Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

World of Darkness Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines 2 from Hardsuit Labs

Hellion

Arcane
Wait didn't the world of darkness go to shit thanks to Gehenna shortly after Bloodlines? How is Damsel around? Thought the new Vampire P&P was a completely different world? Am I wrong?

ThirdParallelIberianmole-size_restricted.gif

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Wait didn't the world of darkness go to shit thanks to Gehenna shortly after Bloodlines? How is Damsel around? Thought the new Vampire P&P was a completely different world? Am I wrong?

Gehenna was retconned, now it's a cyclical event wherein the antediluvians call all the elder vampires to the middle east so they can feed upon them before going back to another torpor.

Vatnik Wumao

Gehenna was retconned, now it's a cyclical event wherein the antediluvians call all the elder vampires to the middle east so they can feed upon them before going back to another torpor.
The very concept of end times is stupid anyhow (not that the retcon you've mentioned is any better). Why can't people just enjoy the setting for what it is? Plenty of fluff to expand upon without going (much) forward in time.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron

The very concept of end times is stupid anyhow (not that the retcon you've mentioned is any better). Why can't people just enjoy the setting for what it is? Plenty of fluff to expand upon without going (much) forward in time.

It would perhaps kind of make sense if the Antideluvians embraced new progeny during the event, explaining the existance of all the 4th generation Cainites in the first place.

In other words, a "Gehenna" ought to be the beginning of a millenium-or-longer period of Antideluvian activity, the likes of which was last seen back in the Dark Ages.

Harthwain

Magister
The very concept of end times is stupid anyhow (not that the retcon you've mentioned is any better).
I wouldn't say it's stupid in itself. It's a good idea to have some things that vampires can pursue or be afraid of. It gives them a drive, other than the struggle for power. What is stupid is trying to determine it in an absolute way. It's always better for such things to remain semi-mistical, with enough leeway for anyone to make their own theories.

Vatnik Wumao
The very concept of end times is stupid anyhow (not that the retcon you've mentioned is any better).
I wouldn't say it's stupid in itself. It's a good idea to have some things that vampires can pursue or be afraid of. It gives them a drive, other than the struggle for power. What is stupid is trying to determine it in an absolute way. It's always better for such things to remain semi-mistical, with enough leeway for anyone to make their own theories.
Well, what you are talking about is not about bringing forth the end times, but just foreshadowing them within the fluff. That in itself is alright, but actually moving the plot forwards to the end times rather than simply hinting at what would ultimately happen within the setting is shooting yourself in the foot. The end times should serve as a bittersweet farewell to a setting which is either being discontinued or relaunched (as in the case of Age of Sigmar), not as the natural progression of a still popular franchise.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The end times should serve as a bittersweet farewell to a setting which is either being discontinued or relaunched (as in the case of Age of Sigmar), not as the natural progression of a still popular franchise.

They did discontinue the line, but the New World of Darkness wasn't popular so they had to bring the old one back and explain the deal with that Gehenna business in a way that didn't disregard it entirely. :M

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Silly that a setting can't have a timeline with an ending, and then you just set stories before that ending. Bloodlines 2 could have taken place in 1981. Why not? Then you get rid of the cell phone problem as well.

I guess the difference here is that with WOD you have to set it in whatever the present day is so that LARPers (real LARPers, not Codex larpers) can still play dress-up.

Vatnik Wumao
Silly that a setting can't have a timeline with an ending, and then you just set stories before that ending. Bloodlines 2 could have taken place in 1981. Why not? Then you get rid of the cell phone problem as well.
The issue with an ending is that it can diminish the impact of stories set earlier within the setting. Fans can lose all interest in some particular characters and/or factions if they felt that their stories all built up to something which is (subjectively) shitty.

Harthwain

Magister
Well, what you are talking about is not about bringing forth the end times, but just foreshadowing them within the fluff. That in itself is alright, but actually moving the plot forwards to the end times rather than simply hinting at what would ultimately happen within the setting is shooting yourself in the foot. The end times should serve as a bittersweet farewell to a setting which is either being discontinued or relaunched (as in the case of Age of Sigmar), not as the natural progression of a still popular franchise.
Then we are in agreement.

ChildInTime

Learned
I'm very bothered by the broken russian on Damsels shirt btw. Couldn't they look it up online or something?

What does it say, or better, what is it supposed to say?
I think their goal was to write "future nemesis".

I'm no language expert, so I can't explain it in the right way, but basically there are three gendered versions for the word "future" in russian - (f) (she) она - Будущая, (m) (he) он - Будущий, (nb) (it) оно - Будущее.

So it should say "БудущЕЕ возмездие" instead of "БудущАЯ возмездие". You simply can't write it like it's written there in the trailer, because adjectives in russian differ depending on the noun to which they belong.

Now that i've tried to exlpain it, it actually does sound rather complicated, so maybe it ain't as easy as looking it up online.

:hmmm:

Zer0wing

Cipher
I think their goal was to write "future nemesis".
Future retribution/Retribution to cumcome rather. Sounds retarded when directly translated to english, I know. But 'nemesis' is a noun in russian. And sounds cringy as fuck - "будущая немезида". Ugh.
Now that i've tried to exlpain it, it actually does sound rather complicated, so maybe it ain't as easy as looking it up online.
Simplest googling would explaing it pretty simple - russian language has three genders for adjectives which change the end of the word accordingly. The end. The rest of busy work is just to look up the english-russian dictionary.

Sarkile

Magister
Patron
I'm very bothered by the broken russian on Damsels shirt btw. Couldn't they look it up online or something?
It could make sense if she was just a stereotypical dumb Commiefornian who bought a shirt because it looks cool without understanding what it means or says. Or Hardsuit was lazy.

Zer0wing

Cipher
On the argument of her outfit making sense in the first place, I'd rather they give her a basic T-shirt with Carnivore's Retaliation print. Would save the meaning of the message but make it less retarded and still in-style.
This album

Delterius

Arcane
Only people who are really gone are some of the older vampires who can't resist the call of Gehenna and the Sabbat who followed it willingly, trying to kill the eldest. Damsel is too young and an Anarch.

TBH we used to think Damsel was the bald brujah with bad makeup from earlier promo material so its a good thing she still looks like herself.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom