Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Scam Citizen - Only people with too much money can become StarCitizens! WOULD YOU LIKE TO KNOW MORE?

Myobi

Liturgist
ihzqgWq.png

vrvfvu8y7p051.png

:hmmm:

Oh, good old MMO-Champion ~ the moderation there is a true joy.

Kenn, Anderson and Odeezee are the MvPs on the Star Citizen thread over there, it’s almost hard to believe that they don’t even get paid to post such an intense shilling, it’s unbelievable.

Higher Game

Arcane
Minor dips into the 20s/max settings years prior to a 1.0 release running on a $100 GPU is perfectly acceptable.

It's fine for space trucking, but for twitchy Freespace 2 style Battle of Endor remakes on 3 4k monitors, well... :prosper:

This isn't a GPU issue. Such slowdowns happen because SC tries to cram too much data into your PC, which means vast amounts of data need to be loaded during planetary transition or when you move in 1st person mode. They have a fundamental problem with unrealistic ideas how their seemless world can work on current gen PC.

This is a problem known from all geodata applications. It's not about 3d graphics but how fast data gets loaded, so related to CPU/RAM/Mainboard and especially your storage device. What baffles me about seeing such slowdowns is that this problem has already been solved (sort of) by flight simulators. Instead of halting until data is processed they simply display no data while the simulation moves on. That means if your harddisk and RAM are too slow, you would see bare, untextured patches on the plane. This isn't pretty but the only way this is endurable if you run a sim on insuficient hardware.

Unreal Engine 5 is also supposed to be SSD limited. Hmm.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Unreal Engine 5 is also supposed to be SSD limited. Hmm.

I think that the coming revolution in computing will be superfast storage devices like Intel Optane. A lot of problems will automatically go away if storage becomes almost as fast as RAM (including random access).

We also still need a new generation of mainboards and chipsets for that, with a bus that can handle this amount of data without slowing down other components or use CPU time.

But in a few years it could become normal that games have no or only very brief loading times.

This is the silver lining on the horizon for projects like SC that bit off more than they chew.

Myobi

Liturgist
The way it is going, by the time SC commercial releases, we should have access to quantum computing, therefore none of that shit should matter.

urmom

Learned
This isn't a GPU issue. Such slowdowns happen because SC tries to cram too much data into your PC, which means vast amounts of data need to be loaded during planetary transition or when you move in 1st person mode. They have a fundamental problem with unrealistic ideas how their seemless world can work on current gen PC.
They are waiting to release the game when everyone's hardware is good enough to do all this. Still a few generations to go.

Myobi

Liturgist
"Elevator Panel Updates" what the actual fuck am I even looking at... why is something like this on the roadmap, wtf.

AN4RCHID

Arcane
"Elevator Panel Updates" what the actual fuck am I even looking at... why is something like this on the roadmap, wtf.
They're implementing their new version of interactive in-game UI screens. In this update they're adding it to ship HUDs; next update, elevator panels. Up until now all their in-game UI buttons and panels have been special-case makeshift solutions that weren't easy to customize or re-purpose. Elevator UI in particular sucked balls because it used the old "inner thought" system of floating text options.

AN4RCHID

Arcane
So codex. Is it time for me to buy it ?
I'd say probably wait and check in again at the end of the year. They've made a lot of progress in the last couple years but there are still a lot of network and interface issues, and gameplay is still fairly sparse. Crashes are less frequent than they used to be, but they still happen. The flight model has been changing a lot and it's not in a great place at the moment. AI is actually getting pretty decent, but it gets hung up and unresponsive when the servers are bogged down.

They have built out quite a few locations so if you just want to do some sight-seeing, space trucking, and 'making your own fun' in the sandbox, it might be worth it now.

AN4RCHID

Arcane
55$

Is getting in game money enough to buy ships ?
Yes, smaller ships anyway. You'll be able to pick up a rover or hover bike within a week of running delivery missions. The higher end ships are very expensive and wouldn't be practical for a normal player at this point.

If you do buy in, make sure you start with a ship with some cargo capacity. Of the starter packs, the Mustang Alpha is better than the Aurora.

Perkel

Arcane
So codex. Is it time for me to buy it ?
Oh,it is perfect for you. You clearly have more money than brains. Go for it,you will enjoy it,after all you even enjoy EPIC.

Were some of us have money to go to McDonald and are not poor like you.

Yes, smaller ships anyway. You'll be able to pick up a rover or hover bike within a week of running delivery missions. The higher end ships are very expensive and wouldn't be practical for a normal player at this point. If you do buy in, make sure you start with a ship with some cargo capacity. Of the starter packs, the Mustang Alpha is better than the Aurora.

Wait whole week of grind just to buy bike ?

giphy.gif

Does those missions scale up ? I mean if whole week is required for bike then i assume something like Freelancer you need to grind a year or two if those mission rewards are the same.

Giving money to that fat fucking moron should be criminalized.

Well we can all laugh at people who but it, even if it includes me. I bought Wolcen recently so yeah.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom