Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tales of Symphonia is beaten. It starts off very slowly, but gets things goings at a solid pace as the game progresses. This is true for both story and combat.

I do think that I did most things, but I looked at a FAQ, and it seems that I missed some quests, or did not follow them through to the end.

I managed to beat most "super bosses". Maxwell, Abyssion, the special arena fights and all three forms of the Sword Dancer. What I haven't done is visit the optional dungeon. Maybe once all other PS3 games are beaten, I'll do a speed run with things unlocked from the Grade Shop.

On to the sequel, which I hear is inferior to this one.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Trying to work up my enthusiasm for Fallout Tactics and failing.

I find it a huge decline after Jagged Alliance 2 and OpenXcom.

I just don't feel in control.
The game some times suddenly changes to real time at akward times.
It's very hard to judge movement. Unless I hold the Shift key the game won't allow me to use the last four APs for movement, for example.
LOS is much harder to judge than in JA2 or OX. I can't even tell wether there are windows or other openings in buildings until getting close, and then you suddenly see the whole interior, except for enemies hiding in corners.
And in addition the game crashes frequently.

So more frustration than fun.

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
I was jumping around yesterday between colony base-building games and couldn't
decide what I wanted to play.

I fired up Underrail, which I haven't played in a while, and sunk five hours
into it. Looks like I know what I'll be playing today and in the coming days.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Trying to work up my enthusiasm for Fallout Tactics and failing.

I find it a huge decline after Jagged Alliance 2 and OpenXcom.

I just don't feel in control.
The game some times suddenly changes to real time at akward times.
It's very hard to judge movement. Unless I hold the Shift key the game won't allow me to use the last four APs for movement, for example.
LOS is much harder to judge than in JA2 or OX. I can't even tell wether there are windows or other openings in buildings until getting close, and then you suddenly see the whole interior, except for enemies hiding in corners.
And in addition the game crashes frequently.

So more frustration than fun.

The start is rough in Fallout: Tactics, and there are obvious ways to only succeed at a mission in an 'acceptable' manner, and miss out on the 'optimal' route. But if you persist until about the mid-way point the game improves... not that it does anythng for the UI problems.

Empary

Scholar
The Last Remnant. Game is fun, but nearly nothing is explained (how class changing works, obscure quest requiments etc.)

jackofshadows

Magister
Fallout 2. I launched steam version w/o any doubt, saw sfall on title screen, got bigger resolution and I thought - alright, whatever. All was fine until the moment upgrading armor implants. For both basic ones enh. perk doesn't replace old one but just adds up and resistances stays the same. Wtf? I've never heared about bugs in that regard. But the weridest thing - I saw bunch of my old saves (probably moved them first time I bought the game via steam years ago) and in one of them char has full implants set and it all seems fine (just enh. perks and +10% res to all). Went to Redding just try out install there (first was SF) - there's no option to do it :| Went to VC - doctor just vanished along with his assistant. Fucking unoff. patches...

EDIT: hm, looks like it a very old issue, after all. Suppose I shouldn't gert 1 lvl implants in SF though.

Last edited:

Kitchen Utensil

Why can we not have more games with beautiful prerendered backgrounds like this...

Naraya

Arcane
Decided to get some use out of the Thrustmaster HOTAS I got for Elite Dangerous and then got bored of after a couple of weeks, so I installed Freespace 2 from GOG
How did you find playing FS2/FSO with this joystick? I had a really hard time aiming properly. I switched to KBM and it was glorious.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Decided to get some use out of the Thrustmaster HOTAS I got for Elite Dangerous and then got bored of after a couple of weeks, so I installed Freespace 2 from GOG
How did you find playing FS2/FSO with this joystick? I had a really hard time aiming properly. I switched to KBM and it was glorious.
Although I didn't play it with HOTAS, only with a simple joystick, the aiming takes some time to getting used to. But in 5 minutes you get used to it and it is a much more immersive feeling to play it that way.

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Although I didn't play it with HOTAS, only with a simple joystick, the aiming takes some time to getting used to. But in 5 minutes you get used to it and it is a much more immersive feeling to play it that way.

Yeah, using default 1 to 1 mapping in Joystick Gremlin and only tweaking the sensitivity slightly upwards in game, I got a decent feel to the aiming. I know you can do all sorts of stuff with joystick axis curves, but for me it wasn't necessary.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Installed Gothic from a physical copy.
Needed the SystemPack patch for it to work with Win 7.

I remember being disgusted by the control scheme and the forced 3rd person view, and quitting it rather quickly back in the days.
I'm still disgusted, but will try to overcome it.
But it really boggles the mind why you need to fumble with CTRL-Arrow Key in combat, when for example old Ultima Underworld's solution was so infinitely much more elegant. Do Germans hate mice or something?

EDIT: Turns out left mouse button can also be used as Action key, even though it does not show when remapping keys.

The most clunky UI I've played with was probably the original System Shock. But it made sense, since it was a complex game, and I got used to it. The controls in Gothic - requiring two keys or mouse+key for simple actions - does not make sense. It's not a big practical problem for me, I just don't understand the logic behind it.

Last edited:

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Started two games last week, but haven't gotten to play very much of either: Demon's Souls, which finally runs OK on my potato, and Trinity. Initial impressions are very positive, DS has that special something that Dark Souls 2 and 3 lacked, and Trinity seems to have a special something also. Not really sure what I'm looking at yet, but I like it.

Installed Gothic from a physical copy.
Did you drop Fallout Tactics then? Shame, there's a good game in there, though if you've got JA2 fresh in mind I can see why you would. Tictacs is not really in the same league. Maybe if I'd come at it fresh today I wouldn't have bothered either.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Playing Majesty 2:

Having conflicting feelings about it, the idea of a RTS where you indirectly control your heroes is interesting and kinda of fun but there is not enough complexity to the system to keep it going, on the title, it says it is a Fantasy Kingdom sim but it plays more like a limited Age of Empires where your units level up and dont do what you wish them to and not like a simulation at all. It is obvious they designed the game to be played online as the design is meant for you to play a match instead of going on a deeper simulation design.

This idea of hands off kingdom management simulation/RTS with a proper economic system and longer term minded design would make this game much better. The idea of you making money selling potions to your heroes, inns where they spend their gold and you giving them quests is really clever but this game is so streamlined to play like a by the numbers RTS where its design dont support the idea, in the end is a really limited Age of Empires game that tried something interesting but never gone far with the idea.

I didnt play Majesty 1 very much, only the very beginning of the game many years ago, the thing just doesnt work on my PC anymore, is it as bland as this one? I heard Majesty 2 is inferior so maybe the first one did more justice to the concept, I dunno. I tried Majesty 2 and while I'm kinda enjoying it, the main campaing is short with 16 missions and I'm already bored by it

One thing I never enjoyed on pretty much most RTS games is that most of them, with a few exceptions, have very shitty single player modes where you just destroy bases from an enemy Ai that can barely fight back and is worse than even the skirmish mode Ai from the very same games.

This one is even more confused about its design, the designers seem to realize that their control methods dont work for a traditional RTS battle of base destroying against the AI so their decision is to just add some "boss" enemy with 35000 health where our goal is to level up your heroes by killing random creatures on the map and just amass a huge hero army to grind that health bar down and they repeat that design blueprint over and over on the campaign, with just small variations. Going to test the expansions a bit but this one will be uninstalled soon by what I'm seeing, it is a pity. Going to replay the Settlers series next.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I didnt play Majesty 1 very much, only the very beginning of the game many years ago, the thing just doesnt work on my PC anymore, is it as bland as this one? I heard Majesty 2 is inferior so maybe the first one did more justice to the concept, I dunno. I tried Majesty 2 and while I'm kinda enjoying it, the main campaing is short with 16 missions and I'm already bored by it
I will find and massacre everyone who insults Majesty 1, just so you know. :P It is hugely superior to Majesty 2, but it is not more complex, so if you want complexity from this game, then Majesty 1 won't be better in your eyes. But it has fantastic atmosphere, no bloated 35000 hp bosses and more interesting missions. But the basic control is similar.

Did you try the HD edition you can buy on GOG? That works for me.

Last edited:

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
The HD edition of Majesty 1 should also be available if you've bought the game through Steam. I've never played 2, so I can't compare, but 1 was fun enough and I agree that it had a lot of atmosphere

DeepOcean

Arcane
I will find and massacre everyone who insults Majesty 1, just so you know. :P It is hugely superior to Majesty 2, but it is not more complex, so if you want complexity from this game, then Majesty 1 won't be better in your eyes. But it has fantastic atmosphere, no bloated 35000 hp bosses and more interesting missions. But the basic control is similar.

About Majesty 1, I dunno what happens, I execute on compatibility mode and admin rights and it still doesnt run, the game doesnt even load. I will try to mess with the compatibility options to see if it works.

About Majesty 2, man, the concept is really fun, that is why I'm curious to try the first game for reals but Majesty 2 mission objetives are pure decline, grinding a huge healh bar/destroying some buildings over there is boring, the best missions were the ones where you are attacked right away and you need to figure out how to defend yourself, the heroes on Majesty 2 have this annoying design as they arent really independent, they dont do shit on their own, at same time, you cant control them so they behave like standard RTS units that you cant control, having the bad of both indirect and direct control.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer

About Majesty 1, I dunno what happens, I execute on compatibility mode and admin rights and it still doesnt run, the game doesnt even load. I will try to mess with the compatibility options to see if it works.

About Majesty 2, man, the concept is really fun, that is why I'm curious to try the first game for reals but Majesty 2 mission objetives are pure decline, grinding a huge healh bar/destroying some buildings over there is boring, the best missions were the ones where you are attacked right away and you need to figure out how to defend yourself, the heroes on Majesty 2 have this annoying design as they arent really independent, they dont do shit on their own, at same time, you cant control them so they behave like standard RTS units that you cant control, having the bad of both indirect and direct control.
I don't remember much from Majesty 2, because I fled from it after a few hours of play. But I remember that the heroes really did fuck all in the town. The first game is much better in that regard, the heroes have more personality. There are heroes which are great protectors in the city. The knights and Priest of Lunord are patroling the city, and you don't really have to force them to.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
the heroes on Majesty 2 have this annoying design as they arent really independent, they dont do shit on their own, at same time, you cant control them so they behave like standard RTS units that you cant control, having the bad of both indirect and direct control.

That description reminds me a lot of the heroes in Majesty 1 too. Though it was possible to nudge them in certain directions with the bounties and some heroes were more adventurous than others.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I've gone berserk on Steam demos. Only played turn-based games.

Cris Tales
A "JRPG", by western devs. The visual style is hand painted. Combat is fairly jrpgish, with some timed button presses to deal or mitigate extra damage. There's a time mechanic for both combat and exploration, that could possibly be fun. The demo convinced me that I do not want the game. The writing and voice acting would annoy me to no end. Some codexers might enjoy it, but the majority of this forum can just ignore this.

Project Haven
It starts with your handler talking to you while the screen moves towards you and your mission. My first thought was "Oh no!". She's nerdy looking and is very edgy, but the actual combat seemed fun for an alpha demo. The third person shooting is interesting, and it reminds me of Valkyria Chronicles. Combat is turn-based and uses action points. You can peak, sneak, crawl and lean to get better vision. Characters can't see behind them. All these things made it feel like positioning will be very important in the final game. I was being overconfident and thought to myself that I would just stomp everything in my way, but that meant death for my female squad member. I had to do half the demo with the dude, but it wnet well. His shotgun did some nice damage. This is a game for codexers to look forward to in general, and for turn-based fans in particular.

Together in Battle
This is a mixed bag. Character portraits are horrendous. I mean, they're not "so bad that I am laughing" bad... they are "so bad that I feel sorry for who made them" bad. There's nothing wrong with the writing until you get to the Fire Emblem style partnership conversations. Those were cringe as fuck. In the demo, you have a few arena battles to fight. You get to control 6 characters. You're free to recruit them as you wish. I had a spearman, an axe wielder, a healer, an engineer and two mages. I added an assassin to the mix, which I put in instead of the engineer. After the second battle, I could buy golems (random event) and some lizards were added to the recruitment list. Game plays like a Japanese SRPG. Squares, turn-based, you go-I go combat. No initiative system for individual units. In between battles, you can either fight, shop or recruit characters. Combat is decent for this type of game, it's something that I could buy for a tenner, maybe.

The Feud: Wild West Tactics
There's only one battle that you can partake in. It's very slow paced. 2AP system is what the game says. There isn't much to say about this. Each character has some abilities. Fill up a clock by taking actions (or getting kills?), and you'll be able to go into showdown mode with an enemy. Win it and you'll either kill the enemy, or defeat them outright. I lost my showdown and lost almost all health. Cover works like in X-Com, but there are four states. Empty shield is the weakest. 1/4 cover, 1/2 cover, 3/4 cover and full cover. Exposing your enemies while they are covered seemed important as the game explained. I had my melee character run up and shank at least 3 enemies. You can also get in some kind of rampage mode that allows you to use a very good ability. My rifleman got the ability to lookout (overwatch) without any line of sights restriction on the upcoming turn. My revolver dude had an ability where he was continuously shooting at the enemy, suppressing them. In general, this felt like X-Com in the Wild West. After the battle, characters did get level ups and the party gained items, but the demo ended there. Might pick up during a sale.

Jack Move
Western made "JRPG". Cool pixel graphics, turn-based combat and pretty straightforward exploration, with some branching paths for collecting treasure chests. Better than the games Zeboyd have been putting out. Not as cringe overall, and a bit more serious. It still has that over the top charm that one can smile at. So, when I say more serious, it might not be super accurate per se.
This is actually a likely purchase, but not on PC. A perfect game for console. The game froze after I beat the demo boss, and now Steam doesn't even recognize that I played the game. :itsamystery:

The Fellowship Saga
5E Blobber coming out of nowhere. This is cool, but needs a better UI and bigger text, stat. You get a 5 man party. There's no grid. Looks better than I thought it would. I'll play around with this a little bit more. I didn't have time to play around much other than the first battle, going for dinner right now. However, this is a likely purchase when everything is smooth and polished.

Erikkolai

Learned
I've wrapped up the 'Remnant: From the Ashes' DLC, the C&C Remaster, and the early access of Exanima. Now I'm going to play Two Worlds, and likely Two Worlds II, for the first time. They've been recommended to me so damn many times, and been compared to the Gothic series, so I've got somewhat high expectations. Will try to do a blind playthrough without using the Wiki or save scumming.

I should probably just grab the top package here. But can any of you comment on the quality of the extra DLCs in the bottom package?

Annotation-2020-06-19-160611.png

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Right now i am playing my favourite relaxation game, Two Point Hospital. It is awesome. It is not challenging and it doesn't have to be (though late game missions do increase in difficulty), but it is lots of fun. Anyone who liked Theme Hospital as a kid needs to get this. Bonus: Has native Linux version.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
More demos.

The Iron Oath
I only got to fight a few battles. They weren't very difficult, probably for demo purposes. There's a big chance that I will really enjoy the final product. It looks and sounds great. The pixel graphics and animations are really well done. Battlefields aren't very large, but that doesn't always have to be bad. There were some cool abilities and synergies. Nothing mind blowing, but you can set up traps and push enemies on them as one example. You get to explore a dungeon in the demo. You move from tile to tile, and there, you will either fight, find chests or some other random event will occur. There's also the possibility of scouting tiles ahead, but that costs time, another aspect of the game that will probably be more important than it was in the demo. Unfortunately, the game ends shortly after you exit the dungeon and enter the world map.

Vagrus - The Riven Realms
Lots of text. Lots and lots of text. A ruined world, Gods got angry and then felt bad for they did so they fled. World is fucked, new horrible creatures, etc. You control a caravan, keep track of your fighters and slaves. Keep slaves happy and obedient by treting them well or showing them who's boss. Keep track of supplies and other parameters for your caravan top thrive. You move on a world map and will trigger events and fights. You can enter cities that also have stories, events, markets and so on. You have a certain amount of movement points on the world map. Once you consume them, you have to rest for the day. You get an overview of what happened to your units. You can choose how to distribute supplies. Give more or less, which affects morale and vigor. Combat can also be triggered while you camp. You can have up to six companions in battle. Initiative gets rolled at the start of combat, my team-pc team combat. I'm not really feeling this. There's nothing inherently wrong with the game, but it's not something that I will pick up.

Disjunction
The term RPG is used lightly here. This is a stealth game that lets you improve your character by finding upgrades and gaining exp by doing objectives. Cool pixel graphics and fun but decent stealth. I could see myself picking this up. My gut feeling tells me that it won't be longer than 10 hours.

Suits: Absolute Power
It could maybe be a fun time waster, but the demo bugged out on me after 13 minutes. Standard fare, turn-based fights is what I think this has. I only managed to fight one battle and it was 1v1. Game is black and white, whith what I think will be a JRPG formula. I can't judge it much.

The Way of Wrath
Lots and lots of dialog. They desperately need some editors. English native speakers, these guys are not. There were dialog choices, but I just pressed some choices to move on to combat. Combat, woweeh, does it need some sort of balancing. You take out units in two to three blows. This could be cool, if it wasn't for the fact that some of your units will be killed before they can even take an action. Turns aren't team based where one team goes first, and then the other team goes second. I guess there is a speed stat that the game keeps track of, for who starts first. There are no hexes or grids. It doesn't use 2AP system, instead it uses good old AP cost for movement and abilities. When I was about to encounter a new set of enemies, the game bugged out. I kept getting attacked over and over again. I couldn't progress further and had to quit the game. From what I played, it is a game that I could consider playing at some point in time, but one that I have to pick up at release.

Elden: Path of the Forgotten
Top-Down. pixel graphics, action roguelite(?) You get to start from the beginning when you die, but I still had items to progress. I'm not a fan of the controls, but I suppose that there's not much to do about that on PC. I failed twice at some mage dude, because I kept panicking. If you're good at action games, you will most likely put him down quite easily. Could be fun if you like these types of games, but it's not for me.

HOLMGANG: Memories of the Forgotten
A 3D action game. It's shit. I beat the demo, but I didn't find much to be positive about. Boring combat, fairly ugly, boring enemies and not a joy to control. My recommendation for now is to avoid, unless the final product is much improved.

Dreamscaper
An action roguelike. You're recommended to use a controller (I still used Kb&M) and I can understand why. Controlling your character wasn't bad but still a minor annoyance. Not much to say. You enter rooms, kill enemies and move on. I didn't really see any equipment or upgrades. You get bombs, enemies occasionally drop health, there's a melee and ranged attack. Time your attacks right and you deal bonus damage. There is no penalty for not timing them right, you just do regular damage. The boss I fought was moving around and you had to trigger mines to stun it. Hit it a few times and it will get up and attack. Dodge until mines show up again, rinse and repeat. Might be fun for fans of the genre, but not for me.

The Dungeon Of Naheulbeuk: The Amulet Of Chaos
This was actually... good!? Yep. I skipped past most dialog, but the combat was good enough for me that I might actually pick this up. Biggest surprise of all the demos I have played on my demo bonanza. Exploration isn't anything special, dialog is cringe, but damn, I am still surprised. Flanking, cover, and being careful in general is a must to survive. The game uses a 2AP system. Either move and then attack, or vice versa. There are some actions that can use 2 AP, too. I stopped playing after a certain battle, because I felt that 70 minutes was enough for me to get a good impression of what I am in for. Very likely purchase, if not at release, very likely at a not too steep sale price.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom