Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Elite: Dangerous

Perkel

Arcane
If anyone wants to hop into the game, there is a huge sale on the developer's site:
https://www.frontierstore.net/games/elite-dangerous-cat.html

I bought both main and expansion and i am still kind of butthurt about it.

That being said Elite in VR is one of the best thing you could experience for whole 5 hours before you find out that game has no depth

praetor

Arcane
lol, FPS is the last thing this game needs. and considering how incredibly awful they are at designing gameplay loops, i can only imagine what a trainwreck will be the most boring FPS on the planet and beyond...

Morkar Left

lol, FPS is the last thing this game needs. and considering how incredibly awful they are at designing gameplay loops, i can only imagine what a trainwreck will be the most boring FPS on the planet and beyond...

Space legs is actually the only thing that might me wanna give it another try. But I honestly fear their implementation and gameplay elements.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Star Citizen: ayou can buy our specially desined FOOTWEAR. We are introducing new deonations with several tiers. With first one you can have space sandals and with top you will recieve digital replicas of Gary Oldman's boots!
*Also you will recieve entry to our brand new pre-alpha

tindrli

Arcane
iWKad22.jpeg

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I like the game, but I really wonder wtf they were thinking with that.
SRVs are already very lackluster and their missions generally not worth the time spent on them (compared to anything you can do using only your ship).
What good would an even smaller perspective do?

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I love all the facepalming in this thread, as if the Elite community did not want space legs. When actually they did. Just look at how many people gave Star Citizen their mnoney for all the stupid features like this.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Fdev haven't given a shit about what the community wants before and, oh also, the ED community consists of literal 60 year old boomers who hate modern game design.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Introducing:

- you can go on foot now*

*things to do on foot coming 2025
Here's whatll happen: The whole thing will be a 40 buck season pass that gets like 3 updates in about as many years. Walking around will open new exciting ways to grind the same shit resources or missions over and over again. The space leg features will be forgotten about immediately otherwise.

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
Grabbed the Deluxe Edition on sale for $20. Pleasantly surprised, seemed like a good time to start playing now that the first season pass is done. Has enough of what you want from an old school space sim, space is first, and the planetary landings etc have been put second. Trade, Mine, Explore, Fight - done. Haven't bitten off more than they could chew like Star Citizen, or just gone completely overboard with the planets+RNG+minecraft like NMS. Planet geometry is actually really impressive, moreso if you're an astronomy nerd. Also like the fact that they've kept it simple with the alien stuff, only Thargoid and Guardian sites, no RNG mish-mash. A lot of allure in the mystery with exploration there. Nice that they have planned to slowly add more content and aren't giving up. Will probably fork out for a Logitech joystick+thruster at some point, it's definetely scratching that space sim itch.

(Heard all the Aussies camp out in a system called "Kunty" - LOL. Will join my brothers there soon.)

:incline:

the ED community consists of literal 60 year old boomers who hate modern game design.
31yo "boomer" here. It's good to play a game that ISN'T going the fucking Minecraft/Survival/Battle Royale route, for once. Not everyone has ADHD lol.

Last edited:

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
Give it another 20 hours until you realize how irrelevant everything you do is.
You think anyone played Privateer or Elite for the "CRPG tier" storyline? Space Sims are Flight Sims, in space - that's why they are popular. When they get the "sci-fi flight simulator" part wrong, they suck. Any indepth lore/storyline etc is a bonus.(probably be more people playing Microsoft Flight Simulator if you had to deal with Boeing 747 pirates along the way
rating_lulz.gif
)

Last edited:

Razor

Arcane
If you have a second monitor ED is a good busywork game- just put something running on the second monitor that you actually want to pay attention to and then fiddle around with ED on the primary. Deep space prospecting lends itself well to this style and using this I have actually managed to travel from the deepest depths of the Formadine Rift all the way up to The Abyss. Without it that would be waaaayyyy too tedious to even consider doing.

As for Odyssey then I really dont understand this obsession with space legs. What exactly are the players hoping to get from this?
FPS combat on boarding? Not happening- a pack of pirates coordinating could hijack entire fleets of solo players.
Walking inside the ship? Thats assuming they actually model and render the insides and even if they do that walking around the same structure will get tedious after a while.

In reality with the obviously hard to code game that ED is I wont be suprised if space legs boils down to- land on planet, stand up from chair "fade out", fade in at ship airlock. No ship interiors rendered. Basically going to the SRV bay without the SRV.
Atmosphere will more likely be a small specific group of moon like bodies with low pressure atmospheres (<= 1-2 bar). Most people dont pay attention to the info given on system map bodies but a vast, VAST majority of rocky or high metal content planets with atmospheres have lethal pressures for any human made object. Pressure suit or no pressure suit. For example the highest I have seen has been around 40 MILLION bars. For comparison, wiki says that the earths core is about 3,64 million bars. Most bodies I have seen go easily into the hundreds of bars of pressure which is about the same as any larger hydraulic system uses. Venus (the actual planet) has about 90 bars on surface and crushes/melts anything that has ever gotten to those depths in about a few hours.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Give it another 20 hours until you realize how irrelevant everything you do is.
You think anyone played Privateer or Elite for the "CRPG tier" storyline? Space Sims are Flight Sims, in space - that's why they are popular. When they get the "sci-fi flight simulator" part wrong, they suck. Any indepth lore/storyline etc is a bonus.(probably be more people playing Microsoft Flight Simulator if you had to deal with Boeing 747 pirates along the way
rating_lulz.gif
)

The game has no story. I was referring to player agency which is nonexistent and in fact unwanted by the grognards.

Retardo

Learned
The game has no story. I was referring to player agency which is nonexistent and in fact unwanted by the grognards.

Judging by the level of vidya writing nowadays, I don't think thats's such a flaw. Imagine the same Elite, but with a deep and involving storyline created by a culturally diverse cast of people touching on acute modern topics.

The grognards are still an issue though.
I've seen people on FD forums ranting on how grinding for easy money is deeply wrong because you move through the game too fast and ruin the experience. As if running missions or mining ten times longer in order to get the ship you want to do things you want in a motherfucking game that you play in your spare time to have fun would somehow improve your experience.

Razor

Arcane
They are complaining because they are bored because they think they progress too fast because they can make too easy money. Its a dead cycle.

Been giving X4 a serious go and man, its really sad we cant get a fusion between ED-s flight model plus gigantic scale and the X-series economic gameplay. What the X-series has always lacked is making space as humongous as it should be is but has compensated with compelling gameplay. What ED has always laked is any depth or interesting gameplay but has impressive (although repetitive) scale and good looking, sounding and feeling flight sim.

Going out in the black and after x K ly-s running into Xenon matrix clusters or Khaak hives disintegrating Jovian moons. Or staying around the bubble to build up complex logistical and production lines to jump start the various Powerplay faction economies to overpower the others. Or building your own fleets to get whats best in life: to crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear their lamentation of their women!

As someone aptly remarked: "Instead we got World of Braben".

Last edited:
i didn't expect i'd had to necro this far in time.
does anyone of you have idea what's this legacy stuff? did they really improve the game? did odissey just break the game so much they had to rebuild it entirely? is it just a matter of "w10 only" i'm going to find out in a couple of days and curse angels and gods to death?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom