Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RTS Command & Conquer Remastered Collection from Petroglyph

Naraya

Arcane
What's the point of remastering
<Insert Give me dem dollah bills picture>
Well, I kinda meant apart from that :lol:
Yeah, I think in this case the point was to satisfy the nostalgia. They specifically asked for what people want and from what I understand - people specifically asked them for #nochanges apart from remastered graphics and audio. :roll:

catfood

AGAIN
Apparently they considered adding in attack move but then they realized that the game would be playing by itself. Which is probably true, since these old C&C games have always been very simplistic.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
I see the point, but updating the game so that units would attack at their range instead of bumping their dicks into enemy and dying from their own attacks would be... well, let's say it would've been a welcomed change.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
What's the point of remastering
<Insert Give me dem dollah bills picture>
Well, I kinda meant apart from that :lol:
Yeah, I think in this case the point was to satisfy the nostalgia. They specifically asked for what people want and from what I understand - people specifically asked them for #nochanges apart from remastered graphics and audio. :roll:
I do somewhat understand that, given the desaster that was the WC3 remaster.
But still, it seems like such a no-brainer to me to also fix glaring issues while you are at it - you can still leave the old pathfinding and lack of attack-move in for the purists.

Apparently they considered adding in attack move but then they realized that the game would be playing by itself. Which is probably true, since these old C&C games have always been very simplistic.
Eh, I don't know. The AI does have attack-move (by not having the limitation of attention a human has), so it would definitely make the game more fair.
And online it wouldn't matter as the change would be available to everyone.
It would make the campaign easier, I guess. So I can somewhat see the point there - but again, just leave a classic mode in for purists.

Also, that is only attack move, pathfinding is just as annoying.

Black

Arcane
You can sorta attack move with some units like tanks or destroyers by clicking on an enemy unit, holding Q and clicking to move your units. This will cause them to fire at their target while moving to where you direct them.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...ns-can-finally-see-its-weird-ufo-tile-clearly

25 years later, Command & Conquer fans can finally see its weird UFO tile for what it was meant to be
Unit embossed.

Command & Conquer fans spent over a decade wondering whether a mysterious, poorly-rendered tile depicted a crashed UFO. Now, with the release of the remaster of the seminal real-time strategy game, they can see this infamous UFO tile clearly for the first time.

Mission three of the GDI campaign contains an odd-looking tile west of the cliff in the starting area. In the 1995 game, this pixelated piece of virtual battlefield was difficult to identify. Players thought it looked like a crashed UFO, or a Scrin ship (in Command & Conquer, the Scrin are a technologically advanced race suspected to have originally seeded Earth with Tiberium using a meteor). And so for years the tile was thought to be some sort of alien craft.

jpg

But it is not a UFO - at least, it was not meant to be. In 2007, 13 years after Command & Conquer came out, developers at Petroglyph, the studio founded by former staff at original developer Westwood Studios and developer of the remaster, revealed the tile was in fact meant to depict a helicopter crash.

"The artist that created that particular piece and I had a talk about this very issue once, so I'm simply relaying what he told me about it," Adam Isgreen, who was a designer at Westwood Studios and now works at Microsoft on Age of Empires, revealed on the Petroglyph forum 13 years ago (redditor Nyerguds rounded up all the relevant comments in a useful post on the Command & Conquer subreddit dated one year ago).

"It's the canopy of a wrecked helicopter.

"He was very amused by all the theories as to just exactly what it really was, but it isn't a UFO or a Scrin ship. It's a helicopter canopy. It was there since C&C (DOS)."

Brilliantly, the Nintendo 64 version of Command & Conquer, which came out in 1999, remodelled the tile as a tiny spaceship because, according to former Westwood senior artist Joseph B. Hewitt IV, "the artist that did the conversion just went off what the terrain art looked like."

"I'm sure he didn't have any idea either," Hewitt revealed in the same 2007 thread on Petroglyph's forum.

"I think that all might have been outsourced but I could be wrong. I remember touching up some of the interface art, but don't remember anything about who did the terrain, buildings and units."

jpg

The UFO tile in the Nintendo 64 version of Command & Conquer. Image credit redditor Nyerguds.

Now, with the release of the Command & Conquer remaster, we can see this tile redone by Petroglyph - and it looks like the canopy of a crashed helicopter, as originally intended.

jpg

But the tile's origins as a supposed mystery UFO crash site - one that went unexplained for 13 years - have not been forgotten. And so, perhaps inevitably, a modder has tweaked the Command & Conquer remaster so this re-done tile is re-done as a crashed UFO, as people thought it was 25 years ago.

jpg

Steam Workshop user NightShadow02, alongside redditor Nyerguds created the UFO Tile mod as a "silly and glorious piece of misinformation". The Command & Conquer community has taken notice, and is having fun with it.

"I always thought that thing was a toilet tbh," wrote redditor Odarien.

Dayyālu

Arcane
What say you Codex? Would you trust Petroglyph to do a new command & conquer?

They redid the same game for the last decades, you know?

Empire At War was one of the best Star Wars games of its age. As a pure RTS it's middling at best, Spesh Battles are better than Land (sure, they're essentially 2d but they play better and have no delusions of being Homeworld or anything).

Universe at War had a killer soundtrack and some interesting ideas. I liked the Evil Guy campaign. Dead in a week.

Grey Goo was adequate. Dead in a week.

8-bit Armies was mediocre. Dead in a week (its MP was so derivative that I tried it several times, exterminated all opposition with ease and realize OpenRa/RA2 was better).

Forged Battalion I didn't even try, guess it was dead in days.

They should take a Hot New IP and do it properly with excellent MP support. I guess a Dune remake could be golden, with the movies an' shit coming.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
It's funny, last time I played TibDawn must have been within the last 5 years, possibly 3, and while I remembered the NOD campaign being rough at times, mostly because of the disproportion of forces (grenadiers and medtanks wreck your face something vicious before you get light and flame tanks) and aimbot airstrike spam, but playing the remaster now, some of the missions are just soul-crushingly difficult. It might be that I didn't play on hard before (did TibDong even have difficulty settings?), but that seems almost impossible.

Case in point, I just crawled with my face over sandpaper in the mission that is preceded by Seth committing suicide by Kane, and I simply don't remember having to go through anything as difficult before. You start with 6 riflemens and 4 rocketmens, have to kill some grenadiers, riflemens and a medtank to call in a chopper, sell a half-destroyed base to get engineers, take them over a river to cap a minimal GDI base surrounded on all sides by all sorts of ridiculously annoying troops, and then withstand the almost unending meatgrinder of incoming grenadiers, humvees and medtanks, and that's without even mentioning the constant airstrike spam on your harvester.

I had to restart this shit like 5 or 6 times and micro manage my every move with split-second precision to squeeze the most optimal outcomes of that terrible, terrible starting situation for like the first 15 or so minutes of the mission. Once you build up it's smooth sailing, of course, especially since you retain the transport chopper and can drop engineers into the main GDI base, but the beginning is nothing short of complete hell - it's one wrong move and you're dead, simple as that.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Also speaking of airstrike spam, the one thing I had really hoped for them to touch in the remaster when it comes to actual gameplay are the completely fucking useless NOD sam sites. All they had to do was swap them for the Red Alert versions where they don't have that ridiculous pop-up animation that makes them shoop long after the enemy is fucking gone already, but nop. I'd want to say there is absolutely no reason to build them, but today I found that they apparently trigger some kind of global taunt (at least in one mission) that makes the AI send all its troops forward with the sole agenda of wrecking your sam sites, so you can build them in some strategic killy spot and cover the way leading to them up the ass with turrets to provide yourself a relatively peaceful existence.

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
The Red Alert campaigns are miles better than the base TD campaign. Still have to try Covert Ops and the spec ops missions though. Anyone know if they're less annoying than the base NOD missions?

Dayyālu

Arcane
Did they improve TibDawn's non-existent AI? I don't remember the baseline campaign being too difficult, the enemies were sitting ducks and easily exploitable (for example, the AI always targets for airstrikes the first unit from left up, if I remember right, making trivial avoiding them with smart minigunner placement).

If they improved the AI, the mission design was kinda rough, yes. There's a reason I called 'em archaic.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Did they improve TibDawn's non-existent AI? I don't remember the baseline campaign being too difficult, the enemies were sitting ducks and easily exploitable (for example, the AI always targets for airstrikes the first unit from left up, if I remember right, making trivial avoiding them with smart minigunner placement).

If they improved the AI, the mission design was kinda rough, yes. There's a reason I called 'em archaic.
Airstrikes were improved. Now they always kill my commando I get for missions lol

ArchAngel

Arcane
The Red Alert campaigns are miles better than the base TD campaign. Still have to try Covert Ops and the spec ops missions though. Anyone know if they're less annoying than the base NOD missions?
RA campaigns are much much easier and as a result not that interesting. You just spam tanks and overun whatever enemy has

Erikkolai

Learned
There's a game-breaking bug in the final Soviet mission. When the enemy sends a Radar Jammer unit to your base (around 30 minutes into the match), all units and structures become permanently invulnerable. I don't know if it happens without exception or not, but restarting the mission didn't help in my case.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom