Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Commandos-Like Desperados III from Mimimi Productions (Shadow Tactics devs) - now with Money for the Vultures DLC

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Over the decades following the original Desperados, Snake In A Sack went on to star in (and sometimes produce and/or direct) a series of spinoffs of varying success. Despite (or perhaps because of) the profitability of these new properties, he never again regained the heights of critical acclaim realized in the earliest moments of his career. Perhaps a rehash of his greatest triumph would fall short, but I for one am disappointed that he chose to not even try. Even a snake should know that an influential career is not always about the money.

Lemming42

Arcane
GAME BREAKING BUG.
Isabella's cat ability won't trigger properly.
DISASTER

This game is seriously good though, best game of 2020 so far.

EDIT: Oh, no, there is no bug, I was using it wrong.

Last edited:

Zyondyne

Learned
Just a curiosity, this is a prequel to Desperados 1, so there are a lot of returning characters.
Are voice actors the same? Couldn't find a list anywhere.
I count three (3) returning characters, none of whom sound anything like the original actors in the trailers. No, none of them are reprising their roles for a studio that no longer exists 19 years later.

Well, I thought this was the case.

Cooper's dad (from the tutorial level) sounded very much like the original actor for Cooper. Would have been a wholesome easter-egg if it was really him.

Unwanted

Horvatii

Unwanted
if its not featuring homage to this i aint bying...
Wpr5coT.jpg

i guess i have to finish the last 2 shadtacs missions which i dropped out of boredom
a5PnD1a.png

Child of Malkav

Erudite
Finally got Isabelle now. Yeah, she's pretty OP but fun. With her ability to link 2 enemies you can pull off some pretty awesome neutralizations. Also when they're linked they respond to the same distraction even if they're quite far from each other, I still need to test this further. And you can use Kate's perfume vials or Isabelle's cat to reduce both their vision range. Whatver happens to one who is linked happens to the other one as well. Yeah, a new horizon of tactics opens up once you get her.

Lemming42

Arcane
Just want to praise the game some more, I'm on the third mission of Chapter 3 and literally every single mission is good. This isn't just a very worthy successor to Desperados 1, it's actually a better game in a few ways.

Virtually everything that I didn't like about Shadow Tactics is gone and the level of freedom you have in manipulating enemy AI and finding all kinds of solutions to problems rivals Desperados 1. I'm also doing a completely non-lethal playthrough and, like in Desperados 1, it gives you a nice extra challenge without making you miss out on anything.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
i just met jsut the first train mission with cooper and the doctor. it doesn't really differentiate between shadow tactics yet mechanic wise, but the game is still good. basically the characters skills are the same for now but with guns.

Lemming42

Arcane
I'm also doing a completely non-lethal playthrough
does assassination targets like
hector's first mission in that town count as kill?

Oh yeah, those are unavoidable.
The only examples of that so far have been Hector's first mission, and the ranch defence mission where you have to kill 5 Long Coats. I'm on mission 16 or 17 now and there hasn't been a mandatory kill since the ranch in Chapter 1. So that adds up to 9 unavoidable kills in total.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I also like in this and shadow tactics they dont show the badges until you cleared a level once. Makes your first time your own, then if you want you can replay to clear badges and challenges.

Unwanted

Horvatii

Unwanted
I also like in this and shadow tactics they dont show the badges until you cleared a level once. Makes your first time your own, then if you want you can replay to clear badges and challenges.
Thats retarded.
There is a nr 1 rule for vidya: dont waste MY time!
Its like unskippable cutscenes, only worse. I am not wasting my time with clearing absolutley trivial levels - several times - wtf?!
I had to looks up the badges online, pick and choose the non-retarded ones to get some semblenace of challenge and entertainment in this RTTBAS.

lo4TVvJ.jpg

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
I've barely begun the game and there are *honk* "gunwomen" *honk* here. WTF? Why choose a Wild West setting when you want to inject political correctness anyway? Regardless, so far I'm not impressed and don't have any motivation to continue, hopefully the levels will become more interesting and not as obvious.

Lemming42

Arcane
It's especially weird because Desperados is renowned for ironclad historical accuracy otherwise, right. Such as the little Chinese girl who shoots people with "Frenzy Darts" and sends them on murderous rampages.

The game opens up more and more as it goes on. The first proper mission with the train is very linear and obvious but it improves from there and pretty soon there are huge Desperados 1 style levels.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
I've barely begun the game and there are *honk* "gunwomen" *honk* here. WTF? Why choose a Wild West setting when you want to inject political correctness anyway? Regardless, so far I'm not impressed and don't have any motivation to continue, hopefully the levels will become more interesting and not as obvious.
Wait until you see all the black people in flagstone.

Lemming42

Arcane
Just finished the game. The final boss is a basically a huge teamwork puzzle, which is obviously perfect as it tests everything you've learned over the course of the game. Much better than the weird knockoff Crash Bandicoot final boss battle in Desperados 1.

Final impressions: Fantastic game, guaranteed day one purchase, hope they make another one, and Isabelle MVP.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom