Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress [LP CYOA] Tower

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
duh

guys, with our CHA 3 burnt face we're obviously (TM) meant to be the phantom in this lavish opera

Christine, you faithless tart

C You try to quietly search for an entrance on the ground floor

(man, this reminds me of AoD Teron palace infiltration - good times with lotsa critical strike training to be had - Big Bad "let sleeping gods lie" urdupupper would approve)

Tigranes

Arcane
She’s in a dream.

It’s up to us to wake her.
Probably, but I'd like to point out that our dream with Uridimmu ended on its own. So maybe the point is to do something before the dream concludes.

And seeing how the challenges are normally completed solo (and we only got to invade another's courtesy of DEMONZ), and it is her dream, it is likely that she needs to be the one to undertake the action that would either take us out or fulfill the conditions.

In which case blatant opposition to the dream narrative would only see us kicked out as a foreign body, and not much else.

I am recalling similar dream sequences from EPIC (where not going along with mini-me failed the win condition and doomed Earth) and Spiral (where total acceptance or total rejection of the dream were game ending states). The latter is a good example, actually - we knew it was a dream, but had to act as if it were real because we weren't in control of leaving it.

This seems the most sensible. A solo illusion is designed to give Sophie the key to overcoming it, and we can help by finding out more. But it probably also does good to ensure we're near her & can keep track.

C > D

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
D>C

If we went with the stealth option, we would literally be set to infiltrate this place, but no, we had to go with the shield with way less utility. Whatever, salt mode off.

I don't think bursting in would be very prudent, that's liable to make Sophie furious and embarrassed. We should be respectful and try to pull her aside to talk some sense. If this was Elizabeth, I'd be all for bursting into the window, but knowing what we know about Sophie's personality, it's highly unlikely she'll respond to something like that. I get it, it's the meme option, but let's please try to be semi-serious about this. I'd prefer to Roleplay an interesting and nuanced story versus one where we just do stupid shit for the memes.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
...can anyone sell me on D?

Discounting the badass scale of the castle walls which will remain unnoticed by the princess... are there benefits to getting to the second floor bypassing the 1st? We won't fit with the guests, but maybe we would be able to find a servant uniform and pass for staff, or talk to the staff, or otherwise make the best impression of "we were always here, we belong here" which we might not be able to do if anyone sees us coming in from the ground floor.

I don't know how much relevance this might have to the follow up, but it might be something to consider?

Plus, it's a guaranteed way in. We don't know ourselves what we'd find with C.

Is anyone here concerned about a chance of falling? Spiral disillusioned me about climbing checks, and we have a lame leg... but we should still be pretty skilled for all the practice we had climbing trees.

Last edited:

Baltika9

Arcane
Discounting the badass scale of the castle walls which will remain unnoticed by the princess... are there benefits to getting to the second floor bypassing the 1st? We won't fit with the guests, but maybe we would be able to find a servant uniform and pass for the staff, or talk to the staff, or otherwise make the best impression of "we were always here, we belong here" which we might not be able to do if anyone sees us coming in from the ground floor.

I'm pretty even on C and D, actually. However, I expect C to be the option that leads us to the servant's quarters (kitchen, laundry, etc...), while D will be the option that will lead us to the private quarters, library and study of the manor. I favor this option because it may provide us with some context to the situation. We may even find the groom (Andrew is the likeliest candidate) to to be sneaking off with *gasp* that tart Elizabeth.

As far as blending in with the staff goes, I don't think that it's possible with our facial scars.

...can anyone sell me on D?
Climb the window right now and you'll get a complementary staff uniform absolutely free! Yes, you heard that right, absolutely free!

But wait, there's more!

Climb within the next 24 hours and you may also get a complimentary adorable puppy!*

:grpg:

*We are not responsible for any maiming, burning, perforation-by-tail or other means, soul-devouring, or the mass slaughter of Elves committed by any puppy we, the Baltic Trade Company,** supply.

**Further, the Baltic Trade Company makes no guarantee that any actual staff uniforms or puppies will be supplied. The customer is responsible for any and all incurred losses or spurned expectations.

Last edited:

Tigranes

Arcane
Well, if D is the Disguise & Infiltrate option, we'd be taking a Charisma Route with an anti-Charisma build. Whereas we're decent at sneaking and pathfinding.

Orbit

Scholar
Well, if D is the Disguise & Infiltrate option, we'd be taking a Charisma Route with an anti-Charisma build. Whereas we're decent at sneaking and pathfinding.
D is the option to bypass guards and doormen. C for having fun with laxatives in the kitchen.

Nevill

Arcane
Alright, let's see where we are at.

ERYFKRAD A
Kalarion A
hello friend A>C>D

Kz3r0 B

Nevill C
Azira C
CappenVarra C
Grimgravy C
Tigranes C>D

Baltika9 D
Orbit D
ItsChon D>C
Lambchop19 D>B
ChumBucket D
Kipeci D

oscar E>D

Tally:
A - 3 (2)
B - 1
C - 5 (6)
D - 6 (7)
E - 1 (0)

Last edited:

Baltika9

Arcane
Why are we going through the bottom door? If we want to stay anonymous until we figure the situation out, then it would make more sense to go to the top floor where there's (probably) fewer people.

Btw, I need to make a shoutout to Esquilax for having the foresight to have Wrinkly read Jane Austen novels. We wouldn't be lost if we followed his advice.

ChumBucket

Augur
Switching back to D, will revert to C if we get in a tie again.
If we want to stay anonymous until we figure the situation out, then it would make more sense to go to the top floor where there's (probably) fewer people.
I agree, just wanted to not end up in a tie on what appears to be less critical choice.

Last edited:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Locking votes to D. D for ound... round... ground... the ground, I wonder if it'll be friends with you.

Nevill

Arcane
Btw, I need to make a shoutout to Esquilax for having the foresight to have Wrinkly read Jane Austen novels. We wouldn't be lost if we followed his advice.
Eh, just wait until we have to 1v1 a giant mechanical tripod for the secret option to sneeze on it.

Edit. We fall? Oh no, not again. :negative:
And here I thought being a hunter would be our saving grace.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Dude, gloating is unnecessary. Climbing is not even a skill to be a consideration, and our character was shown to be climbing trees as a matter of course (or rather, survival) with his leg not causing any trouble.
You decide to take up her suggestion and turn in for the night. Out of habit, you clamber up the nearest tree and position yourself comfortably against a suitable branch. You had learnt to sleep like this after more than a few nights where your former master had left you lost in the woods. It was safer than sleeping on the ground, as far as you are concerned.
If we fell, I'd think it's because something made us fall, because I would expect us to make that climb if we were unimpeded.

Which, fair enough, we should have considered. Whenever there are heights involved, falling off is a risk.

Nevill

Arcane
Hm. Can falling damage be reinterpreted as a sneak attack from the ground? It sure has a hefty backstab modifier!

I don't think I could stomach another "the cool sequence ends before it even begins", so I hope we are found by the mansion staff and taken in to be treated after the fall, and only lose the cool points.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom