incredibly cramped with all the people running around.

Gerrard

Arcane
Improved grass distance, how about improved view distance in general? It's not as bad as Morrowind but still pretty bad for [current year].
Yay the game won't look like shit anymore soon

They are making another MMO as well? What the fuck.

Generic-Giant-Spider

Better graphics means nothing if Cyrodiil is still unplayable at peak hours.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom